hog hunting...

diyidaho

A friend of mine invited me to Texas to hunt hogs on his land. He has around ten thousand acres so it should be a great time. Any info to hunting hogs? I'm a western fella and have no idea what to expect. Thanks fellas

study their vital parts structure. You will find their heart and lungs are more forward in the body then most other game animals.

If at close range , put the bullet in their ear hole. Most will go for a shoulder shot. You do not need a magnum to bring them down, what you do need is a good tough bullet that will break bone on the shoulder shot and get into the vitals.

I have seen Rem. Core-Lokt bullets blow up on the shoulder shot and the hog is not recovered after loss of blood trail.

Best eating is young boars of around 100-125 lbs or sows around 150-200 lbs. Those big old stinky trophy boars can stink to high heaven at times.

RELH

Sounds like a lot of fun. My dad is working in sweet water tx, and he says the hogs are everywere out there. Makes me want to go for a visit.

Thanks for the info and replies. I'm leaving the first of february. Looking forward to a new hunting experience.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-11 AT 11:51AM (MST)[p]You will love hunting hogs! Its very fun and action packed. RELH is right about shot placement. A good quality bullet is a good idea also. Quarter away shots are good also. The best eaters are 80-125lbs. Pigs are very solid animals but a good shot usually puts them down easy. What caliber rifle and bullet are you planning on taking?

I'm not sure what rifle setup to take. I have a 300rum, 264 win mag and a 220 swift. What would you suggest? I was leaning towards the 264 with 140 accubonds.

Your choice of the 3 should do well. The smaller caliber would do fine if you could shoot one in the ear hole like mentioned previously, but I would go with the .264 and that will allow a body or head shot as the case presents.

Hogs are some tough animals! I have dropped big ones in their tracks and have had others take a lickin' and keep on tickin'... This video shows one of the tough ones!!

I would take the advice from these guys and go for a head shot. The 50-100 pounders do taste the best, but shoot every one of them you can.....big or small!

Here is another video from last year.

IMG_0191.jpg

349616946_1201476374_0.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

The only time I did it was this past Christmas in Florida and we chased them with dogs. It is a blast, that is all you need to know, and don't get to close to the big ones.

Great videos there Chase! I see you're way up almost in Okie land. I hunt down south of San Antonio an hour or two whenever I can get down to see the folks in San Antonio. You're absolutely right in that you should shoot every one you see!!! The biggest we've ever shot down there were two big old black boars that went close to 400# live weight! Both of them went right down with shots in the ear hole!!!

If you can get the opportunity to hunt at night over feeders or open fields, that alone is worth the price of admission.

Good luck and have fun.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-11 AT 02:30PM (MST)[p]any thing that will kill a deer will kill a hog, try and kill the sows. they are the better eatin or a young boar. hunitn in texas is legal to bait with corn so buy some before u get to the ranch. u can dump it in piles and setup with a bow or pistol to hunt that way or just use a rifle for longer shots. if u kill a real small one u may want to leave as much fat on it as possibe for a whole hog roast. other wise take all the fat off before u freeze the meat
2vad2ld.jpg

I KILLED A GOOD BOAR FRIDAY....& NORMALLY SHOOT 2-4 HOGS A MONTH .......SOMETIMES MORE. THE BOAR I SHOT FRIDAY WAS SHOT AT ABOUT 8 YARDS....DOUBLE LUNGED HIM.....WENT ABOUT 30 YARDS. THEY ARE TUFF & HARDY ANIMALS. UNLESS YOUR A CRACK SHOT THE EAR SHOT IS NOT ADVISED.....TOO MANY THINGS CAN GO WRONG AT A SMALL/ AND SOMETIMES MOVING TARGET. I HAVE HUNTED HOGS SINCE 1987....ITS A PASSION WITH ME (GET A LOT OF GOOD YOTE CALLIN AT THE SAME TIME). I BELIEVE I AM UP TO ABOUT 246--250 DEAD HOGS....GOIN AGAIN THURSDAY.....CANT WAIT........YD.

DIY,

I hunt hogs 1-2 times a year down on the coast in Cali, which is a long drive from my home in Idaho, but it is a blast. Where I hunt the shots can be long, but unless they are in the barely fields they will be in or next to brush. I hear in Texas, since it's so flat you will usually be in the brush with them. I mention this as the length of the shots may be limited a high % of the time. You might want to bring the gun that you can shoulder and acquire the quickest with. Hogs aren't as curious as deer, meaning if they do hear or smell you they will decide where they want to exit and bee line out of there without thay deer like look back. The other thing to consider is, they don't leave as good of a blood trail usually, so pay attention to where they head after the shot. Of the 6 kills I've been around most have died fairly easily, including a few with 100 gr noslers from a 243 at 300 yds, so you don't need too much gun, but you don't want to make a bad shot. Shoulders and lungs for sure. Head shots only if you have a super accurate gun, a dead rest, and a resting heart rate under 90! Good luck.

PS Did you know we do have some isolated wild populations of wild hogs here in Idaho. This is not fantasy, I was in the office of a Fish and Game officer when he took a call about a sighting. I figured the caller was misreading sign, but the cop said they had "multiple" reports from the same area and had seen both the rooting and animals himself. Don't ask me where, but I will say it's within 50 miles of Boise.

If it is a pig under 60 lbs or so, I gut them and save them whole for the smoker. If its a bigger pig, I split them up the back and take the backstraps and hind quarters and leave the rest, there is not much meat on the front, unless you are making burger out of the neck meat.

Ate some curried wild boar last night. On the hind quarters, I reccomend slow cooking them in a cooking bag with a whole jar of head country spicy BBQ. Cook at 180 for 10 hours all the fat will render out and you should get some falling off the bone pork.

bkphunter that is awesome news ! i hope they breed like all get out. i heared there have been some around midvale for a whille now but ?? i was going to go on that pig hunt by shosone but after lucking at the youtube video didn't look overly sporting, and i didn't think sagebruch hogs would taste too good either. not to get too personal, but approx how much did the cali trip cost? i am a idaho boy too.

Thanks for all the replies, i really do appreciate it. We will start hunting this Thursday. I'm starting to get pretty excited about it.

BPKHUNTER,

I am well aware of the pigs you talk about in Idaho, they have been there along time. There is actually 2 places within 50 miles of Boise which hold pigs. Also another spot outside of Grangeville

Shoot straight and shoot often the ranchers will thank you for it.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom