Hendo KO's Wanderlei

H

huntsonora

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-07 AT 10:55PM (MST)[p]One of the all time greatest fights I have ever seen or been to. Congrats are in order for Dan Henderson for doing what nobody except his friends thought possible, a KO of the defending Pride Middleweight Champion Wanderlei Silva.

Hendo%20KTFO%20Silva.gif

Dan is the first Pride fighter to ever hold belts in 2 seperate weight classes at the same time.

If you have not seen the fight I HIGHLY recommend you get it on PPV. The Shogun/Overeem fight and the Gomi/Diaz fight were instant classics as well.

Drum

Thanks those were two good fights. I really like Diaz it's too bad he couldn't have done better in the UFC.

CW

Great little clip. I will admit that I wasn't too excited to see this card but it turned out to be a great one. A bunch of nice KO's and submissions.

The Diaz/Gomi fight was very entertaining and you don't see the gogoplata too often.

I am very excited to now see Shogun willing to fight for the belt. He deserves it and after listening to the interview with Wandy, he feels it's Shogun's time to shine.

Really a great night of fighting!!

Drum,

Were you as surprised as I was when they annouced Diego Sanchez is going to fight KOS? I just dont think KOS has earned that fight. Yea, he is a great fighter.. but thats going backwards for diego IMO.. Especially since they would let him fight Hughes. Remember the "they are saving him for a title fight" comment he (hughes) made in his blog.

I will say I hope he knocks KOS out,.. and fast.
buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

Drum,
Thanks for the links. Both were cool fights but the Diaz fight really showed what a junk yard dog Nick Diaz can be in a fight!

I for one was amazed that they gave Koschek the fight with Sanchez. Sometimes I think the UFC spends more time promoting their ultimate fighter guys than they should. Its like they are having to build these guys to a point before they cut them loose on the rest of the UFC competition. They end up with guys with incredible records that may not have any real staying power against solid competition. With all the money pouring into the UFC there's got to be some better fighters out there than what's coming out of the TUF show.
Regardless, it'll be good to see Kos fight again...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-07 AT 07:15PM (MST)[p]Well said dslaughter. I agree 100%.

Let's see how Sanchez does against a guy like Matt Hughes. That said, I think Koscheck might surprise some people next month.

Cool post - Hendo's KO is awesome. He set it up with the spinning backfist - you could see Silva's knees wobble then but the left to finish him off was incredible. Sent him into orbit!

The Diaz fight was cool. He could have (and should have) put him down 100 times in that first round but that submission hold is deadly on a guy that has lost his wind already. The foot in the windpipe and the wrist lock over the carotid - LIGHTS OUT BABY!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Wasn't Wanderlei...if he won suppose to come to the UFC & fight Chuck Liddel? I agree Hughes against Diaz wouldn't even be a fair fight, but I do respect Diaz's toughness!

Scratch my last post about the Diaz comment. I meant to say Diaz against Koz isn't really a fair fight in my opinion. Diaz is a better fighter, but I do respect Koz's toughness & like to see him fight again.

BigPun,
You got me to wondering about the Silva/Liddell fight so I've spent way too much work time google'ing the fight that didn't happen. I remember that Drummond said sometime last fall that UFC wouldn't let Chuck fight Wanderlei because Wanderlei had just suffered a defeat (I forget the specifics)...

Here's a great link that highlights a conversation between Dana White and Jerry Millen (the USA Pride promotor).

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=2697&zoneid=1

pretty interesting read...
ds

Nick Diaz suffered a fractured orbital bone in the second round and was still able to beat Gomi. Incredible!

Dan actually broke his right hand in the first round vs. Wanderlei, he is a tough son of a gun!

Drum

Thanks for posting the links to the fights Drum!
Really enjoyed.
Do you guys think the Pride fighers are on another
level from the UFC guys? I think Diaz proved different.

I think that if you compare both organizations from top to bottom you would find that Pride probably has a deeper talent pool.

Heavyweight:
UFC, Cro-Cop, Werdum, Arlovski, Sylvia and Couture
Pride, Fedor, Big Nog, Barnett, Aleksander, Hunt and possibly Vera

Light Heavyweight:
UFC, Liddell, Sobral, Ortiz and Jackson
Pride, Dan Henderson, Shogun Rua, Silva, Arona, Little Nog and Nakamura

Middleweight:
UFC, Anderson Silva, Franklin and Marquardt
Pride, Dan Henderson, Fihlo, Kang, Trigg, Misaki

Unfortunately, one of the best, if not the very best, middleweights in the world is not with either organization, Matt Lindland

Welterweight:
UFC is stacked in this area, clearly has the better fighters. St. Pierre, Penn, Hughes, Sanchez and Parysian to name a few

Lightweight:
Pride owns this division, Sakauri, Gomi, Diaz, Melendez, Ishida are a few.

They are both great organizations

Drum

>Thanks for posting the links to
>the fights Drum!
>Really enjoyed.
>Do you guys think the Pride
>fighers are on another
>level from the UFC guys? I
>think Diaz proved different.

I think that the Gomi/Diaz fight proved that Nick was really a "tweener". Hard for him to get to 155lbs as its difficult for him to find 10lbs to cut. He was fighting guys that walk around at 180+ lbs and cut to 170lbs, Nick walks around at 165lbs or so.

The lightweight division in UFC is 155lbs and below and its 160lbs in pride. Pride does not have a 170lbs division, it goes from lightweight(160lbs) to welterweight(183lbs). Pride was just better suited for Nicks size.

Drum

>Drum,
>
>Were you as surprised as I
>was when they annouced Diego
>Sanchez is going to fight
>KOS? I just dont
>think KOS has earned that
>fight. Yea, he is a
>great fighter.. but thats going
>backwards for diego IMO.. Especially
>since they would let him
>fight Hughes. Remember the "they
>are saving him for a
>title fight" comment he
>(hughes) made in his blog.
>
>
>I will say I hope he
>knocks KOS out,.. and fast.

>
>Later, Brandon

That division is so stacked in the UFC! They really want to groom Sanchez and bring him along slowly. St. Pierre, Hughes and Penn would destroy him so they needed to have him fight Kos. If they can bring Sanchez along and have him have success it makes the TUF show on Spike that much better.

Dana is a very shrewd businessman

Drum

Drum:

St Pierre, Hughes and Penn would destroy him.(Sanchez)

I agree and have always maintained the same. Coming from you it makes it that much more valid. I know when it comes to MMA you (Drum) know your stuff.

I have always said that GSP, Hughes and Penn are on a different level than Sanchez and Dana White is protecting him just a bit. White didn't waste any time by letting GSP, Hughes and Penn beat the hell out of each other over the last 3 years. Where was Sanchez?

Anyway, great post.

Matt Lindland? Don't know if I have seen him fight before?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-07 AT 10:22AM (MST)[p]Great insight by Drum. I agree that Pride has more depth than the UFC right now. I think Dana is making steps to get the best MMA fighters to fight in the UFC.

He recently improved the Heavyweight division adding CroCop and improved the Light Heavyweight division by adding Jackson. I would love to see a Liddell-Shogun fight in the future but I think Shogun will soon bring the Pride belt back to Curitiba, Brazil by defeating Henderson.

I wanted to add a little excitement to the Kos-Diego fight. My buddy sent me this. I don't have Myspace and don't really understand it. This is something Diego posted on Kos's myspace page. He told me it is legit and you can go look if you know how.
From Diego:

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY HUMAN BLANKET, I HOPE YOU PACK SOME BALLS IN YOUR SUIT CASE WHEN YOU COME TO H TOWN, PLEASE DONT TRY TO DRY HUMP ME LIKE ALL YOUR OTHER BORING ASS FIGHTS. IM READY RIGHT NOW!!!! I ASKED DANA FOR YOU!!

P.S. YOU AINT GOT HANDS

Pretty funny if you ask me.

I thought diego was a very christian person (seriously). Im surprised he would write such a thing.. but if he did.. Right on!
buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

I don't care what Fedor, CC or any of them do Hendo is the man !!! You talk about dedacation, just think about all the training Dan has put in in his life time to be world class as long as he has been and he's an elk hunter to boot.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom