High Country Over Rated!

S

STITZEL

Hunt High OR Low? Almost everyone says to hunt the highest mountains you can and thats where you will find the biggest buck. I beg to differ. I have hunted a little of both ,not yet got into the packing in part of the hunt yet. But I have actually seen more than I care to count BC bucks in the grass flats and Rolling hills. Hunting the flats is actually more of a challenge as well, you are out in the open and have to make a much hard sneek..... what do you think?
4a47269a20536af5.jpg

That's a good question, Stitzel...I would suspect it may have something to do with local habitat. Perhaps there is more to feed in the low country than there is in the high country or, maybe in a particular are they simply prefer the lowlands.

One of the best Mule deer units in Idaho averages about 7,000 feet or so and they kill some monsters up there every year.

I tend to hunt mid-level elevations because, like you, I'm not convinced I need to hike to 10,000 feet to find a decent muley.

www.raghornhuntingservices.com
[email protected]

I think many times they are driven out of the higher country, much of the Nevada high country is roaded up and fairly open, Most of the great basin ranges are relatively small anyway, and they are much smaller at the top so a little pressure seems to go a long way.

Yes there are plenty of giant deer in the Lowlands. I personally love the high mountains for several reasons. I grew up in Florida and hunted low flat ground for 30 years and I always dreamed of hunting mountains. I have now been a Nevada resident for 15 years and I'm living the dream. I love the high alpine meadows and lush green vegetation, cool temperatures and the lure of danger that comes with bivvy hunting in the peaks. I cannot deny that most monster bucks that I've seen that other people have killed come from the long remote desert flats that seem to hold no life other than sage brush but in reality is so vast that hunters sometimes never see these desert monster bucks thus giving them time to mature. Long desert flats bordered by foothills and rivers and ranches are especially a great recipe for monster bucks. So I'd have to agree with you that maybe the high mountains are over rated. But give me a choice between high beautiful mountains or a dry desert and I'll choose the mountains. fatrooster.

Ya I know what your sayn Fatrooster... and when my kids are a little older and i have the time and MONEY to go pack in I will be up high with you. It has always been something I have wanted to do as well.... i don't know what it would be like to hunt where it is green after hunting the sage and dry grass for my entire life. It would be nice to just do something diff. Thanks for the responses guys...
4a48701a23e61502.jpg

You should post this thread in the Mule Deer section and see what kind of feedback you get from everyone else.

I think this is a great thread.

Gotta say that i will always enjoy the lowlands but I am going high for the first time this year so it will be interesting. As said before great thread.

"Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

In theory the high country has more nutrients in the feed. But age is as important or more so and the lowlands get overlooked.

My Dad always says, "They are where you find them."

I have shot more deer in the low lands sage it is easier to walk from knoll to knoll and look over the edge. The high country looks nice but is usally harder walking, and trees always seem to get in the way.

I like the low lands. The biggest buck I have hunted in a while was a nice 4x4 on the south fork archery I MISSED!

".... I have hunted a little of both ,not yet got into the packing in part of the hunt."

In terms of what class/amount of deer you see in the backcountry v. flats. The quote above is what jumped out at me.

If your in the high country, on a quad or using a vehicle - most likely the deer know your there and that is why you are not seeing what you expect.

I say this because, when I use a quad I see less even when I am in BFE because they hear me coming. When I backpack in, I have actually spooked more deer than I see when using my quad, on accident because they didn't know I was comming around the corner and I didn't know they were there either. :)

For example, last year (muzzy season) I hiked into the back country for a week. I was glassing at some nice bucks across the way. Then, two guys came up the mountain on their quads. I watched the bucks slowly move into a hidding spot before the guys got to the spot where the bucks were.

The bucks were within 60 yards of these guys. The guys stopped, looked around, didn't see any deer and got back on their quads and drove off. After they left, the bucks kept feeding and then slowly moved out.

Just my 2 cents.

Happy hunting everyone.

I'm not sure how you can say that the "High Country Over Rated!". that just makes no since at all. How much time have you spent up there?

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

ELKOHUNTER think what you want everyone hunts diff. and like to hunt where they see the best quillity animals and thats what it is all about.
4a542d2e6c8d7fc3.jpg

a lot of people drive trucks and atvs up to the highest mountain that they can get and miss a lot of muleys that arent seen. i have done it. where there is the most pressure the deer get pushed out. thats where your going to find the big ones, is where the pressure isnt even if it is high or low country

blackcloud_nv

I think a lot of depends on the country you are in but I personally like the low country and low canyons. I have seen a lot of mature bucks get pushed off the top early and they like to go hunker down in the low canyons and away from the roads. Two years ago we had the late rifle season tag but got there during the early season to scout. We watched 2 very nice bucks in one small low canyon for several days. The canyon was off of the top of the mountain by 3 miles. As we watched these bucks over the course of 2 days, they didn't move more than 300 yards in this canyon. We also watched at least 10 vehicles and atv's during those days cruise up the road on the way to the top. Not once did they ever stop or get out to spot the low country. We ended up not taking the bucks as we got a little bit pickier but it paid off.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-09 AT 07:56PM (MST)[p]For what it's worth, my cousin spent several years working for the railroad hauling freight between Reno and Elko. He said you wouldn't believe the big bucks he's seen along the tracks.

Edit: I should specify living along the tracks year round.

Eel

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom