Honda Foreman Rubicon

400bull

Very Active Member
I just noticed the post on the Polaris sportsman 500 and seen that most of you would reommend getting a Honda. I've been thinking about getting the Honda Rancher but just went down too the local Honda shop where the salesman intoduced me to the Rubicon. What are your thoughts on getting the Rubicon over the Rancher? Anyone have the Rubicon? If so what do you like/dislike about the bike?

Thanks for you input. I want to make sure I get the right bike the first time.

400bull

>If so what do you
>like/dislike about the bike?

The price. Great bikes though

-DallanC

I have an old honda right 1992 350 4x4 now and if i was to buy new today i would get the 500 rubicon, plenty of power and good auto transmission. Ive heard nothing but good from them.

Have one of each. Bought the Rancher first to take to CO. to save wear and tear on my pickup on the rough roads. Also, was using it to do work on the place. It was going OK with the work but you could tell it was all it wanted so I bought a Rubicon.

The Rancher works great in the mountains and general work around the farm. However, the Rubicon does ANYTHING I need it to do.

I take the Rancher to the mountains because it the right size, does the job and less to go wrong than the Rubicon.

DallanC,

Couple things that I like about the Rubicon over the Rancher (1) The Rubicon has a larger engine (499cc) compared to (397cc)the Rancher.
(2) The Rubicon has a high/lower gear range.
(3) The Rubicon has indapendant front suppesion with dual spring rear suppesion.
(4) The Rubicon comes standerd with a digital odometer where the Rancher comes with the digital odometer if you opt for the upgraded GPS capabilities.

Can't say as there is a thing that I dislike about the Rancher. My dad and brother's agree with the previouse post where the Rancher at times doe's not have the power they would like when working arround the cabin. The Rancher has handled everything they have asked it to do while out riding trails.

400bull

My brother owns 2 of the Honda Rubicon's. And while they are great bikes and I certainly like Honda's, the Rubicon does have a couple of down sides.

1. The weight of the bike. It is very bulky and can be tricky to manuever.

2. The power of the bike. For a 500, it's a little dissapointing. I think the automatic transmission sucks a lot of it up.

3. Gas mileage. They are piggies! Be warned.

In my opinion, stick with something lighter and non-automatic. The trade-off just isn't worth it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

-Lucas :)~

FYI, I saw ATV TV last week and they did a review of the best atv's for 2006. The Rubicon did very well and was rated number one in a couple catagories.(don't know specifics) The top rated 4x4 utility atv for '06 was the Yamaha Girzzly 700. This thing even has power steering and the show host raved about that feature as well as the machine overall.

I am on my second Rubicon, and would highly recomend them! I got rid of my first one because a buddy "just had to have it". It was an '03 and yes, it was a bit of a gas pig. I now have an '05 and wouldn't trade it for anything out there. I think it has plenty of power and gets a lot better gas milege. A lot of that is due to being able to take it in and out of 4 wheel. Honda's are tough as nails, and they will last forever!

Elk

Just broke in my new 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700, the bike is awesome. Tons of power and rides like a dream. Big new features are powersteering, fuel injection, relocation of gas tank to lower center of gravity, suspension is awesome and I love the diff lock. Great machine!

I have a Honda Foreman 450 ES it's big and powerful, plows snow great, hauls deer and elk no problem. My bro has the Rancher and it is smoother rideing and steering on the trail at higher speeds 25 - 40 mph.is easier. If you want the best of the best get the Honda Rincon. The RINCON is by far the best atv Honda makes!

I'm on my second Rubicon and I would'n hesitate to buy another one. The gearing is perfect for going up steep terain and when your going down it really maintains a low enough gear to avoid a train wreck.I like the way they are built with a lower profile to keep your center of gravity in check. I have hauled out elk whole.You can go months without using it and it fires right up. It is a work horse. You won't regret buying a Rubicon.

Mike

I have a Rubicon and I take most of its features for granted, it's a great quad. One thing that cannot be overlooked is its poor mileage. I'm not sure what the mileage of a rancher is by comparison but I have sworn that my next quad will be a rancher or a rincon (which allows you to disengage awd).

The Rincon is auto shift or you can set it up to shift it youself, it rides 100 times smoother than the Foreman, has more horsepower and will go faster. You can put it in 4 wheel drive or leave it in 2 wheel. It has a built in gps unit, the first time I drove my friends Rincon it didn't take 100 yards to tell that the Rincon is in a class by it's self and I don't own one I own a Foreman. The Foreman (which I like alot) doesn't even come close to the Rincon!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-06 AT 04:20PM (MST)[p]I had a 2003 Rincon and sent it down the road because the tranny is a P.O.S.! They upped the CC's and added EFI in 2005, but didn't do anything to the tranny. They still have no low range and no engine braking below 8mph. If you do any steep downhills or rock crawling, you'll be riding brakes the whole way. Yeah, they're fast and ride smooth, but the tranny is a deal killer for me...YMMV

I've owned two Rubicons and I believe they have the absolute best transmission available in an ATV. You have the choice of two gear ranges in auto mode (D1 and D2), low range, plus the ability to shift manually with your thumb if you prefer. The Rubicon might not be the biggest, baddest, or smoothest riding, but they get it done when it comes to hunting, hauling, or working. The biggest drawback (for me) is they don't have a locking front end and they're not fuel injected.

I recently sold my '04 Rubicon and bought an '06 Suzuki King Quad. I can't even begin to tell you how hard it was for me to go away from Honda because I've had such good luck with them, but they simply don't offer everything I wanted in a quad.

The King Quad is not perfect, but it's real close. If Honda would either put independant suspension, a locking front end, and EFI on the Rubicon, or a locking front end and a decent transmission in the Rincon, I'd buy one tomorrow!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-06 AT 04:38PM (MST)[p]Slowbow,

Take a look at the Warn 424. They cost $249.00 or so at Rocky Mountain ATV. It allows you to shift in and out of 4wd. I had one on my '04 Rubicon and there was no comparison between it and the '02 I had. The '04 was much easier to steer and way better on gas.

A guy I work with just had a Warn 424 installed on his Rubicon. He said the installation, including an oil change, was $150.00. If you're at all mechanically inclined, I'll bet you could do it yourself in half a day.

thanx for the reply forman, that is what i have herd about the rincon, that the tranny sucks, i 'd buy one if it had the ruby's tranny.

You ride a Foreman all day and it will flat wear you out it has to be the hardest steering atv I've ever owned but it's a brute.Trust me get a Rincon, my bud's had one going on 2 years and not a lick of trouble with it but then again he knows what he's doing. What ever ya get good luck.

This is why i love this site no matter what your researching to buy someone else is also and you can kick around ideas with everyone.I am going to finally but a atv before my hunt in November.Does anyone have any experience with the Yamaha Kodiak 450 or the Kawasaki 650 Brute force.The Yamaha was named best of class (400) on the ATV TV show on OLN.I'm trying to keep the price down and these 2 are in my price range. I do want the IRS and these 2 have them.The Honda's with IRS is to much $. Any thoughts on these 2
Oilcan

P.S. Sorry if i'm stealing this thread

Oilcan,

The Yamaha Grizzly/Kodiak 450 offers a lot of bang for the buck. I like them for several reasons including the fact you get IRS and a locking front end in a machine that's a little bit smaller and easier to handle than the big bores. I think 450cc's is plenty, plus you'll keep some money in your pocket.

If you're interested in a manual tranny, Yamaha is putting IRS in what used to be called the Big Bear (400cc's) along with a five speed manual. I prefer automatics, but I know some guys like the idea of shifting. In case you didn't already know it, all Yamaha utilities are now called Grizzlies, with the difference being the displacement...Grizzly 400...Grizzly 450...Grizzly 660...Grizzly 700.

Good luck in your decision.

YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT THE KAWI BRUTE FORCE 650 OR 750 I HAVE THE 750 AND IT'S BADASS!!!

I have a 2003 Rubicon and overall it has been a good reliable machine. I love the transmission- it's very smooth and has great downhill braking - you hardly ever have to touch your brakes. It rides noticeably rougher over rocky ground than my friends Polaris with IRS. I've only had one problem with it: sometimes it makes a shrill squealing sound out of the front end, very loud and annoying, the deer can hear me coming a mile away. It sounds sort of like the front brakes, but applying them has no affect on the noise, the only way to stop it is to let the machine come to a complete stop. It's not really a metal-on-metal sound, it's more like a resonance or "ringing" sound. I suspect it may be the backing plates on the front drum brakes. Anyone else with a Rubicon ever experience anything like this?

What kind of gas mileage does the Honda Foreman 4x4 get. Was down at the local Honda shop and the salesman wouldn't give me a straight answer. Don't know if he didn't have any idea or just didn't want to give me the info I wanted.

Thanks,
Alo

I've got 2005 Kodiak. Had a foreman, this is much better. Smaller machine so its easier to get in and out of tight spots. The diff lock is the bomb in snow. 21 MPG. I like the CVT tranny and the Yamaha system lets you run in high even if your going slow. Plenty of power, pulled a cow elk up a muddy mountian I didn't want to take my truck down. 50 MPH, not that I need to go that fast. Fits in the back of a small bed pick up. Good question to ask yourself; When you get into trouble, and you will, what machine are you most comfortable on?

I decided on the 07 Yamaha grizzly 450 in realtree hardwood camo.I picked it up 2 days ago so i have not had a chance to really take it out yet.I will be doing some work on our duck blind next weekend so i'll get to take it out, can't wait.

I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I own a 2004 Honda Rancher 4X4. I have two friends who have Rubicon's. I've ridden both and both are great bikes. The Rubicon has the tranny, two ranges and the ability to shut off the front wheels. The Rancher is 4 wheel drive all the time and only a 350 (329 actually). My Rancher does all I need, however top speed on flat gravel roads is 40MPH and at times I have trouble keeping up wit the Rubicon's.

I've also witnessed the Rubicon's ability to gobble up fuel. When my buddies Rubicon is below 1/2 tank, I'm at 3/4. They both hold the same amount of fuel. I know my Rancher will go 110 miles on the main tank that is about 2 3/4 gallons and still have a little in the tank. I've never gotten into the 3/4 gallon reserve. Sounds like 40 MPG.

I saw some other brands mentioned in other posts on this topic. I might mention that as far as reliability in ATVs, Honda has NO peer. In two years and 3000 miles I have had no repair bills, only oil changes and valve adjustments.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom