Home Made Layered Targets

completesportsman

Long Time Member
There has got to be a material that a guy can buy and make his own layered target. Back in the day I remember seeing cardboard stacked and sandwiched betweeen 2x4's and threaded rod. If there was some sort of foam out there a guy could make a nice target the same way. I've been trying to come up with something but haven't yet, anyone have any ideas or suggestions they are willing to share?

Yeah, when I lived in an area with an archery club about 20 years ago, we sandwiched cardboard and compressed them as you described. For an outdoor target, you'd need to keep it covered to decrease moisture damage and of course it would be bulky and heavy, so not really portable. Otherwise, they seem to make good targets.

I took a 30x36x12 deep cardboard box and inserted 11 one inch styrofoam house insulation inside. Stops my arrows and not too heavy. Even put a carry handle on it.

>layered compressed carpet. again, very
>heavy bust last a LONG
>time.

i did this years ago to. used a banding tool to compress it. i have seen rathcet straps used to. only good for feild tips tough.

The club I shoot at buys these layered carpet butts and they are amazing. Last for thousands of shots. If you go to a carpet shop you can often get some samples and band them up. Works great.

I was at Walmart and saw a fairly large and thick foam target for $17. If that's still too rich for you, you could stop by a carpet store and ask for the used carpet pad they rip out of houses. You could cut it, layer it, and compress it like your cardboard idea and you'd have something that would last forever and wouldn't disengrate when it got wet. Personally I'd fork out the $17...

Don't buy the one from Walmart if your bow shoots over 300fps. Dad bought one and it would not stop any of our arrows! Not even once. Good news is Walmart took it back even though it had an arrow hole from 3 arrows.

I just bought a 59.99 target on sale at Cabelas last saturday, their layered "Shot Stopper XD", I shot it for the first time yesterday and the first two arrows I shot went completely through it!

I thought about returning it but I think I'll keep it for the kids to shoot at, it should stop their arrows.

I guess I'll buy me a better target or make one. The layered carpet might be the way to go.

if you wana buy a cheep good one i have 3 hurricane targets payed like 30 bucks for them .Or i have 2 home made ones for around 10 bucks big white grain sack for the outside then i roll up old shirts or thrift store rags cheep layer them in their till you are as tall as you want and mine came out around 10" thick stops thousands of arrows and dosnt even show ware will weigh like 12 lb but is cheep and good .just a thought

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom