Hey Guys

Southern Hunter

I Wanted to go ahead and introduce myself on this forum.

My name is Dakota. I am an out of stater that until here as recently until this year had the realistic expectations like so many out there that the possibility of being able to travel and experience hunting big game out west was going to be an unlikely circumstance until much later on in life down the line.

Thankfully due to being approached by a family member back in Dec of 19 about the aspect of doing a general season OTC hunt for muleys and elk come late Oct-mid Nov this year in unit 39 in Idaho. I had not even the slightest glimmer of any type of thought or Hope's of ever being able to take on something like the trip we will be doing nor being able to afford it as well.

Fortunately at least for myself after doing some research and talking with a bunch of vets that hunt I was able to learn of the great programs as well as resources the state of Idaho had in regards to Veterans and DAV as well. Which is a major factor in itself of why being a DAV I was able to get the signoff to go ahead and get my tags and license taken care of and travel to and from coordinated as well.

In saying this I know mainly in part due to copious amounts of research, skimming, and reading up on article after article and lengthy amounts of forum content. I know the generalized concept of out of staters to the local community and regular hunters is an unsavoury subject to say the least for the most part. However I do want to express how grateful and how much I am anxiously looking forward to have the opportunity to be able to hunt out of state in the west and put forth my best efforts in terms of trying to come up successful in my endeavors. I am not making this post to ask for any handouts or anything of the sort but to Express the excitement I have in being able to go chase after muleys and elk in idaho.

That being said I know that unit 39 for Idaho is not a popular unit for most due to hunter density with alot of crowds from season to season, as well as predation by wolves, and lastly in general a decrease in herd numbers between muleys and elk.

Our plan is to hunt as hard as we can and go as far off the beaten path and roads as we can by foot. Once we reach the areas we plan on hunting We will spend as much time behind glass as possible. We will be in state 14 days during the general season hunt for both muleys and elk during the respective seasons for both. As far as camping situation goes we intend on living out of our packs for 3 days or so at a time heading back to our vehicle to top off on supplies as needed. In terms of physical preparation to the best of our ability in the months leading up there is going to be a serious focus on getting as ready as we can possibly be for the harsh and unforgiving terrain and elevation the unit is known for as we possibly can. In terms of scouting, we are relying solely on our e scouting efforts and the numerous conversations we have had with the state and unit area specific biologists.

Overall I am very much looking forward to my 1st actual out of state trip to the west. Be it as it may a DIY OTC general season hunt in 1 of the toughest units in the state. Still coming from an out of stater I plan to make the most of the trip while we are there successful or not it will be the memories made that will ultimately be priceless for this southerner from Ga. Thanks guys I apologize for the lengthy message but I wanted to introduce myself to yall and just have fun learning about the state and what it has to offer and have the ability to talk in general with those of yall who have experienced hunting in the state and hopefully hear some stories good and bad about hunting in the state. And again I just want to reiterate as I have seen some posts and threads where folks are just asking solely on the premise of freebies and locations for spots, etc.... we have and are working on determining our own areas to check out and hunt for the trip through our e scouting efforts and already have several areas we agree on so far in mind for the trip. Just looking forward to general hunting conversation on here with everyone on the forum.

Welcome to the forum and to hunting in Idaho.
Unit 39 is great hunting.
I recommend getting as high as possible and glassing across a small canyon to the other side.
You will see deer and if you can get in position will be able to harvest.
I wish you the best of luck and we appreciate you choosing Idaho to spend your hard earned money on.
Best of luck.

Thank you for the advise Blindnonresident.
For individuals like myself that are still young and working their way up the corporate ladder and working on establishing solid finances. Opportunities like these are incredible in terms of DIY OTC trips. Beforehand I will be the 1st to admit until here recently in dealing with being approached by my family member regarding accompanying him on his trip to be his plus 1. I was completely oblivious as to what all is out there opportunity wise amongst the many states regarding hunting and fishing. Granted everything comes at a price depending on where you go and what you are trying to go after. But compared to the expense of an entry level outfitter trip it's hard to be able to buy into early on. Sure there are plenty that manage and are able to do so and some day I as well intend on doing the same. But to be able to get out and make an attempt on my own is something I can certainly appreciate and not take for granted.

And yes that is our general plan the areas we have picked out so far vary in range between 6k- 9500 k elevation wise that we want to get back off the roads a ways away from as much of the crowd and pressure factor as we possibly can and glass from the high points in the areas down into the adjacent and lower level terrain in the areas. That being said being prior military thankfully have a bit of an understanding when it comes to what to expect working in rough elevations, terrain and inclement weather conditions. So that is a must and a primary focus to responsibily and properly condition ourselves mentally and physically for what is to come. As well getting the much needed confidence building reps at the range with the rifles we are going to be taking for the trip. I know I need work brushing up on shooting out past 200 yards and have a goal of being comfortable with shooting out to 500 yards and 600 will be my absolute max range that I am going to hold myself to shooting wise. Again this is coming from an out of stater that intends to appreciate the opportunity, make the most of it through my own diligent efforts and we both intend to be as respectful to the other hunters out in the field while there and actually get off the roads and put some hard earned miles under our boots to find what we are after instead of riding roads.

It sounds like you have real expectations which will benefit you in the long run.
Thank you for your service and hopefully that little one will accompany you somewhere down the road.

Thank you and yes. In terms of realistic expectations I would like to believe I do as far as my approach to the preparation and planning leading up to the eventual trip. I am approaching it with both a very much humble but positive outlook for the entirety of the experience. As well I am a firm believer in we are directly responsible for our own successes and failures in terms of how much effort we are willing to dedicate and put into something directly influences the outcome.

As for the little one yes eventually down the line I hope that the 2 of us will be able to partake and share in a trip of this nature in the years to come. I've already introduced decently to fishing and gradually starting to introduce and involve him with more aspects of hunting. Thankfully enough he shares the family passion and drive for all things outdoors and is 100 percent all boy. If it is outdoors related that's what he wants to do or where he wants to be. He doesn't quite fully understand the effects or the meaning of inclement weather or conditions lol and if he had it his way rain or shine he would have his but outside in the muck.

Thanks for the information Idahoron. Yes sir we intend on starting out within that range and encompass the adjacent ranges nearby depending on what we find once we get to where we want to be. Biggest thing that has been mentioned and we have taken notice is having a plan in place for if there is no good snowfall hunt higher up and farther back, and a plan in place if there is adequate snowfall to start pushing them down into the lower elevation type of terrains. It is definitely a learning experience trying to understand the tactics and strategies that go into both muleys and elk from what I am use to. Initially I was paying more attention to the western half of the unit in itself before realizing that I needed to refocus and switch my attention towards the eastern half of the unit itself. I believe for just the e scouting portion being what we are relying on to make our determinations regarding locations to hunt without being able to get any boots on the ground in advance. I'd say I am satisfied with at least what we have so far as far as primaries and alternates to give it a go at.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom