high or low?

outdoorsdude

So, yesterday I feed the monster and instead of looking at new bows on the net, I went down and tried some. Yes, I am officially in the market for the first time in 18 years.
Now before I am inundated with well meaning 'I shoot xyz, you should too'; the list is very short- because my draw length isn't: 31/32 in.

And that brings me to WHY I'm posting. The shop owner kept remarking that when I hold with a 'high wrist' I'm adding 1-1.5in. in my draw and i would be better served with a 'low wrist' hold.

So, do you shoot high or low wrist? And more importantly: WHY?

I didn't know there was a difference??? I hold what is comfortable for me and my draw length has stayed consistent at 29" for 10 years. I would say use the most comfortable grip and generate your draw length from there.

}}-SLIVER-->

I agree with SLIVER. Do you shoot consistently with your current grip? If you do then don't change a stinking thing and tell the shop owner to fit you to that. Besides an extra inch or so in draw lenght will generate you a little more speed and KE. I hate the fact I can only shoot a 27 1/2" draw, so I am not getting anywhere close to the potential out of my bow. I end up having to shoot higher poundage to get close to what my bow should be able to do.
WVBOWAK

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-12 AT 12:44PM (MST)[p]I shoot low wrist. Much more solid for for me. Low wrist locks the bones in your hand together with the bones up your arm, resulting in a more stable, consistent and torque free paltform. Most archery coaches, books, and people who know form will tell you low wrist too. That said, a guy I sometimes hunt and shoot with shoots high wrist and punches the heck out of the trigger. He's a bit old school and just learned that way many years ago. He kills far more stuff than I do and misses a lot less. It obviously works for him. To each their own I guess.

High wrist. I found when I took up archery a thousand years ago that it made for consistent shooting for me. Go with the advise above. Get a bow that fits you, don't try to fit the bow.

Low wrist, more consistent, repeatable and stable for me. As stated before it doesn't matter as long as you're comfortable and consistent every time. I shoot 31" so the extra speed and ke is there no matter what!

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-12
>AT 12:44?PM (MST)

>
>I shoot low wrist. Much
>more solid for for me.
> Low wrist locks the
>bones in your hand together
>with the bones up your
>arm, resulting in a more
>stable, consistent and torque free
>paltform. Most archery coaches,
>books, and people who know
>form will tell you low
>wrist too. That said,
>a guy I sometimes hunt
>and shoot with shoots high
>wrist and punches the heck
>out of the trigger.
>He's a bit old school
>and just learned that way
>many years ago. He
>kills far more stuff than
>I do and misses a
>lot less. It obviously
>works for him. To
>each their own I guess.
>

I agree completely. This promotes better skeletal alignment which makes for a more consistent foundation. This will help you to aim better and avoid a lot of nasty habits.

Another vote for low wrist. I used to shoot high wrist and struggled with being consistant every time with my grip and follow though. Once I switched to low wrist (and lost 1.5 inches of my draw) I was much more consistant and accurate.

Mark

I would also vote for the low wrist. One of the main reasons is bows are now made to be shot low wrist. When archers were shooting high wrist look at the grips, big under the palm to support it and todays bows no longer have that. I would find you new draw length and go with it. it will take a bit to get used to but it will be worth it.

To get your DL measure your wingspan from finger tip to finger tip and divide it by 2.5. this will get you very close and I tell people to error on the short side so if your number comes out to 29 3/4 go to 29 1/2.

And most importantly have some fun. New bows today are much more pleasurable to shoot than bows of even 5 years ago.

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

I dont know the difference between the 2, could someone explain please. LOL

Jake H. SHED OR DEAD IT DONT MATTER TO ME!!!
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-12 AT 02:34AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-12 AT 02:30?AM (MST)

Jake im not sure how to explain this but here goes. Just take a look at an olympic bow and you will see the grip is made different then a compound bow. The olympic bows will force your hand into the crease of your thumb and your index finger. Where a compound is made to rest on a relaxed thumb pad with the pressure of the bow pushing on the styloid process or low wrist.

If you aim a compound bow the same way you aim an olympic bow it wont hold the same or your pin wont settle down. I think it has something to do with holding weight and bow mass weight or something. I just know using a high wrist sucks for compound bows!

Jake make a tee with your body with your hands parallel to the ground and index finger and thumb point at a target. This is high wrist.

Now make a tee with your body and now turn your hand like you are trying to do a push up or stop sign. This is low wrist

hope this makes sense.

Ok I got it, im a low wrist shooter.

Thanks, just had never herd of one or the other before now.

Jake H. SHED OR DEAD IT DONT MATTER TO ME!!!
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom