Helping Deer in Region G (and everywhere in WY)

maxpower

Forgive me for bringing up a topic that's been discussed ad nauseam, but it's important enough we should be hashing it out on the regular.

There are a lot of ideas that have been tossed around about how to help the Wyoming muley (especially in G+H), but many are out of our control. There's nothing we can do about the weather, and only so much we can do about how the WGFD deals with the issue (though we should all be going to RAC meetings and making our voices heard).

So what CAN we do?

1. Predator control. If you live in Wyoming, or you're able to travel there at all, do what you can to kill coyotes, cougars and black bears. Obviously anywhere in the state will help, but the southwestern end of the state is where it needs to happen the most. Antler point restrictions don't save does and fawns, but killing predators does. Bear tastes good too ya know, and although there's no bounty on coyotes at least you'll be out in the field enjoying nature....

2. Buy tags and hunt Wyoming, but hunt whitetails or cow elk. There's no shortage of elk in the state, and while the eastern end is where there may be the real surplus, there are plenty in the western half that compete with muleys as well.
Over the past decade or so I've usually taken my boys out to G to hunt muleys, but last year we switched it up. Now we stay in the eastern end of the state and try to harvest whitetail does. Not as fun as hunting muley bucks, but they taste better and need to be thinned out.

3. Volunteer for wildlife when you can. Whether it's helping install guzzlers or modifying fences, a little sweat equity goes a long way to helping wildlife. Even if it's a project to help another species, sage grouse/pronghorn/brook trout etc, it's not going to hurt get out and give wildlife a hand.

Turn the thermostat down in your house if you heat with natural gas.

Pass out condoms/ birth control in Utah.

Get rid of the archery season for deer in Region G and H

Charge filming permit for NR who exploit the winter range. Use the funds directly for winter range habitat improvement

Hand out morning after pills at the hunt expo

shoot more elk

Says the guy who actually has a booth at the Expo to helps support his own livelihood.......🙄
That’s cute you think I guide for a living. Almost as cute as a guide who has to post pics with his clients animals 😂

Turn the thermostat down in your house if you heat with natural gas.

Pass out condoms/ birth control in Utah.

Get rid of the archery season for deer in Region G and H

Charge filming permit for NR who exploit the winter range. Use the funds directly for winter range habitat improvement

Hand out morning after pills at the hunt expo

shoot more elk

Where is the part on a membership to the MDF ? :cool:

Where is the part on a membership to the MDF ? :cool:
I’m slipping. Days are getting longer so it’s time to hit the mountains. Few more weeks and everyone will pause their concern for G or H until November anyhow….

Kill Whitey !!!!! And his entire family ! The more the merrier !!! Back to the days of half a dozen doe tags each……. whiteys only ! Used to have a group from Vernal come up and wack a bunch every November, even put my huntin buddy on a nice muley one year ! Need more like them !!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom