help with leupold B&C

adirondack

I have a B&C reticle and have been trying to figure out if there is a way to know the exact yardages for each aim point? I have all the info but am new to precision shooting. Thanks rob

If you have you owners manual for the scope you can find the actual MOA subtension spacing for the small and large triangle. Next use JBM ballistics to figure out what yardage would be closest to the hash marks of the BC reticle based on MOA drop. The problem with the B&C reticle is changing the power changes the yardage.

Here is a link that may help also.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/leupold-boone-crockett-reticle-65359/

The problem with the
>B&C reticle is changing the
>power changes the yardage.

but the good news is that by changing the power you can find the perfect spot (spacing of the lines) to match your load.

What are you shooting?...I have found that most of these reticles work best with loads close to 3000 fps and then the lines work at easy to remember yardages (200, 300, 400...etc.)

If your slower than that than you just lower the magnification until it fits. The burris explanation on one way to sight it in is a very good approach. I will try to briefly explain it here.

Sight in at 200 yards. Get a big target (one that is big enough so that you can aim at the top of it and still be on the paper at 500 yards...like a piece of plywood). Place an aiming spot near the top and shoot at that spot. Your group will hit several feet low. Circle your group and spray paint it so that you can return to the firing line and see it through your scope. Now regain your sight picture and place your cross hairs on the original hold (at or near the top of the target). Then adjust your magnification until the 500 yard line in the reticle intersects your spray painted group. Mark your magnification dial for this spot and now your good to go and the 300 and 400 lines should be about on too.

Thanks for the guidence. It seems pretty simple. I will have to get out and try some 500 & 600 yd shots to see how close the math works out. I came up with about 625yds at the bottomaim point. 3300 fps, .507 bc. 180 gr. zeroed at 300yds. if anyone is bored and wants to check my rookie work. Thanks for the info as it has given me confidence that I was working in the right direction. Rob

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom