Hey Hardcore?

hunting1

I see that you did a write up on the Lowa Ranger GTX and have not recieved much feedback from others, so that is why I am a calln on you.

How do they compare with the Danner Talus/Combat Hiker? Are they that much better? Quite, the Danners are rock boots, so not real good for stalking.

I am looking for a supportive, early bow hunt boot for 30-40 lb loads. What say you?

Thanks,

Is it September yet?

hunting1- I know Hardcore is coming back from a Pacific Northwest trip. You might give more of a description of the loads being carried and the terrain/area being hunted. This will help narrow your choices. CDN

The Danner Talus and Combat Hiker are almost identical so they can be addressed at the same time. I have to say that I was a little disappointed. Maybe it is because I have been exposed to such great boots over the past year and a half. The soles and uppers are pretty good but the fit is so so and the tongue is terrible. It doesn't adaquately cover the top of the foot and it makes them relatively difficult to lace properly.

If I was going to go with something that light or even a touch lighter for bow hunting I would go with the Lowa Renegade or Uplander, both have an incredibly supple, quiet outsole that is perfect for snooping, pooping and sneeking around in the boonies or even in a hallway for that matter.

You might also try the lightweight Merrell boots like the Moab. I can also tell you that some of the top bow hunters actually use trail running shoes like the Brooks Cascadia, Salomon XTs or Montrail Sabino Trails because they are super flexible, pliable and quiet. Not my choice personally but they seem to make it work.

The Lowa Ranger is a very fine boot, which is why I said it was the best all-around boot on the market, as is the Hanwag Mountain Light but it is too stiff for what you are wanting in my opinion. The Ranger, like virtually all boots in its class, is more structured and clunky meaning it actually makes a clunk when you knock it on rocks which is not good for up close and personal bow work. The Danners mentioned above suffer the same problem.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

"early bow hunt boot for 30-40 lb loads. " Thanks CDN.

I actually really like the Danner's, but they are way to clinky as you stated for bow hunting. I will keep them for scouting, backpacking and general hiking.

I will go and try them at REI, but from what you are saying they may be a bit too stiff for what I am looking for. I love Danner Pronghorns and the Cabelas stalkers, but they both suffer from leaking and not durable. So the search continues!

Thanks,
Larry

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom