here we go....

L

littlefoot

LAST EDITED ON Aug-19-07 AT 02:52PM (MST)[p]postin' up some pics for 'jcford'....looks like a terrific trip and some terrific animals. big time congratulations john, now 'step in here' and tell us some more....first time i've seen a caribou 'in the velvet'...neat.

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/gentry/IMG_1722.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/gentry/IMG_1728.jpg

The first pic is of sheep camp in the purples range of the Mackenzie Mountains looking across the Mountain river over into Stan Stevens country. The second pick is of my sheep and my guide, Peter Oxtoby (on the right). The third pic is another of the ram and me. The next is of my caribou. He was an old man wiht three nubs for front teeth, they did not think he would have made the winter. Lots of length really helped his score, 57"+ main beams and 25" bezs. We had a hard time getting good carbou pics becasue we had a grizzly lurking around and I was not wanting to look at the camera. We finally got some of the meat and cape and horns and left out for a few hours, luckily he fed on the carcass and did not bother our other meat and we were able to retieve it the next day and all turned out well for us and the grizz. The bou was shot at 363 yards and I made a good shot on the first shot hitting him low thru the heart, then showed what I was truly capable of missing him 5 times as he refused to go down finally hitting him one more time through the chest and he gave it up. He was a big bodied old boy and Peter and I could not drag him, as we tried to move him for a better position for pictures. I would like to go back and get a hard horned bull some day, I really enjoyed the caribou hunting, kind of like hunting antelope, lots of glassing and usually lots of animals to look at.

We killed the ram on day four and it was quite a day. I think we saw 9 or 10 legal rams on that day. We made a stalk on a ram that reminded us of Roger's ram, I will not say he was as big as Roger's because Roger's is truely a giant, but he flipped out like Roger's and looked really good. Any ways we got smelled and they busted out over the top. We had found three rams that morning early and were going to make a stalk on them when we found the wide flaring ram and decided to try him first. We worked our way back to the basin were we had left the rams that morning. We were working our way along and spotted the rams coming back up on a bench to feed. We set up for a 389 yard shot, but one of the rams got behind a rock before Peter could judge him and see how old he was. We agreed to go over and try and get closer as we were not sure they would come back our way. The next two hours were intense as we were close and just could not find the rams on the bench and we went this way and that trying to find them. Peter kept telling me 85% of the time they are still there and not to give up. He finally got a glimpse of one of them and confirmed they were still there. We put on our whites and decided we would slip right down on them and hope we could make a call when they busted us. We eased down the mountain a step at a time and finally saw horns at less than 25 yards, I quickly sat down and told Peter to call them ram out when they came out, they busted out from below us and Pete called for me to shoot the ram on the right, I hit him on the run at about 30 yards and again as he slowed from the effects of the first shot, anchoring him. We sat and enjoyed the moment and let the other 7 year old full curl ram slowly move off. What a thrill, it really is like nothing else. The ram was aged at 11.5 years old and is 36.25" on one side and slightly shorter and broomed on the other. It was 10:30 P.M. before we headed for camp and midnight before we got there, sleep was still hard to come by as it took a little time to wind down.

It took years of saving pennies to get here and I swear you are in the tent that night trying to figure out how you can get back and do it one more time and it seemed everyone in camp felt the same. I had the priviledge of being in camp with a father son from North Dakota, the son was in a wheel chair. I will not tell the story because it is his to tell. I will say it was a special place in time and it was an honor to get to know them and a pleasure to share camp with them, truely an insperation.

Thanks for listening and I apologize for being so long winded.

Nice job John! Gana River comes through again. I have two big Dalls laying in the shop from the other hunters that just returned. Harold and the Gana River gang continue to crank them out year after year. I have a friend that leaves tomorrow for Gana River and he plans to hunt for a month. Wish I was there.

Roger

Congrats to you on a great hunt and some nice looking trophy's, great pictures to, that up close one of the Caribou in great.

Brian

Congrats on a great hunt! Those are some beautiful animals and great pics...Thanks for sharing em and agian congrats on the trophies....Larry

JC:

Congrats on a great hunt. If you had the same experience as me, you were pretty close to tears when you got to your ram, not to mention a great bull! Thanks for the great story and pics. I am going to try once again to upload some shots fron Photobucket.

Nice Job!

Bryan

beautiful 'bou!! I love that chocolate colored velvet he had.. He'll make a fantastic mount!

Congrats!

JC,

Great to see you had an awesome trip! Sure would like to make it to NWT some day. Could you send some of your hunting luck my way? I leave in 9 days for my Wyoming Rocky hunt. Thanks for sharing the incredible photos!

Dave

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-07 AT 05:41PM (MST)[p]Thanks for all the congats and kind words, a trip of a lifetime for me and glad I got to do it.

dwalton, I will give my sheep horns a lucky rub for you and pray for your good fortune. I bet you will have a great trip.

Nunya, thanks for all the help and info early on, the sheep DVD was one of my workout videos to get ready for the hunt.

Roger, as I have said in e-mails you were a great help with all your info and I owe you one. The Gang at Gana are really looking forward to Charles and his wife getting there !!!

Falcon, it is a special moment walking up to your ram. You ram is beautiful and the pics are great, congratulations

Awesome hunt and pictures. Thanks for sharing. Come hell or high water, I'm going sheep hunting.

Congrads Great Story, great pics. If I hit the lottery will give you a call. Thanks for sharing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom