Henry Mountain Questions

sled_guy

So, just got back last night from the Henrys spending time with my buddy on his bison hunt and then looking at big deer. Been doing the November deer trip for several years and this is the first time in mid November that I've been camped at McMillan Springs and had the day time temps in the 50s and night time temps barely below freezing.

Anyway, we saw several very large bucks again this year. It makes you shake your head when you hardly even pay attention to the 25-28" 4x4s because they are everywhere. And I had thought that the management tags would have been cleaning out the management bucks... well, maybe now, we saw several 3x's and a couple of dang big ones.

So on to the question. Where do the Henry Mountain deer winter? From what I can tell the upper mountain gets some pretty heavy snowfall so I assume they move down off to winter. Just curious where that is as there doesn't seem to be a lot of browse down on the West side towards Sandy ranch. And how about the bison, where do they go in the winter?

Also, how much snow does the area get? For example, does Sandy Ranch get a bunch of snow or just a skiff now and then?

Thanks,
sled_guy

I was down on the henries during the management hunt for 3 days and it was tough sorting through all those bucks trying to find a mangement buck that was legal to take. We saw a ton of management type bucks that didn't fit the bill cause of a little pt here and a little pt there. Big framed bucks 28 to 32 inches wide with 4 or 5 on one side and a big 3 on the other with a 1 or 2 inch pt making it not legal to shoot. They gave 30 management tags on the henries this year and it was a freaking zoo. Thats a tough hunt in my opinion. If you happen to make a mistake and shoot one of those type of bucks and the extra pt is 1 and quarter inches, they will through the book at you and then some. Lots of management bucks but you cant shoot them because they dont fit the bill of just a 3pt or less on a side. As far as where they winter not really sure. I would dare say in all those reseeds on both sides of ellen.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom