Hope I don't stir the pot too much

A

AndrewD

I am doing research for a project in a wildlife management class I am taking. I know the new deer management plan in Utah has been polarizing with many people either hating it or loving it. For the purposes of my research I wanted to ask a couple of questions of the people who oppose it.

What is your main reason for not supporting it?

What are the major flaws you see in the plan?

What would you have recommended instead of this plan?

Again, I am looking for those that oppose the plan. If you support it, great but please don't come on this thread to fight about it. If you feel more comfortable PM'ing that is fine also. I truly hope I don't start a war on here.

One last thing, this is not actually my first post. I registered when I was in Iraq and posted but forgot my username and password, and the email I used out there was deleted by the Marine Corps. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.
Andrew

Blanding_boy,
Good question. The project I am doing is actually not a paper but a powerpoint presentation. It is a synopsis of the new management plan, and my intent is to gather some opinions from the hunting public that oppose this. I have presented the reasons for the change, and the majority of those are in line with the reason people favor the plan. I am just trying to outline some of the challenges wildlife managers have faced in relation to the new plan. Thanks for your input.

You ever had a flock of ducks fly in so fast and there were so many that you didn't know what to do? or which one to shoot? and you ended up not pulling the trigger? thats whats wrong with the plan. too much going on all at once. plus if they do away with the extended archery I might just cry.

It was a big bodied 2 point.

My main reason for not liking it is easy, loss of more tags. This is managment done backwards. The goal should be to increase participation, not kill it. More deer would mean more deer to hunt thus more hunters. 20bucks per doe is useless!! We need more deer, not just a few more bucks in the declining numbers we now have.

The flaw is simple. Too many variables all happening at once. By cutting tag numbers, AND micromanaging how do you know what worked? Add to that winter, and predators and you have an uncontrollable study, which will produce poor results. Second, the DWR has NEVER stuck to anything, any plan MUST be locked in place for ten years, otherwise its not a plan its just the DWR and their "do something" disease.

I support micromanagment. HOWEVER, smaller units means that deer counts are more important. I would like to see both the DWR and an outside group count. A small unit would mean 1 biologist counting, if he is lazy, or wrong, the unit is adversly affected. College students, dedicated hunters, conservation groups could be used.
Also, a point system would be helpful. 3 point or better for those 18yrs old or older. I don't by the "it puts too much pressure on the mature bucks" theory. No one ever passed on a 4 point to kill a spike. As for accidental kills, yeah, but in time just like on spike bull units this goes down. HOWEVER, and I said it earlier, THE PLAN MUST BE IN PLACE FOR A LARGE TIME FRAME!!!! We can't continue the current managment sytle of yearly changes just for change sake.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom