Henry Mountains Bison Tag

Zim

Very Active Member
Well, Utah has continued to be kind to this nonresident. Just got the e-mail from UTDWR I drew a Henry Mountain hunter's choice bison tag. It is for the 2nd season 11/20-12/07. 200 hunters applied for the 2 available last year.

Hopefully one of my childhood dreams will come true. I've always been fascinated with the history behind this animal and always hoped to pursue an unfenced one. It will be special.

Excited about beginning more research into the area. I thought I remember someone putting their hunt on a video somewhere. Anyone seen this? Thx.

Zim from NW Indiana

Congratulations Zim, That is a great hunt! I got a video of my hunt years ago and would be willing to let you check it out.
We have some pretty neat footage, but kind of shaky as it was our first attempt at videoing a hunt. I'll send you a Private..
a*r

Remember: A bad day hunting is better than a Good Day at Work!!

Congratulations Zim. Totally awesome! How many bonus points did you have when applying for the hunt. Thanks, Rick

I am probably dropping all out-of-state whitetail plans here in the midwest so I can devote a full effort into this hunt, being such a unique opportunity. I can still hunt prime rut instate then just when things are tapering down I will be headed for the Henries!

Given the odds I really never thought I'd get this tag. Really lucky. Have to order some topos. Be very cool if I could check out your video antlerrick.

Zim from NW Indiana

Good luck Zim, I think they make you go to a course that the DWR, puts on prior to the hunt, they go over everything from proper use of 4 wheelers to identifying a young male from a female, they were also helpfully about were they may be located at certain times of the year, the buffalo have been chased a lot out there so they are very skittish.
you'll have a blast on this hunt !!!
congratulations on a neat draw.

BFE, I went through the regulations and it doesn't appear the hunter's choice tag holders are required to attend the DWR course. Looks like that is just for the cow tag holders.

I don't own an ATV but I think it might be a must by the sounds of this hunt. I like backpacking in wilderness areas but not for a bison on my own!

Zim from NW Indiana

Zim,
You totally beat the odds this year. They only gave one nonresident tag one that hunt this year! Congrats.
Evan

I'd heard they reduced the tag numbers. The first tag would have gone to one of the guys with 10 points anyway.

YollaBolly, I had 6 bonus points. Looks like there were 26 guys with more or equal points, and a whole pile of others with less. I'd say my odds were better of drawing any one of the 6 sheep tags I annually apply for. Still waitin for one of those. But this stems the frustration.

Zim from NW Indiana

Just noticed the tag quota for this hunt was slashed from 19 last year to only 9 this year. Anyone know the reason for this? Read online there was a pretty big fire up there last year.

No cow hunters either. This is sizing up to be one lonely hunt. Only 9 hunters in an area that size.

Zim from NW Indiana

Zim, you are one lucky dog(still laughing about Sonora's dog jokes)

Those classes are indeed for the cow tags holders.

Also take a good coyote gun, the yotes are thick out there, as thick as anywhere I've seen.

Way to function Zim
Truly a hunt of a life time. I took a bision my wife and my son both took henry mt Bision. I have been on 5 bision hunts down there. I will help u any way u want. i like it so much i would even carry out your bision on my back if u need. As long as u don't put more then 500 lbs on my back at one time. Come in to Salt Lake before heading to the henerys and i will give u heads up. Be ready for anything. Can be a walk in the park or the bision might be at 10,000 ft in belly deep snow. Like the year i drew a tag. It stormed so much u couldn't even get to the Henerys. All the roads were washed out. The day before the hunt the roads were fixed. And the bision were happy to see me. My son it took us 15 days before we even seen a bision. My wifes was 5 days, Mine 2 days. Hunted hard on all of them. It is the land of Zion. Don't drive off cliffs like my son did. He was 14 when he took his bision. And just to make it more interesting he was learning to drive. Well the story goes slick road. Off a cliff. Sleep in truck for 2 days hanging on a cliff!
Rut. [email protected]

Does anyone know if there is a good meat processor in the Hanksville area?

My outdoors club wants to buy 1/2 my bison for it's big game dinner, if I get one. I'd likely drive home with the beast quartered and process it locally, but I need to be prepared if something changes.

Thx,
Zim from NW Indiana

Mr. Zim,
It's been awhile since you flew through the "Hanksville area" hasn't it. You can get a motel room and a tank of gas and dinner. That's about it. It is a very small community. There may be some folks that can help you a few hours drive away though. It may be the very best if you could ice the quarters (or pieces) and drive for home. Send me an e-mail. I have been meaning to talk to you about your tag this year. You are one HECK of a lucky guy. I have been putting in for that tag for forever. We do have a cow tag for the late hunt in December, so that should be fun.

Anyway, send me a PM or an e-mail. I'll get in touch with you. Congratulations, KattKrapp

If you get a mature bull it would be best to just turn it into burger. At 3-4 years old the bulls develop grizzle in even the best cuts of meat making it very tough. If you can shoot a young in the 800# range. That meat if aged properly will be very tender and have more flover than even the best beef. We did the bull thing a few years ago and learned our lesson. The past winter my 12 year old daughter shot a cow and the meat is fantastic. Try and drop it in its trackes with a shot behind the ear. FYI...we just got my daughters tanned hide back and if I didn't tell you you would swear it was a grizzly bear rug.

What about roasts? My club asked for all roasts for some reason.

As far as shot placement. I got a video that showed taking the neck shot. Most folks I talked to made chest shots. I'd like to do a shoulder mount but I suppose it wouldn't matter much with all the hair. Also, I'll be trying with my bow exclusively for the first 7 days.

Zim from NW Indiana

We just BBQed a prime rib roast from the cow bison and it was tender and tasted great. We tried the same cut from a bull a few years ago and it was tough. We resorted to putting the bull roasts in a crock pot and slow cooked the meat all day and those cuts came out very tender. The meat would just fall apart which allowed you to remove the grizzle. We did the same with the bull steaks...into the crook pot and slow cooked them making swiss steak and such. Added mushroom soup and beef both so meat would not dry out too much. Good luck on your hunt, it should be alot of fun.

Most of my research is done already, but for some of you who have done this hunt I had a question. Do you know the average age class bull taken in this unit? I've located a couple bison ranches in my area to get an idea of size. I had trouble telling the difference between a younger bull and the cows. Have not seen a more mature bull yet to compare.

I called the Henry's biologist today. He is new and did not know much. So then I called SLC but they could not find any data kept with regards to age class.

After looking at some ranch critters it really made me think how great it would be to stalk one of these close with my bow.

Zim from NW Indiana

RE: age

Hi Ken
look for weight,worn horns. The base of the horns will be 4-5" 10 yr bull, his horns will be worn, and look short horns due to the fact that his mop is overgrown and his horns are worn from fighting rubbing and age. Carefull sometimes they are not the best looking bull. And dont score as well as one with long pointy horns. look for a large triangle shape head(front view). The young bull horns come out at a 45 degree then after 2 years point straight up. After 4-6 years his horns will start to curl inward like that of a cow. But the diamiater is much larger. Looking from a side view a cow has a some what of an (S) shape to her horns. A mature bull will weigh 1400-1800 lbs look for what looks like round animal short legs belly close to the ground so it seems. Muscle is dominate in an Ol bull A mop that is overgrown long beard and an dominate hump on the back. He will also look as though he has more of a slick hide on the rear half of his body. a cow and a young bull 8-1000 lbs The only really givin on a young bull and a cow is penis sheath. The penis sheath is the first thing always a must. pound that in your head for any bull. A cows horns are only 2" in diamiater at the base and always curl inward. A bulls horns point up then as years progress they start to curl inward. An old bull horns look like that of a cow but a hell of a lot larger. One of the ways to tell is if he steps on you or tips your truck over. If he steps on u look up at his penis Then ask how big. We will be talking again
KElly
Rut

Ha! I am soakin in the tips. When I visited the new bison ranch here the owner's pointed out how all their cow's horns curled in like you say. That was noticeable. I'm curious how old a bull I might hunt for in the Henry's. Looks like they take 10% on each year's hunt. Fairly steady pressure. If I hunt long enough can I expect to see a bull over 4-5 years old? Also some guys told me they took lone bulls. I can see myself having a hard time using size comparison without having several together.

Got a video on bull judging, but hell it was done in Custer Nat'l forest and these guys were walking right up to them trying to decide between a 9 year old bull or a 10 year old bull!

I wish I'd get my last video in the mail. It's the one done by PSE featuring a bowhunt on the Henry's. Should have some close in pictures. However, I figure since I'll be there alone it would not be a good idea to get stomped on, at least not by a mature bull. :)

Zim from NW Indiana

Zim,
I really don't blame you for being this excited about the chance to draw this hunt. It sounds like you are doing your home work too.

You have already received some really great advice on many aspects of this hunt. I know you have mentioned that you would like to sneak up and get an arrow in one. If it were me, I would leave the bow home, and load up some big energy belted cartidges and get sighted in for a few hundred yards. A few years ago, a non-resident dreww the hunt. Came to Utah with only a bow. He came a few days before the hunt, and hunted every minute of the hunt. Did not miss a day. He caught 2 glimpses of buffalo, and never even came close to getting a shot. Once in a lifetime hunt gone forever. I personally would not go on this hunt without a big boy rifle at LEAST as a back-up.

Many of the biggest and oldest bulls will be by themselves or with 1 or 2 older bulls. I have seen bulls that I know were over 10 years old hanging all by themselves away from the herds. The younger "prime" bulls, as soon as they can establish dominance, will kick the older bulls out of the herd and not allow them back in. A large old solitary bull is probably going to be an older bull. If you see a herd, and there is a mature bull anywhere in the bunch, it will absolutely amaze you how large they are. If you have some average animals there to compare him to, there won't be any question who is the herd bull or bulls. Some herds have more than one mature bull in them.

Zim, people go on this hunt for quite a few days, and leave without ever having seen anything except a few tracks. Others show up and shoot a Buff before they can even set up camp. Some people think they are about like hunting Herefords in a feedlot, and others will tell you it is the most difficult hunt you will ever have, to kill a mature bull on the Henrys. If you are standing at the "towers", and looking out towards Swapp or Tarantula Mesas, you will be humbled by the country and all the places those things can be. I wish you the best of luck, and after I've been down there a few times this year, I'll let you know what I have seen. What are the dates of you hunt again? We will be down there in December with a lot of folks and equipment etc.. People and equipment come in mighty handy if you happen to get one on the ground.. It is a daunting task, to look at a bull and then remember where the road is..

Anyway, Best of Luck to you. I didn't intend to discourage you at all, these are just one dumb hound guys opinions.. Not worth much.. KattKrapp

P. S. Don't let your hunt take you into the boundaries of Capital Reef Natl Park. They frown on you crossing that border.

LAST EDITED ON May-19-04 AT 09:22PM (MST)[p]Well it took a month to arrive, but I finally got my PSE archery video. These guys found an aweful lot of bison but I bet there were several folks helping to glass behind the scenes. Still took him 17 days to get his shot. I would say after viewing this my optimism for taking one with archery gear was lowered. The terrain out there looks brutal for quiet stalking. Lots of loose rocks. Looked worse than the Book Cliffs where I had little luck getting close to elk. The tape is dated 1995 and they claim the bull taken beat the P&Y world record by 11" at that time. Guy shot his bull from 50 yards and it was walking.

I am curious about one thing with this video. Did they used to conduct this Henry's hunt earlier in the year? These guys wore nothing but t-shirts every day! I saw no snow at all in the video, in 17 days. In the video they also mention there was a cow hunt prior to their bull hunt. Now the cow hunt is after both bull hunts.

The video will be a great help as they mention specific areas and show exactly what the terrain looks like from many views. The importance of patient glassing for long periods was stressed. My scope and binocs are not the greatest, but I expect you are right. This will be more like a mulie hunt where a rifle is more realistic. I was planning on bringing mine anyway. I have a .300 mag and shoot it rarely. But it will be ready for this hunt.

Zim from NW Indiana

RE: seasons

Seems like the seasons and dates change. One thing for sure. A Bison deserves more respect then to shoot an arrow at 50 yds.30 -40 yeah. A bad shot at that distance and well your know the story. And I shoot a bow with the best. Bring your gun shoot your bow. expect the worst and luck prevail you will be wearing short sleve in Nov. Or snow belly deep like I had. Get pumped bud. Buff hump stew!!! And oh boy tounge indian style yum. Oh yeah one more thing!! The bison hump bone is like that of a fishes dorsol fin. It sticks straight up and if one is careful and keeps the hump bone v.s cutting it. It is one of the best bones and the rarest for knife handles. It has a natural shape of a knife handle with turks head butt. One must take it apart at the joint. And it is grey bone v.s white. I have made a couple. You will be one of few that know this.
Rut

Hey bud I went out and took some pics the other day of some shaggy heads the other day. Send me an e-mail so i have your addy. I will send u pics a couple really nice bulls and a couple younger ones. After you take a bison have a tarp with u to dimantel the critter. A pole ax works well. A little rope for spreading his legs. Won't b like my first girl friend. If the weather is warm best figure on heading to town for lots of ice. you will need a couple bags just for the head and cape. Even if it is cold they are so big they wont cool fast. Shoot and keep shooting till he drops. No matter what u shoot. I have seen them go miles even vital shot's. Plan on probably cutting him up in bite size peices if u have to move him far. Chains for your truck good deal. On your way take hogans pass off of i-70 or the fish lake highway through loa. vs hanksville if your want to see some gorgous country. There are a couple of nice motels just west of the Notum road and the west entrance to Capitol Reef. You will access Henry's via notum rd. Bring plenty of water containers The jack rabbits on the henerys all carry canteens. Lots of 3-5 yr ol bulls. 5-7 yr old oh yeah. 8-12 He is smart and u are living right. Good chance he might walk through your camp. Probably when u sleep. Rut

My e-mail is [email protected]

The PSE video I got shows a good variety of different age class animals. This is a great video. Lots of scenes from right where I will be hunting.

Zim from NW Indiana

RE: seasons

Hey Zim,
You commented about the weather. My hunt started Nov 18, and it was 85 degrees that day. But other years hunters have had to buck snow throughout the hunt. Just like any other hunt, it really depends on what's going on with the weather. I think the biggest percentage of the time, the weather is very mild during that time of year, but prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. Sounds like your preparations are coming right along. Hopefully with all the MM guys keeping an eye out, you will know right where to start and have a great hunt.
As I mentioned to you before, I had planned on hunting with a bow, but had to have back surgery a couple months before my hunt and wasn't allowed to shoot my bow before the hunt started. In my situation, which you seen from the video, I could have easily got an arrow into my bull, but was forced to hunt with a rifle. A friend who drew the same year hunted the whole hunt with his bow and never got any closer than 80 yards, and only put the stalk on two different bulls. He ended up taking a young bull the last day with his rifle. It all depends on a lot of luck. It's just typical hunting, and a little luck can be the difference between success and failure, no matter how well prepared you are. Will keep in touch..
a*r
A bad day hunting is better than a Good Day at Work!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom