Historic low Greys River game check station observed

right...that is not far off. In the past 5-6 years, the non-res tags in G have been reduced by nearly 80%. Yet region G is as crowded as ever.

It is going to be a long road to recovery in region G with the population explosion in the Star Valley and Jackson Hole area combined with unlimited res tags.

Anybody Know This Guy?

image000000.jpg

Last edited:
right...that is not far off. In the past 5-6 years, the non-res tags in G have been reduced by nearly 80%. Yet region G is as crowded as ever.

It is going to be a long road to recovery in region G with the population explosion in the Star Valley and Jackson Hole area combined with unlimited res tags.
Riiiiight. All those people moving to Jackson hole and star valley seem like the hunting type.?

Sorry not buying what you are trying to sell. I will fact check your 80% comment when I have time. Likely wrong too.

I say another reduction of 50% in NR tags then we put another restriction that all NR must have a licensed guide to be more than 1/2 mile from any road. That will allow the guides to ensure the NR only shoot mature bucks or at least
Keep them from having a small
Mental breakdown while texting/surfing the net in their tent in the rain…

After all the NR all seem so worried about G, maybe we go ahead and add on the the 1/2 mile rule and limit all NR to shooting only little bucks and none of the big bucks? Say like a spike only season. Those Flat Brim crybabies like the spike only season in thier home state…

WG&F needs to cut NR tags again reduce the season to September 15 to 23 and that includes area 135 and hope for sum mild winters.... But that will never happen because the outfitters who say they care so much about this historic deer heard will cry like babies because the will go bankrupt...

Listen up NR.

When you guys whine and cry about tag cuts and 90/10 lot of us residents read and really pushes us to encourage more of those cuts. What I am saying the same ol whine and cry gets old.

I have nothing against NR. Met a few and talked with a few here and even hunted with one MM memeber and all are great guys. I myself am a non resident in a couple other states I hunt. Lot of things I don't like but it is what it is cause the residents come first.

I hardly see wyo guys on utah montana, and other state forums crying like some do here on wyo forum. But thanks to the crying my mind is made up along with others that hell ya cut NR tags should get cut first. At least for areas I hunt.

As far as area G I have zero input. This resident has never hunted it, so whether tags need to be cut or seasons or whatever my input will still be zero cause I don't have a clue about an area I have never been.

Good luck to all this season. Just got home from a 2 day muley hunt with my son. Saw way to many does and fawns and nothing for bucks. Good site to see to all them does and fawns.

don't bother, made up 5 seconds before he posted it

There were 400 tags in 2017, 350 today.
What were the tag numbers in 2016? How about 2011? I 100% support residents getting first consideration. But if you think cutting anymore non resident tags in G is going to help the herd, when there are nearly 10 times as many residents hunting there, you would be wrong. If you think cutting more non resident tags is going to give all the residents more space on the mountain in G, you would also be wrong. I hope they cut nonresident tags to 0 in G. Then in 3 years, when all the same residents are on here bitching about the low deer numbers , and over crowding from hunters, I can reference this thread. If you have not watched the movie “Idiocracy”, I would encourage you to do so. We are almost there.

What were the tag numbers in 2016? How about 2011? I 100% support residents getting first consideration. But if you think cutting anymore non resident tags in G is going to help the herd, when there are nearly 10 times as many residents hunting there, you would be wrong. If you think cutting more non resident tags is going to give all the residents more space on the mountain in G, you would also be wrong. I hope they cut nonresident tags to 0 in G. Then in 3 years, when all the same residents are on here bitching about the low deer numbers , and over crowding from hunters, I can reference this thread. If you have not watched the movie “Idiocracy”, I would encourage you to do so. We are almost there.
You do know 99.9999999999999% of the bitching you see online about G and H is from filthy cry baby non residents? And it’s literally almost completely on here? Seriously. Go look at the other hunting forums.

The only problem is a perceived problem by a few cry babies on here that will do NOTHING to fix their little problem. Sadly there’s about 100 of us who have to read it every year.

Keep crying. No one cares! Intro to every region G post:

Thanks! He would have to go back another year to where the tags were 600 but his math is still wrong!
in 2011 there were 800 tags in G and 1200 tags in H. Tag numbers for non resident have been greatly reduced in the last 12 years. Has it helped? Like I said before, I’m all in favor of residents getting priority in every state. But people in Wyoming acting like the 10% hunter population of non residents is the issue is laughable. And disingenuous to the point of ignorance. If we’re talking about people just not liking non residents then I get it. But if we’re talking about deer numbers and hunting pressure, residents better look at the resident regs first. That is the case in most states in the west.

Wow, less bucks killed in G. Who would have guessed that was going to happen coming off the worst winter since 82/83?

Yet, agenda driven hunters will use this predetermined outcome to suggest LQ. Why? I think he gives you the answer in his next post. G is more crowded than ever. He wants to see less hunters in his neck of the woods. This is a social and selfish response to a biological issue. More fawns, predator control, mild winters, disease control, and less animal/vehicle collisions produce mule deer, not making an area LQ.

But continue talking about limiting NR and R. That will be fun when we are all sitting at home watching football instead of hunting.

in 2011 there were 800 tags in G and 1200 tags in H. Tag numbers for non resident have been greatly reduced in the last 12 years. Has it helped? Like I said before, I’m all in favor of residents getting priority in every state. But people in Wyoming acting like the 10% hunter population of non residents is the issue is laughable. And disingenuous to the point of ignorance. If we’re talking about people just not liking non residents then I get it. But if we’re talking about deer numbers and hunting pressure, residents better look at the resident regs first. That is the case in most states in the west.
With the winter Wyoming had it doesn’t matter tag allocation.

Where are you going in WY to hear residents complaining about non residents? Where? Do you believe it’s more than any other state complaining about NR? Take a moment and really think about it. It’s another perceived problem generated by what YOU click on. When I have discussions around wyoming hunting with Wyoming residents it’s rare for NR to come up. Maybe you need to change your circle. Misery loves company maybe?

Can we have a respectful conversation where you admit it’s mostly jealousy that steers the NR to complain about resident allocations? Let’s start with some honestly and respect.

Of course tag cuts helped the herd. The hunting has been pretty damn amazing the last few years until the winter came and wiped out all the progress that was made. It will be back. If it takes a year or two longer due to residents not having a cap I’m fine with that.

Wow, less bucks killed in G. Who would have guessed that was going to happen coming off the worst winter since 82/83?

Yet, agenda driven hunters will use this predetermined outcome to suggest LQ. Why? I think he gives you the answer in his next post. G is more crowded than ever. He wants to see less hunters in his neck of the woods. This is a social and selfish response to a biological issue. More fawns, predator control, mild winters, disease control, and less animal/vehicle collisions produce mule deer, not making an area LQ.

But continue talking about limiting NR and R. That will be fun when we are all sitting at home watching football instead of hunting.
Agree 100%. Except the football part.

I'm a NR hunter in Wyoming. Have hunted there since the early 90's, but missed quite a few years after 2005 or so. I can fill out a survey sent to me, or any other communication that would like my input from the G&F and provide my input, but my say is minimal in a state I don't live and pay taxes in. The G&F department will typically do their research and then apply what they believe should be utilized in their state.

In my home state, residents provide input but the Wildlife Division does what they want in regards to license allocations and management. They don't do nearly the research and homework to figure out populations that Wyoming does. They use harvest data as a major tool.

My philosophy is I buy what Licenses and tags I can get, try and find a good area to hunt and go enjoy myself. If one state starts to struggle, there are other places to hunt, and I don't have many more years to worry about that anyway.

Hunters just need to do their homework, figure out where they can possibly hunt and go enjoy. Life is too short to be bitching between hunters. Get some damn good Bourbon and everyone should get together and enjoy it after a good hunt!!!

With the winter Wyoming had it doesn’t matter tag allocation.

Where are you going in WY to hear residents complaining about non residents? Where? Do you believe it’s more than any other state complaining about NR? Take a moment and really think about it. It’s another perceived problem generated by what YOU click on. When I have discussions around wyoming hunting with Wyoming residents it’s rare for NR to come up. Maybe you need to change your circle. Misery loves company maybe?

Can we have a respectful conversation where you admit it’s mostly jealousy that steers the NR to complain about resident allocations? Let’s start with some honestly and respect.

Of course tag cuts helped the herd. The hunting has been pretty damn amazing the last few years until the winter came and wiped out all the progress that was made. It will be back. If it takes a year or two longer due to residents not having a cap I’m fine with that.
I’ve had great experiences every time I’ve been to Wyoming. Great people. Everyone of them were be on good to me. Not sure if you have read the quotes on this thread, including mine. The majority of the responses on this thread are residents saying cut tags. I am responding to them, on a thread, on a website, on the internet. I am not responding to the entire state of Wyoming. Not sure what your hang up is about jealousy, but I can assure you, that does not pertain to me. I am responding to the logic that cutting non resident tags makes a positive impact on herd numbers or hunting pressure. I stated multiple times in this thread that I defend preference to residents. And if you think those tag cuts had any meaningful impact on deer herds, I would spend a little time looking at harvested deer in regions G and H over the last ten years since non resident tag cuts started. Along with estimated resident hunters in those units year by year. And if those numbers don’t mean anything to you, maybe listen to Gary Fralicks opinion on the impact of those tag cuts, and the reasoning for those cuts. Or maybe Gary is just jealous as well.

The influx of people moving in to SV and JH are not there to hunt. Most of them find the idea abhorrent. And that’s not opinion.

Has it helped? Well it sure did not hurt anything… At least anything important…

So what you are saying is we should try cutting the NR tags further. See if it works. Then if needed we could cut the NR season in half as well.

I’ve had great experiences every time I’ve been to Wyoming. Great people. Everyone of them were be on good to me. Not sure if you have read the quotes on this thread, including mine. The majority of the responses on this thread are residents saying cut tags. I am responding to them, on a thread, on a website, on the internet. I am not responding to the entire state of Wyoming. Not sure what your hang up is about jealousy, but I can assure you, that does not pertain to me. I am responding to the logic that cutting non resident tags makes a positive impact on herd numbers or hunting pressure. I stated multiple times in this thread that I defend preference to residents. And if you think those tag cuts had any meaningful impact on deer herds, I would spend a little time looking at harvested deer in regions G and H over the last ten years since non resident tag cuts started. Along with estimated resident hunters in those units year by year. And if those numbers don’t mean anything to you, maybe listen to Gary Fralicks opinion on the impact of those tag cuts, and the reasoning for those cuts. Or maybe Gary is just jealous as well.
Like already stated, until you start being honest there’s no point in a conversation. You’re talking out your ass and thats ok. You’re all over the board and that’s because you’re not being honest.

When you want to have a real discussion come clean on your intentions or desires first and don’t be blind to the fact they sway what you believe is right or wrong.

Like already stated, until you start being honest there’s no point in a conversation. You’re talking out your ass and thats ok. You’re all over the board and that’s because you’re not being honest.

When you want to have a real discussion come clean on your intentions or desires first and don’t be blind to the fact they sway what you believe is right or wrong.
It is funny how none of them will say their true motivations. We can be honest. We want to hunt deer and we like hunting our general tags every year. We want to protect resident opportunity at all cost including using deep cuts to NR opportunity. We all know WY can recover the herd in G with limited NR hunting and without completely sacrificing resident opportunity…

Has it helped? Well it sure did not hurt anything… At least anything important…

So what you are saying is we should try cutting the NR tags further. See if it works. Then if needed we could cut the NR season in half as well.
Sounds like we agree. I’m fine with cutting them all. If that helps the herd and hunting pressure that a few of the guys on this forum have complained about. I support residents opportunity always. My push back was based on biology and reality. You could take the 350 non resident tags away from G and keep the open unit hunting for resident general deer. If that happens, as I said before, the lack of non residents will not have an effect on the herd numbers or the hunting pressure. The only exception would be the pressure that guides put in the high country. That might reduce some of the hunting pressure in the high country.

I’m glad we have a super honest guy like you to keep us all straight.

Sounds like we agree. I’m fine with cutting them all. If that helps the herd and hunting pressure that a few of the guys on this forum have complained about. I support residents opportunity always. My push back was based on biology and reality. You could take the 350 non resident tags away from G and keep the open unit hunting for resident general deer. If that happens, as I said before, the lack of non residents will not have an effect on the herd numbers or the hunting pressure. The only exception would be the pressure that guides put in the high country. That might reduce some of the hunting pressure in the high country.
So does buck hunting really put pressure on the herds? It is funny, as most of the time hunting bucks is not the issue as long as the buck to die ratio is up. Cutting buck harvest is really only necessary when we see lower buck to doe ratios… so where does that leave us?

Not sure but it seems funny that all this hype about g yet other regions were just as hard and no one is upset about those areas…

It is funny how none of them will say their true motivations. We can be honest. We want to hunt deer and we like hunting our general tags every year. We want to protect resident opportunity at all cost including using deep cuts to NR opportunity. We all know WY can recover the herd in G with limited NR hunting and without completely sacrificing resident opportunity…
Haha. I am a resident of WY now so that is where my vote counts, that is where my taxes count, that is where my money and my time is.

I am flattered that you value my opinion so much you took the time to look up old post from over 4 years ago…

But in Colorado I was typically all about resident opportunity taking priority over NR. I would have loved to see colorado go 90/10 for all draw tags, as a NR even today I think Colorado should be liberal with resident opportunity, but extremely restrictive for NR. Just as I believe WY should do today.

Regardless I am a resident of WY, but nice to know you had the time to go back 4 years. Oh and the best reason to move to WY was the resident hunting opportunity. Why would I not want to protect and expand that?

elks96, if you weren’t a recent Colorado transplant your words might have some credit. I guess you’ve changed your Colorado plates by now

View attachment 123673
Haha. I am a resident of WY now so that is where my vote counts, that is where my taxes count, that is where my money and my time is.

I am flattered that you value my opinion so much you took the time to look up old post from over 4 years ago…

But in Colorado I was typically all about resident opportunity taking priority over NR. I was one of many who were very vocal about forcing the top units to 80/20. I would have loved to see colorado go 90/10 for all draw tags, as a NR even today I think Colorado should be liberal with resident opportunity, but extremely restrictive for NR. Hell in CO I still argue to keep the OTC elk for residents and to force all NR into a drawing or at least OTC with caps…

Regardless I am a resident of WY, but nice to know you had the time to go back 4 years. Oh and the best reason to move to WY was the resident hunting opportunity. Why would I not want to protect and expand that?

But in Colorado I was typically all about resident opportunity taking priority over NR. I was one of many who were very vocal about forcing the top units to 80/20. I would have loved to see colorado go 90/10 for all draw tags, as a NR even today I think Colorado should be liberal with resident opportunity, but extremely restrictive for NR. Hell in CO I still argue to keep the OTC elk for residents and to force all NR into a drawing or at least OTC with caps…

Now that elks96 is in the boat, time to pull up the ladder!

There are 2 reasons for LQ 1- Quality Hunt- Less Hunters, more big Bucks. 2- Herd protection- More Hunters than Deer. Everyone should agree with that, right. We are way past number 1. How could you put opportunity over saving what use to be one of the most awesome Mule Deer Herds. (maybe prolong the inevitable) Got to start making changes if there is any hope. Choose your weapon, Choose an area or Region. At this point there is no reason for 135 not to open on 9-15. Maybe move the boundary of 145 to greys river road and close it for at least 1 year. I disagree with Chester about most new people not hunting. I think all my new neighbors came here to Hunt. And there are a bunch.... Hunting every other year wouldn't be terrible odd and even Birthday years. Southpaw is right, until the herd numbers get below a reasonable recovery number. I would say the Wyoming range Deer herd needs hunter help. And an emergency winter feeding program.

I think WY should absolutely put a quota in place. It's pretty slow in the forums in the Wyoming side. With a quota you all can ***** about point spreads, point creep, odds, etc. And, with a draw, the entire state can put in, pushing point creep. Then, all the dudes who don't draw, can just migrate to other areas, increasing pressure there. Then that area can demand a quota.

After a few years, because a tiny percentage of WY res who combine inability to do math, with the ability to cry loud, the entire state can go quota/draw.

It won't grow the herds, only does do that, but it will make that minority of loud, biologically incompetent, math strugglers sure feel good that they accomplished something.

Until:

WYOMING G&F

Unit G

Unsuccessful

When those letters start hitting that group, then the real squealing will start

I would not be surprised if wyoming now has the worst public land deer hunting over all as a state compared to Utah, South dakota, Nebraska, Idaho, Montana etc

On a side note, wish me luck as i attempt to turn back the clock a few years and put my camp on my back this weekend. Weather rolling in, my main focus will be finding one of the rare tent bars. Im really liking this idea. The oldtimers were not stupid.

I say another reduction of 50% in NR tags then we put another restriction that all NR must have a licensed guide to be more than 1/2 mile from any road. That will allow the guides to ensure the NR only shoot mature bucks or at least

After all the NR all seem so worried about G, maybe we go ahead and add on the the 1/2 mile rule and limit all NR to shooting only little bucks and none of the big bucks? Say like a spike only season. Those Flat Brim crybabies like the spike only season in thier home state…
? ????

I would hope it's not just NR worried about the deer in G/H, maybe that's the issue. Someone has to care right?

It's about preserving a historical mule deer range with some of the best genetics in the world, the most beautiful landscapes you can imagine, and untamed raw rugged country that most hunters dream of hunting all their lives. I pay $100s every year just taking a drive up to the winter range to "Look" at the deer from that range.
We need to come together (R and NR alike) and start caring about the deer instead of whining about who should get the tags.
Take away all the NR tags if that's what will cure the deer herd, but any level headed guy knows that's not going to solve the issue. Especially when we know there is No limit on resident hunting, No harvest reporting, and No controls in place to monitor trends in resident hunting.

I might be a cry baby, but I don't wear a Flat Brim hat ;)

Last edited:

I guess you wouldn’t know the first thing about laying in a tent at 10 pm on a backpack hunt when all you do is road hunt!

Take away all nonresident tags so the residents can continue to pillage it and have no one else to blame. It’s like all of the looting and rioting that has been happening in democrat run cities. It’s hard to tell those people they are ruining their own neighborhoods and only hurting themselves. Some Wyoming resident hunters seem to have the same mentality.

Take away all nonresident tags so the residents can continue to pillage it and have no one else to blame. It’s like all of the looting and rioting that has been happening in democrat run cities. It’s hard to tell those people they are ruining their own neighborhoods and only hurting themselves. Some Wyoming resident hunters seem to have the same mentality.
This ☝?☝?☝?

if you’re so jealous why don’t you just move there? You don’t care about the deer or the herd there, you only care about getting your piece of the pie.

Last I checked residents can’t control the weather. Look at the bad years, all after hard winters. Tag allocation don’t mean chit when you have massive winter kill.

You should go hold hands with cry boot and stick to hunting Utah or whatever state you chose to live and be miserable in.

Yeah every resident of every western state could take what you’re saying not just Wyoming residents. In fact I’d guess you could account such to the increase of residence to the Rocky Mountain western states. You can’t fault anyone for putting meat in the freezer if regulations allows it. That’s great if you’re hunting for score and sport but most as the statistics show are hunting for a kill and to get back to their lives. Not everyone can take the time to glass up a stud of toad with thick mass and put a stalk on him at 699 yards, dial that dope sheet to dirt nap that sucka for the OIL opportunity

if you’re so jealous why don’t you just move there? You don’t care about the deer or the herd there, you only care about getting your piece of the pie.

Last I checked residents can’t control the weather. Look at the bad years, all after hard winters. Tag allocation don’t mean chit when you have massive winter kill.

You should go hold hands with cry boot and stick to hunting Utah or whatever state you chose to live and be miserable in.
I live rent free in your head. ?

I live rent free in your head. ?
No it’s memory retention. When you see a whiney ***** like yourself easy to remember. It’s obvious you have no such thing since you can’t provide ONE post where a resident said NR have caused the decline of mule deer. But it does make me laugh how butthurt you are about something YOU made up inside your head
?????

I’m not jealous at all. I’m serious. Wyoming should cut off all nonresident hunters. They already suck way more than their fair share of the federal budget. Wyoming contributes nothing compared to what they take as a state. Maybe the feds could prop up Wyoming game and fish like they already do with the rest of the state’s budget. Who cares about hunting the pathetic remnants of Wyomings deer herd. The other 49 states already fund the entire state with nothing in return why not extend that to hunting as well?

I’m not jealous at all. I’m serious. Wyoming should cut off all nonresident hunters. They already suck way more than their fair share of the federal budget. Wyoming contributes nothing compared to what they take as a state. Maybe the feds could prop up Wyoming game and fish like they already do with the rest of the state’s budget. Who cares about hunting the pathetic remnants of Wyomings deer herd. The other 49 states already fund the entire state with nothing in return why not extend that to hunting as well?
Why don’t you tell Us how you really feel.

What chitbox state do you live in?

Wait… so winter kill is the leading cause of any 3 year old buck with great genetics not surviving. You better tell your big spoon @elks96 it’s not NR killing them all just to fill a tag.
I’m not sure if it is but I’m not going to cry about it. What do you mean by “great” genetics? I’m still focused on your original lies and stories. I’m not sure if you’re trying to manifest more lies and misinformation.

What chitbox state do you live in?
I live in a state that doesn’t rely on fed handouts. You Wyoming boys should figure out how to earn some money so your state isn’t the most freeloading socialist state in the country. I do feel bad because you guys probably actually do need the deer meat. I fully support banning nonresident hunters in Wyoming. Most nonresidents go to Wyoming to hunt for fun. Wyoming residents need the meat because they can’t even afford to pay for their own infrastructure or school systems.

I live in a state that doesn’t rely on fed handouts. You Wyoming boys should figure out how to earn some money so your state isn’t the most freeloading socialist state in the country. I do feel bad because you guys probably actually do need the deer meat. I fully support banning nonresident hunters in Wyoming. Most nonresidents go to Wyoming to hunt for fun. Wyoming residents need the meat because they can’t even afford to pay for their own infrastructure or school systems.
Hahahhaa it took 5 mins to find out where you live. Try again. Also no one cares. I don’t live in WY, I live in a state even worse than many of the western states for Govt funds. But you’re just as much on the govt tit and the next guy.

Hahahahahhaa

You should be proud doing the govt a favor they are good people congrats...

I’m not sure if it is but I’m not going to cry about it. What do you mean by “great” genetics? I’m still focused on your original lies and stories. I’m not sure if you’re trying to manifest more lies and misinformation.
You’ve been here since 1999. If you were involved in the conversations you would know. Sadly you feel the need to insert yourself into everything even when you don’t have a clue WTF is going on.

You’ve been here since 1999. If you were involved in the conversations you would know. Sadly you feel the need to insert yourself into everything even when you don’t have a clue WTF is going on.
There you go making assumptions again. You don’t know me, my experience, etc but now you’re saying I don’t know what’s going on? You’re the one making false accusations which I’ve asked you to back up and you can’t even provide one example.

It’s obvious I’ve hurt your feelings. I apologize for that, it wasn’t my intention. Even though I feel like you deserve zero respect by slandering my friends and family that still live in WY I’ll show you some respect for your fragile personality. I will let you keep posting lies and misinformation and I will not comment on it. I just hope you get the help you sincerely need. I’m sorry. I really am. I wish I could be as closed minded as you but unfortunately I’ve lived through the ups and downs of the mule deer in Western WY. You’re wrong and a liar and it’s not my responsibility to try to fix that for you. Im sorry for trying to get you to open your closed mind a little bit.

I hope you can accept my apology.

Wait… so winter kill is the leading cause of any 3 year old buck with great genetics not surviving. You better tell your big spoon @elks96 it’s not NR killing them all just to fill a tag.
Umm the data shows that older mature bucks have the hardest time surviving the winter. Simply put they leave the rut in bad shape, they tend to me solitary making them easier picking for predators, they are more likely to get stuck in a spot and not get out as they cant follow a herd. The list can go on. Just because they are the oldest bucks does not mean they have the greatest genetics either. After all 1/2 the genetics come from the doe, and honestly a 2 year old buck breeding a doe, has the same genes when he is 4, 5, 6, etc.

HAHA. Again after a hard winter kill we should do all we can to maintain resident opportunity and the first and the deepest cuts should always be to NR side...

Afraid to say what state you live in?

OOOPPPSSS!!! Look like his entire claim just went up in smoke. Oh I would also encourage people to look into what the state actually gets vs what is spent on the reservation. I think in many cases the money is all lumped together...

Can we all agree that there will be a point in the future where G and H will have to go limited for residents?

If we can all agree on that then we can just end this whole back and forth. It might be 5 years, it might be 10 or it might be 20, but it will come at some point in time, likely in our lifetimes.

Can we all agree that there will be a point in the future where G and H will have to go limited for residents?

If we can all agree on that then we can just end this whole back and forth. It might be 5 years, it might be 10 or it might be 20, but it will come at some point in time, likely in our lifetimes.
No, but why would you want everyone to agree on that? Would it make you feel better?

There would have to be something more than just one bad winter to make G&H limited. Though I am sure western WY residents will be out in force trying to make it happen. They will regret it if they make it happen.

Killing bucks has little to do with overall deer numbers. Fralick states that in the referenced article. "Hunters, too, are trying to help, by giving up their tags, though that’s also unlikely to have any effect on the deer population come future falls."

There would have to be something more than just one bad winter to make G&H limited. Though I am sure western WY residents will be out in force trying to make it happen. They will regret it if they make it happen.

Killing bucks has little to do with overall deer numbers. Fralick states that in the referenced article. "Hunters, too, are trying to help, by giving up their tags, though that’s also unlikely to have any effect on the deer population come future falls."
With technology these days I believe you could go to a quota type system like a lot of other states. I believe WY does that with bears already (correct me if I’m wrong). Report within 48 hours. Towards the end of the season one would have to check in. Wouldn’t be very difficult. There are a lot of those hunts where I live that we have to check the quota. With satellite messaging and the ever increasing cell phone coverage it wouldn’t be a big deal. That’s just one idea of keeping opportunities without having to go to a draw…

Wamsutter is lovely

All very true. And really, just remove all doe tags. But elks, I cant forget how you said nonresident hunters are responsible for all the immature buck deaths. Oof. Not smart. But seriously, all those residents and nonresidents who shoot a baby buck or even a doe are actually probably important to the overall durability of the sport.
Umm the data shows that older mature bucks have the hardest time surviving the winter. Simply put they leave the rut in bad shape, they tend to me solitary making them easier picking for predators, they are more likely to get stuck in a spot and not get out as they cant follow a herd. The list can go on. Just because they are the oldest bucks does not mean they have the greatest genetics either. After all 1/2 the genetics come from the doe, and honestly a 2 year old buck breeding a doe, has the same genes when he is 4, 5, 6, etc.

HAHA. Again after a hard winter kill we should do all we can to maintain resident opportunity and the first and the deepest cuts should always be to NR side...

Wyoming has the largest rainy day fund of any states (almost $2 billion). We can pay for things just fine.
Sad that you toss general references around without really knowing anything.

Why? There are several limited units in the state, which one is as good as G and H? The truth is we should get rid of all limited units for residents and have all of them be general. Use season length limits to decrease harvest point restrictions and more...

What would be the goal of limiting G and H? What specifically are we hoping to accomplish?

All very true. And really, just remove all doe tags. But elks, I cant forget how you said nonresident hunters are responsible for all the immature buck deaths. Oof. Not smart. But seriously, all those residents and nonresidents who shoot a baby buck or even a doe are actually probably important to the overall durability of the sport.
HAHA. Go back and relook at what I said. I never once said it was all NR, but I still stand by the idea that a NR who only gets to hunt WY once every 5 years or less is more likely to settle for a sub par buck than a resident who knows every year they have another chance...

Also where are they killing the Doe?

HAHA. Go back and relook at what I said. I never once said it was all NR, but I still stand by the idea that a NR who only gets to hunt WY once every 5 years or less is more likely to settle for a sub par buck than a resident who knows every year they have another chance...

Doe and fawn tags all across the west.

So a 3 year old is an older mature buck? I thought you said the NR kill all the 3 year olds with any potential!!! Now 3 is old and mature?

My poll proves otherwise. ?

So a 3 year old is an older mature buck? I thought you said the NR kill all the 3 year olds with any potential!!! Now 3 is old and mature?
???? Dude where did you get a 3 years old is mature? I think you need to lay off the shrooms… read that post again and apply a little critical thinking.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom