Henry managenment tag

highcountryhays

I drew the Henry management deer tag. I live in California, so pretty hard to spend much time scouting. I would be real interested in what people are seeing on their scouting trips. Pictures would be great! Thanks---Mike

>Be prepared for a hunt that
>is a lot like a
>lap dance.....SS

What? Is it like lots of fun but you can't go all the way? LOL

I think SS is telling the truth! You'll see some huge bucks but they'll be off limits for you.

Just be careful, have fun and shoot a big 3X. It should be a real treat.

I hunted it for years when it was general season with a 3 pt or bigger restriction. I shot a couple of my top bucks. I miss those days!

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-13 AT 12:22PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-13 AT 12:20?PM (MST)

good luck with your hunt

That the one you want to find.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-13 AT 06:06PM (MST)[p]Absolutely--that is the kind of buck I am hoping for. Beautiful buck. That picture really fires me up.

7879image.jpg

Talk to jdh he knows his stuff.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Look them over real close. At 2500 yards I had a 34" 3X4.
At 2000 yards he was still a 3X4. At 1000 yards he grew a 1.5" fourth point.
I haven't been that excited since I got my AARP card in the mail.

This is an unreal management tag hunt. Anyone that draws it will have the time of thier lives. Plenty of management bucks. My Dad ended up shooting what would be a management buck a 3 x 5 29" this year on the muzzleloader. He could have done better but was very pleased as it was close to the road. He is at the age where ease of hunt is as appealing as horn quality. We saw several management bucks at a distant through optics that were over or around 30" and mature. We named one of them t-rex after multiple sightings. He was a 3x6 with eyeguards. His passanger side was the 3 point side and it was palmated. He was one of the heavier deer on the unit we had seen.

This hunt in my opinion would be the best bang for your buck in the state of Utah with point creep and the point situation.

A big thanks for all the helpful information I got. Leaving thursday for the Henry's. I will be driving a newer dark grey Toyota Tundra crewmax, pulling a trailer with quads. We will be camping in a tent. My name is Mike. If anybody is down there, drop by and say hello.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-13 AT 10:28PM (MST)[p]I haven't seen so many big bucks since the early 60's. whoever said it was like a lap dance, was right. Saw several 4x4 s in the 32 inch range. One 4x4 might have been 35. Saw some nice 3x3 that upon closer look had small crab fronts that were hard to see. Saw a bunch of 4x3 mainframe bucks that had cheaters. Even made a couple of stalks on bucks, only to find they had a cheater we did not see from a distance.

Saw one monster that had a huge, tall and heavy 4x3 frame but had 4 big cheaters on one side and one small cheater on the 3 point side. It was really exciting. For a few minutes we thought he was legal. Had a great time but it was frustrating trying to find a good management buck. I wound up with a 4x3 that was decent but not what I hoped for.

The only disappointing thing about the hunt, was there were people everywhere. It seemed for every tag, there were 3 to 8 guys helping and running around on quads and side by sides. But overall, it was a great experience. My mind is filled with vivid memories of all the big bucks I saw.

congrats! any pics?
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

I am beginning to think this hunt is a horrible idea. I know a woman who had the tag this year. She found a nice 3x4 (4x4) if you count the cheater. Well she watched this buck for a hour, and made a stalk to get to within range to make sure he was actually a 3x4 and not a illegal buck (all on video). She got to within 70-100 yards, close enough that if there was something obvious that she would have seen it. They checked the buck over at this range again and finally decided to take him as they were 100% confident he was legal. Well upon shooting she made her approach at 50 yards still a 3x4 at 20 yards still a 3x4. Well she gets up to the buck and there is a needle fork that off it couldn't have been bigger around than a pencil (this buck had mass FYI), and it was just over one inch and that made this thing a 4x4 under the rule. So she does the honest thing and finds a fish and game officer to let him know ASAP (before moving the animal) what happened and showed him the video, to prove their story. The fish and game officer confiscated the guns, deer, video, and charged them with poaching. Way to be honest right! It is dumb that they act this way, and then get so pissed when hunters don't report that they hit the wrong animal, and such. You can not have it both ways.

If you cant see a point that's just over an inch long from 70-100 yards I think its time to upgrade optics!

Laws are there for a reason. "3x4" management hunt!

hornkiller.jpg

These Management Hunts get more trophy animals Killed/Wasted than any other Hunt!

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-13 AT 10:41PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-13 AT 10:39?PM (MST)

I was down on the management hunt with my brother this year. I would second Highcountrys assessment. We saw lots of good bucks and a ton of four points with crab claw fronts or main frame threes with a kicker.....and tons and tons of people. Every buck we had on a hit list was either shot on the opener or spooked out of the country. And for those of you that were down there, was that wind brutal or what?!! I am still cleaning sand and dirt out of equipment.
If you don't have high-end optics, then don't bother with this hunt! A few lucky guys shot good bucks right off the road, but the rest of us stared at antlers through our spotters so long that we still see them every time we close our eyes.
Highcountry.... we thought we saw your truck parked on the north end of Horn mtn. on Tuesday morning, but didn't see you or we would have stopped and said Hi.
Also, we watched a 72 yr old from the Panguitch/Circleville area shoot a nice buck Monday night at Horn Springs. If anyone knows him, pm me. I have a picture I took of his deer I'd like to send him.
7539ryans_camera_10-31-2013_124.jpg

2563dscn0989.jpg

just a pic of one of my favorite deer we could not shoot. love the mass.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-13 AT 10:51PM (MST)[p]I can say that sometimes its not just the optics but the damn horns are hard to see. If I remember right the scope is a Vortex Viper HD. Part of the video they had was through the scope and I was not there nor did I see the video as it was confiscated. But I can tell you I did see the citation, and it seems like it was a total accident and actions like this from our DWR employees is the reason people shoot dig and shut up. Part of me loves the management tags and another part of me feels there should be a panel or something to decide what to do in cases like this so their is some uniformity. Also if you notice on the buck in the photo above this comment, the deer has a cheater off the side, its like a pencil and if it was just over an inch I could see how it was missed.

Just got back from 2 days on the Henrys helping a friend with his bison tag. There are more people looking at deer running around there than bison hunters.

Saw 1 very nice buck in the 2 days, about a zillion does.

Last night saw my 2nd buck, a halfway decent 3x4 with barely a 4th on the one side and only 3 on the other. He was about 20 yards from me and my boy on our ATV as we rode up the trail. Got a good look at him.

We have been going to the Henrys for 10 years now during the rut to photograph deer... the management hunt is for sure taking the bucks off the unit. 5 years ago or so we saw lots of 3xX bucks, now we only see a couple once in a while. That is probably why people are having trouble on the management hunt... you draw the tag and figure "there will be management bucks everywhere". Nope, not any more.

I figure the DWR will stop that hunt in the next couple of years... oh, wait, maybe not, this IS the DWR we're talking about.

sled_guy

I don't think that they will stop it any time soon. It is accomplishing exactly what they want it to. They are removing deer from the unit to keep it at objective while keeping the majority of the upper tier bucks. It means fewer bucks, but if you look at the stats, it is producing more upper tier bucks. I think that last stat I saw said last year that 50% of the bucks harvested during the any weapons hunt scored at or above 200. That is nuts!
It would be nice if they could figure out a way to remove some of those big crab claw bucks and the main frame three points, but I'm not sure how you could do that without having a DWR officer tagging along with every hunter to give the okay when a buck was spotted.

I agree taking some of the crab claw bucks would be nice, but let's not forget about the opportunity we are being offered to just hunt these big bucks. My son and I just returned from this management hunt and it was a blast seeing all those big bucks. Yes a little frustrating at times because you are after a management buck, but never the less just an awesome experience. A good management buck was a little tough to come bye but my son Dakota shot a wonderful buck. Here is a pic of his buck. The buck measures 34 inches wide and 24 inches tall and was a heavy 3x4. I will post the story and more pics in the mule deer forum when I get all my pics back. Highcountry you shot a great buck and I'm glad I got the chance to meet and talk to you. Carbonnation, how did Mark do? I did not see you guys after I left Monday. I hope he was able to find something nice. To all the other hunters that had this tag I hope you too had great success and made some memories that will last a lifetime.

Congrats Dakota on a fine trophy "management" buck!
Well done!
You should be a proud papa Mr cisco!
Zeke

I am stoked for both you and your son. That is a great buck. I have been watching and hoping you would post a picture.

Congratulations on a beautiful buck.

I realize that it's a 3x4....or 3xwhatever hunt, but why can't a game warden make a judgement call. If its a 3x4 main frame with "cheaters", then why can't the warden see a pic of it and make a call. It's not like anybody with the regular tag is gonna shoot it.

I know it would probably take too much time and stuff but even a huge 4x4 with crabby fronts or backs needs to be eliminated. I know the rule and all but it would be nice to be able to take those deer that on a large swath of private would still be considered "management" bucks because the "trophy" guys aren't going to shoot them.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

It wouldn't be a management hunt anymore.
Every tom, #####, and harry would be looking for a 3 point with a cheater!

hornkiller.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom