Help with Field Judging Bear

Horniac

Very Active Member
I got pictures of this northern California bear on my trail camera. I have harvested numerous big game animals but have never shot a bear but have always wanted to put one in my game room. I have read a lot about field judging them but would like to hear opinions from you bear experts on this bear's size, age, sex, or anything else you can tell from the photos.

Thanks,

Horniac

7776pict0061.jpg

667pict0062.jpg

3955pict0063.jpg

Deffinitly a boar. 20" skull, 350lbs plus. And a soup can for a nose. I wouldnt think twice bout pullin the trigger on him.

Not a 20" skull, but a no doubt shooter.

----------------------------------------------------

Go Big, or Go Home

I wish you had some broadside shots of him to see how low the belly is sitting to the ground.

But from what I can see he is a mature boar. He does not have a 20 inch skull, but he is mature. You can tell a 20 inch or bigger skull by how far up the ears stick, on a 20 inch skull the ears just look like little nubs on top of his head, kinda like a teddy bears little ears.

But he is a good bear, wouldn't hesitate to shoot him. What I really think is cool is that big old hump on his shoulders. That is not a typical Black Bear characteristic.

If you can get the shot in day light, take hime for sure!

That is a really nice boar, dont know if he would break 20 or not but if not he is really close! If you get a chance let him have it and tell us!

Thanks for the input guys!

He looked like he had a fairly large skull to me as well but I wasn't sure of his body size. I have more cameras out now so hopefully I will get some more shots of him hopefully during daylight hours.

Here is a photo I got of a bear in the same area last year during the same time period. I saw him two nights in a row about an hour before dark. Not sure if it is the same bear or not but I remember thinking he looked big even at a mile away...

99672011-04-13_0638_pm_bear_sunflower_gulch.jpg

Hopefully he will be hitting acorns during bow season and I will have some time this year to hunt him...

Horniac

He is pretty nice, but not close to a true 20" bear. His ears would look like they were on the sides of his head, and there would be a pronounced crease in his skull. Keep an eye on him, he will be huge one of these days.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom