Heres my 3 yr plan for 61 co

okiecat

So Ive drawn a bear tag for this year. Really excited to get into this unit. Going to use this hunt to learn the unit. Ive got 18 pts for elk and deer. So next year im going to use one for this unit and hope I draw. If that works then Ill be back the next year with the other species. So maybe 3 yrs in a row!!? Then Ill be done. Getting old and wont have time to accumilate points again. Think it will work? Oh thanks to all replys to my other post. Beanman has been very helpfull.

What type weapon and or season are you Considering for the Elk ?
Sounds like a decent plan but I'm not sure if that would be the best use of 18 points maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

How many points did it take you to draw the Bear tag ?

I don't think there is a deer unit worth 18 points in the state right now. The exception is that you have 18 deer points. Certainly not 61 for deer. Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable buck hunters will chime in.

The idea of using your hunts to learn the unit is a good one.

I used 6 pts to get bear tag. I was hoping somebody might have a better deer unit to recommend. Just getting tired of waiting and not getting to hunt in Co. I drew my sheep tag two years ago in unit 32. Really wanted to hunt eastern Co for muley but the price for guides has went up alot, especially if your holding out for 200". Used to take the huntinfool mag looking for units. The good side is Im huntin bear this year!!

The Bear hunt will be a good way to check out the unit for the Elk hunt I will PM you about the Deer hunt.

It's a neat area and you stand a chance of finding decent bear from what I hear. As far as elk goes, I think you'll be on the bubble as far as drawing elk 2-4th season there. The points have skyrocketed and it doesn't help that the quota has been reduced. The area is a hard sell for deer with that many points. I'd be watching the gunny 4th hunts if I were you, but even those will be tough to justify with that many points, especially if the weather does not cooperate.

18 points is a lot. Many on here say that there isn't a unit in the state worth 18 points, I agree, and would also add there's not a unit in the country worth a 18 year wait, but that's the name of the game. That being said what a exciting situation you have got yourself into. 18 points opens up a lot of doors for some great hunts. Wish I had the same delima. Good luck on your hunts when and where you decide to burn them. 4th in the gunnison could be very interesting for deer, especially If we have another easy winter again this year. That's were I would be looking.

worth 18 points ...not sure .but there are some good bucks running around nephew shot a buck during second season 3 years back that scored 196 and change.

Okie, I have been lucky enough to hunt 61 for deer, elk, and bear with my bow three of last 4 years. I think I would look elsewhere to burn 18 points for deer, 61 is struggling to keep up a reputation as a premier deer unit. My observation is that it was better for deer 4 years ago,I had an archery buck tag and it was pretty easy to find a quality buck [170 or better].Last year while elk hunting for 1 week and scouting several weekends I didn't see many bucks over 160 and no real good bucks. The elk hunt is an awesome hunt in that unit....lots of bulls and at least during last week of archery season they were very vocal.
The top end bulls in 61 are there but you will have to let a lot of 300 type bulls walk in order to kill a really big bull [320 or better] It sure was a fun hunt though. I didn't kill a bear with my bow but I did see a couple and lots of sign. Just my observations on your plan. Looks like I will be back on the plateau again this fall as my son snuck in for an archery elk tag. Cant wait to get back there!!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom