Hold over @ 150

desperatehills

Very Active Member
I am shooting a T/C Triumph 50 cal. with 100 grains of BH209 and a 250 grain shock wave sabots. I don't have access to a chonograph for entering bullet velocities into some of the ballistic calculators. Has anyone shot a similar set-up and know where bullet impact will be at 50, 150, and 200 yards? The gun is zeroed at 100 yards. With the 1x scope I don't plan on shooting at 200 yards but it would be good info to know if things get squirrely. Thanks, Desperate Hills

Go to hornadays web sight find the bc of that bullet frontier has listed your speed and try www.handloads.com/calc and fill in the info, for me it has been really close worth giving a try, if you have problems let me know and I will help you out.

My advice would be to try real hard not to exceed 150 yards unless you can hit the gong consistently beyond that. As far as hold, for the bullet and velocity and zero you have set, you should have at least a 120 yard hold dead on range. For a shot of 150, I would hold right at his spine.

A good rule of thumb is "always hold on meat". In other words, if you have to hold above the topline of the animal, it is too far for your set-up, so if you are unsure of the distance, never hold above the animal.

That said, you might consider a zero of 1-2 inches above bullseye at 100 yards. That doesn't change the closer hold, but extends your distance a bit.

I am jealous! Good luck!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

+1 I am sighted in dead on at 125 yds. that puts me pretty flat to 150 yds and about 8" low at 200 yds and has worked out pretty good for me. With my 1X scope I know from 150 to 200 I just have to hold on the upper back. Any thing closer, hold it dead center and it's a done deal.

I will work hard to keep my shot at 100 yards or less. I would like to know the longer distances in case of a emergency. Like if I knock a buck down and it takes off. Once a deer is hit the lead will fly until it dies. On the deer and elk I have killed in Oregon most the shots were around 70 yards. I did kill a elk at 140 but that was the exception. I have spined a lot of the critters I have taken with my muzzleloader, not on purpose, its just where I hit. I think I tend to aim for the center between the back and chestline just behind the shoulder. The under 100 yard shots should hit a little high but not as high as I tend to hit. I started aiming lower and hitting the shoulder. I dont think I use to consider the up and down as much as I do now either.

MY Muzzy is 3 1/2" high at 100 yards and dead on at 150 yards 8" low at 200 yards shooting a barnes sabot 290 grain with 90 grains of bh209.

I'm shooting a 300 gr. Hornady low drag sabot with 100g. 777 and I'm 1" high @ 50, 3" high @ 100 and 9-10 low @ 200.
I wasn't able to shoot BH209 in my gun but I assume it'd have a bit more speed. Haven't had a chance to shoot 150 yet but I'm guessing my zero will be around 130-140.

With that setup you should be shooting around 1800 fps. Zero at 100 yards and you'll be 4.5" low at 150, 13" low at 200. I'd agree with others on here, sight it 2" high at 100 yards. That will put you within 2" of the target out to 150 yards and only 9" low at 200. A word of advice though, be sure to go shoot a target at 200 yards to verify your ballistics before trying a shot on a deer at that range.

How does that work with the sabbot? I've been on the Hornady site and looked at the calculator. I got the average speed off of the 209 site. But I am shooting 240gn XTP with a green crusher sabbot. Isnt using a sabbot going to give me a different drop etc?

respect my authorita

I tried but my crosshairs completely covered the target. I bought a new scope yesterday with finer hairs that I will try this weekend.

I hate to be the downer, but others have said, go outside and shoot it at something 150 yards away. Where does it hit? The last thing you should be doing is trying to guess at hold over for a hunting situation.

Just got back from the range with my TC Omega/wNikon Omega BDC scope, 250 Barnes 100grns BH209.Great tight groups @ 100but hits below target on board @ 200.Book says to dead center @100 and BDC dots will hit at that distance...not.I'm thinking of setting it at 1 1/2" high @ 100 like my -06 and others have stated.200 yrds is a long way for a MZ I think,but want to have some distance just in case,have a bull hunt here in 30 days.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-11 AT 03:14AM (MST)[p]I would think more on the lines of setting it 3-4 inches high at 100 yards-its no 30-06. The bullet will not rise much more than where it is at 100 yards before it starts to drop.

Personally I would try 4 inches high at 100 and you should not be more than 6 inches low at 200. You should be dead on around 150ish and no more than 5 inches high between 100 and 150.

Basically you would be in a elk's vitals with a dead center hold at any distance between the muzzle and 200 yards (using the center reticle).

I shoot the same setup and load your shooting with the exception that I shoot a 300 gr shockwave. At 100 I'm 3 1/2 high - dead on at 150 and 6 low at 200. A 285 gr Barnes does about the same. The 250 will fly a lil flatter but should be similar to this & the best advise you got on here is to put up a 200 yd target and see what it really is.

I posted my real results here last weekend but I must not have hit post. After mounting the scope with the finer crosshairs I got it hitting 3" high at 100. All the shots used 100 grains of BH209. I shot 3 groups of 3 different sabot bullets at 100 yards and all were in about a 3" circle. I took 4 shots at 200 yards. The first two I aimed for the bullseye. They hit below the paper. The next two I held on the top of the paper and they hit near the middle of the target. The 4 shots measured between 14 and 15 1/2 inches low @ 200. I should have shot more but I don't plan on taking a 200 yard shot so I decided to save the ammo. I can't set up a target at 150 at this rifle range. My groups were so good at 100 I think I could hit at 150. 200 is asking too much of my ability. I will come back here and let you guys know how the hunt went. Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can get within 100 yards.

I shot yesterday with 120g bh powder and a 300 bonded shock wave sabot I was 8 inch high at 100 and 3 inches high at 175 just how I like it for elk ths worked for me and my family really well

I entered the info on Hornadys site and was somewhat close. I shoot 100 gr pyrodex pushing 250 grin XTPs , I'm 2.5 inches high @100 yards and have 6 inches of drop at 150.I have nearly 13 inches drop at 200, it just looses velocity after 150.I was told to load up in powder to get more at 200 yards but my barrel drives these pills solid out to 150.My dads set up is very close to mine and his barrel is 2 inches shorter, he has 7 inches of drop at 150 shooting Barnes MZ.I really think every muzzle loader is jusy finicky and needs a load worked up that shoots solid out of it.My gun is a TC Firehawk SS and my fathers is a TC Black diamond.

Just talked to a guy and he said the Nikon BDC only works at high power on the scope.I always set my vari-scopes at 6 and adjust as needed.So I'll play with it this week,but I think the advice of 4" high @100 is the way to go.

Thanks for all the help. While on my hunt I found myself glassing ridges and taking out my rangefinder to see how far I could shoot. I was covinced that before to long I would be faced with a decision on a long shot. Luckily I didn't. On the third day of the hunt I poked a hole right through the lungs on this buck @ 90 yards.
9992img_1781.jpg

My wife found this buck the day before the season. We saw him 4 times before I sealed the deal

Very nice, Glad that you found and got a nice one. Beautiful Buck.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom