Holy spider monkeys!

toprut

Over the weekend I was scouting for a September elk hunt in the Reserve area and came across a troop of 4 critters I wasn't familiar with. After some quick research it was clear they were coatimundi. I managed to get some brief cell video of one of them, but not the greatest quality:

[URLwww.youtube.com/watch?v=zLfuGiXU1Yk][/URL]

It was a pretty cool encounter. For those of you more familiar with the area, how common is it to see coatis in the Gila region?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-16 AT 11:55AM (MST)[p]I have seen them down there. Not real common to see them I think.Only seen them a handfull of times in my life.

We were hunting south of reserve several years back. We were driving down a mountain road and my buddy yelled back up. I got a glimpse of one and thought we were both on drugs. He looked at me and said I am pretty sure i just saw a %$&^%* monkey. We were told later what we saw were coatamundi

weird critter for sure

Interesting creatures for sure. Ran into a lone male in 17 in a canyon with some water. Much more distinctly marked than the female in your video. I have seen videos of large groups of them and they don't seem shy at all. Came right up to the hikers and were checking them out.

I wondered what those were. Out of 12k trail cam pics, I got 2 pics of these guys. Must be rare.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom