Hey Unit2addict...

warpheagle

Or anyone else that hunts unit 2... I saw your post on another thread and I did not want to hijack the thread about a different topic, but I would be interested to get your take on elk hunting in unit 2. I have a ML tag for this season and I am looking forward to my first elk hunt. Just curious as to what I might expect to see, both quality wise and quantity wise, and chances of bulls still bugling during the ML season which begins Oct 8th. Thank you for any info.

#2 Archery bull in the state came out of Unit 2. They'll be bugling. You've got a good tag.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Hi there warpeagle.
I'll be more then happy to help you with some info...and opinions.
1. You drew the best tag for Unit 2 elk. The elk are usually still in the rut pretty good during the ML hunt. They are pretty call wise/shy sometimes as they hear alot of people running around calling to them (tons of roads in this unit, and people love to call from there truck). Your chances are pretty good if you do a lil research. Stay away from bugling if you can. It works every once in awhile, but usually they shut up and go the other way.

2. As for the quality of the bulls in this unit. The average "nice" bull that I would say taken here is 250-270. There are some really good bulls here and every year a few 300+ are taken or spotted.In the past 8 or so years there have been 2 400" bulls taken in this unit. The elk numbers here are'nt real great but they are out there. I talked to a biologist last year that said our herd was around 600 head. I don't know this to be that accurate. I can't say either way.

Well congrats on drawing the tag. I personnaly have never got to draw a ML tag here or anywhere else. If there is anything else I can help you with let me know. I drew the 1st archery tag for unit 2 and will share any scouting info I have for you after I get done with my hunt. Shoot me an email and I will give you the info.

Hey warpeagle I just re-read my post and I screwed up on that herd estimate, I meant to type 2600 not 600.

My dad drew this same hunt and we are EXCITED! This is a jam up hunt, and cannot wait to get there.The elk are scattered all over the unit, more of them up north of 64 along the Jic border, but there seems to draw more hunters up there too. 250 is a good bull there but as mentioned can get them alot bigger, but they didn't get big being seen during the hunts...Best of luck...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom