Henry's Buffalo Hunt 2014

stretch

I got extremely lucky and beat the odds to draw a Hunters choice second season tag on the Henry's this year. I helped a friend kill a bull in 2012 and know it is a tough hunt.

I heard last year the hunt was really tough due to snow and it looks like success was down compared to previous years.

I would be interested to hear how the season went from anyone who was down there hunting and what they might do different if they could hunt it again.

I know it will take a lot of work and luck to kill a big bull but I plan on giving it everything I've got.

Thanks for any info you are willing to share.

We had a great year down there last year we killed this bull opening afternoon. to make it all even better he was the bull we scouted all summer. He was bumped by some other hunters that morning and while we were looking for him in lower country we didnt have any luck turning him up. so we hopped in the rzr to go look in another area for him that was kind of in the middle of where he was bumped from and where we had been looking. About 2 miles down the road he decided to come find us. My hunter made quick work of him and layed him down 5ft from the road. 2 days later our luck ran out for easy buffalo and our other guide and his hunter put down his bull in some thick deep nasty he!! Hole. This bull made B&C all time and our other bull fell a little short but it was still a great bull and a great hunt. We got out of there just in time before the storm hit for that second hunt. It is a tough hunt and I can say I was lucky on this one and it will never happen again. I will be down there for the first hunt again this year. Good luck and if you are looking for help send me a PM.

www.hightopoutfitters.com

Wow, thanks for sharing the photo and story of your 2013 hunts. That is a awesome bull and definetly shows what the unit is capable of. I checked out your website and you have taken some great bulls over the years.

The amount of points is kind of embarassing. I grew up in Utah and started putting in for moose when I could. After seven years I switched to desert bighorn and figured I may draw out if I put in for 30 years. I got lucky and drew an Escalante tag with 6 points so I started putting in for rockies at that point.

When I moved to Colorado a couple of years ago and put in for Utah as a nonresident I noticed that I could put in for all of the OIL species so I put in for everything. I was thinking that if I move back to Utah at some point I would have a pile of points and be able to draw something. I was working on a plan to gather points thinking in decades rather than years. I never even let it cross my mind that I might draw a tag.

When I lived in Utah I was the typical Utard and checked my credit card three times a day when rumor started that they were hitting cards. This year I didn't even look and when the email came I started scrolling through it and about passed out when it showed that I had drawn a buffalo tag.

I have friends who have points in the upper teens and havn't drawn so you can imagine the crap I am taking.

I guess this is a long way of saying that I got crazy lucky and drew as a non-resident with 1 point.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom