Hooked on Utah

sageadvice

Long Time Member
How many of you guys saw this show yesterday? It was shown on one of the Outdoor Channels, a huge bull killed(the good part), 520+yds with a 25-06, and about a dozen shots taken, 3 or 4 before hitting him the first time. After reloading a couple times anyway, the lady must have ran out of shells because i think they said she used another rifle to finally put a second round in the bull which still didn't drop him...

...and, it was a high fence hunt!

I thought it a pretty sad deal. Other opinions?

Joey

I really don't like the show. Done in very bad taste.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I have really like the show for the last year.

Last nights show was the only one that I did not enjoy.

And after all that longrange missing----it turns out is is a high fence hunt.......

Sad that they went to that type of hunt on the show.

Robb

I think it was on the sportsman channel. Out of respect of a few of those on this site i will not comment on the hunt.

...and they had her shooting at this bull elk using stand up shooting sticks. I'm a fairly decent shot but hey, put me on those sticks like that and i'd probably miss him at 300 yds let alone at over 500. That little a cartridge, that long of a distance, and a guessing game of where the bullets were hitting...

I'm thinking they should have left this episode in the can!

Joey

Here that! Treed
I guess that show how great Utah really is!! High fence 500 yds that is bull shiiit! What is our sport coming too when we feel the need to kill a giant and go to any length to do it! We should all be ashamed

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-10 AT 12:33PM (MST)[p]It is a garbage show, showing the worst of hunting. I can't imagine TR guiding those people and being part of that debacle. I saw a few minute here and a few minutes there of trash. Anyone notice they saw a limping raghorn, yet the guy calls it a spike.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-10 AT 02:20PM (MST)[p]There was a post earlier this month about this show, that episode showed some a$$ clowns road hunting non stop burning through a boxes of shells taking 800 yd shots at spooked speed goats. Still not sure why i dvr that bull chit. Good to see they where still road hunting hard on this high fence elk hunt.

18 shots+550+yards+highfenced elk+ major tv exposure= God bless Utardia and SFW!! Also helluva a Bull! Congrats!
...just sayin

I posted the earlier post it was the most ridiculous hunting show I have ever seen. The guy emptied his gun twice at antelope and didn't hit one, right off the road as well. His kids were worse they shot at least 3 boxes of shells for the whole brood to get 10 antelope. I was embarrassed for whoever produced the show.

This is posted on their website. Not sure which debacle it refers to:

"At Hooked on Utah we condone only the legal and ethical enjoyment of our precious natural resources. Recently, we inadvertently filmed and aired hunting footage contrary to this standard by an individual not associated with Hooked on Utah. Your comments and concerns brought this to our attention and we have taken appropriate action. Thank you for your vigilance and support."

No that was put on their page when they showed a goose hunt. In the episode it clearly showed one of the guides shooting four times at a flock of geese. When they got called on it the they pulled the episode.

I can't stand that "Adventure Guide" dork. They posted promotional footage on Youtube and it clearly shows one of the Utard guides firing off 4 shots at geese. Just the other day I saw a commercial on the OD channel or SM channel what ever channel it is advertiseing that episode and it showed that dumb Utard firing off 4 shots again. I got the feeling they were going to air it anyway, maybe thay pulled it.

No estas en mexico ahora, entonces escoja tu basura
chancho sucio.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-10 AT 08:39PM (MST)[p]Is it just the Sportsman Channel?? Cuz I just watched a different show where a guy is rifle hunting elk in Utah......in camo.

Pred

Could they be suggesting that is the way all Utards hunt, or they feel it portrays the average Utard at his hunting best.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-10 AT 10:16AM (MST)[p] Very poor example of what hunting should represent but what the hell later they had the best of the west boys up ( Long Range Pursuit) and they clearly could have walked over to the top of the ridge in front of them to make the shot but hey that doesn't sell their products. At least they can shoot, but they still had to walk over that ridge to get to their elk and there was clearly plenty of light left and they could have easily got closer but didn't.

We are seeing hunting change before our eyes and when you have a woman say she's never shot that far on the program and a bunch of guys telling her to keep shooting that just reinforces the fact. Like it or not this programming is pushing hunting as we used to know it to long range shooting. It's in vogue and all those guys with the high dollar outfits are going to cry when that elk they see is being shot at by some poor guy with a $600.00 outfit because the reality is you don't need that expensive outfit to partipate just a few more rounds and a spotter.

Those lapuas won't matter one damn bit because poor johnny can lob them out there with his out of the box rifle too and he may actually surprise you with what he can hit or scare or wound just like the big boys. If you have a gun you can shoot with the big boys and all that talk about practice and such doesn't matter one damn bit does it. Yep hunting has evolved into just shooting......and you don't have to buy a .416/30 Whizby to get involved just an ordinary rifle will get you in the game and onto the field and you don't have to have a big checkbook either........ My my what progress we've made thanks to the miracle of TV and the almighty dollar.....and our quest for face time.

Boskee, I thought the same thing when the camera pulled back after the shot- why would any hunter not go to the next ridge?? For TV?
I mean, this may have been private land and they may have been and known they were the only hunters there, but it does not look good when you have two young ones who watch these shows and have been tauht from the beginning that you never shoot at a skylines animal nor over a ridge.

I applaud those who do have the skill to shoot long distances, most of the time it takes tons of practice and discipline. I shot two animals this year at ranges i would not have attempted in the past, but I worked loads all summer. Even then, the conditions had to be perfect or I would not have tried the shot.

But when you start claiming that any Joe can pull a rifle out of the box and dial up a range and start lobbing rounds downrange and it's ok, I dunno if I can buy off on that.

I just seems that his channel has more, er, questionable content? Maybe that's not the best way to put it.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Predator, you and I are on the same page but we have to face reality here. Look at all the scopes they make today with extended range capability and factor in they're available at all price points. All one has to do is look at the hunting blind business to campare how watching success can sell a product. Most guys don't want to sit in blinds so what other product can increase their success with less chance of a blown stalk (Extended range).

So while we agree on the content I think there's going to be a lot more lobbing shots than any of us would care to believe especially on public land. The haves no longer have that advantage they thought their high dollars setups would bring because in reality now that other guy's $600.00 setup can shoot just as far as he can and while it may or may not be as accurate they'll be shooting too because they aren't going to give fancy pants that Bull or buck if they can shoot at it too.

History has clearly demonstrated time and again that as the distance increases the wounding and mortality rates increase and that coupled with our increase and reintroductions of predators will have to have a negative effect on hunting tag numbers. With declining numbers of deer and elk in many states there's not too much upside to be had with our extended range capability in the big equation. In fact truth be known we're probably losing ground every day as the pressure increases from climate conditions, man and predator alike. It's not something I like but the numbers already appear to support the conclusion.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom