Hornady Ammunition?

LouieT

I was thinking of trying some Hornady ammunition in my hunting rifles. It is cheaper that federal premium and Remington premium shells. How is the quality of the loads and are they generally accurate?

Thanks,

Louie

Hornady makes some great ammo at a good price. They make good bullets and it shoots better than other brands in some guns. It's good quality ammunition.

My guns have really liked the SST killed a WY buck with it this fall. I am going to range this weekend with some partions to try out. Nothing wrong with it for the price.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

I have shot the Hornaday Interbond for the last 5yrs out of my Rem. .300 win mag and my kimber .270WSM. I love this bullet, I hand load and get great accuracy from these bullets as well as performance. I have taken Blacktail and Mule deer with great results. If you want some reciepes send me a PM.

Good luck,

Slide

I've had some work done over the years
with Hillcountry Rifles. They build custom
rifles, rebarrel, glass bed....lot's of stuff.

They test fire all their stuff with Hornady
ammo. They told me that's what the like to use.

I really like their bullets.

Steve Hornady took over his dad, Joyce Hornadys,
business, and didn't just rest on his laurels.
Hornady's been one of the most innovative ammo
companys in the last 20 years.

Bar none.

lv

I love the hornady light mag stuff. I shoot an 06 with 165 grain interbonds they are very accurate in my win model 70.For 30 bucks a box its a good deal. I also shoot a 243 with 58 grain V max bullets for coyotes they are the most accurate load ice found for that gun as well. So in short hornady is good stuff.

My 204 shoots hornady ammo very well.....shown on the box as "4225 fps"....chrono's "3790"....so they do like to exagerate though

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
jb.jpg

My Dad reloaded 50 rounds of 110 grain V-Max for my 30-06. He said they should sail at 3100 FPS. Varmint calling contest start up and I was wanting a heavy quick bullet for the brush down here. Thinking of working up some 22-250 rounds with some of the Hornady stuff. Any suggestions, Or has anyone had any results with the load above. Thanks

I can't comment on the '06 load.

My BIL has had good luck with, I think,
35 or so grains of Varget over their 50gr.
bullet. He's useing it for Varmit calling.

Fur's not worth much around here anymore, and
from what I've heard him say at family functions,
it opens up fox and coyote sized critters,
"with the quickness"
l

>JB,
>
>You shot any fuzzy, unsuspecting
>critters with that rig ??
>
>lrv

yes I have Larry, several, and they don't appear quite as dead as those struck with the old faithful 22-250

JB

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
jb.jpg

JB,

I don't doubt that a bit.

Kinda like the original Sheriff
of Rock Ridge.....

The old 22-250 can hardly be beat by
a "Near'er"......

thanks for the report...

lrv

I have reloaded with Hornady bullets exclusively for the past few years, especially for my handguns.

Check out any gun rag that does a firearm review. They'll generally use various types of ammo for testing. 90% of the time, Hornady comes out as the most accurate in the bunch.

They make very accurate ammo at a cheaper price than most.

i've been loading hornady SP's for my 30-06, 308, 7mm, and 270. I have outstanding groups in these rifles with great success on animal harvest throughout. I tried the hornady SST's..i was very happy with grouping, but was not at all impressed with performance when ripping through flesh and bone.

For the .204 comments. i've been loading up 32gr vmax's and find that i've been taking the .204 out to poke yotes more then my 22-250. Nothing can replace old faithful, but i love the performance of the .204 thus far. I was worried about drift, but the wyo winds have yet to carry the round away from its target.

West just wondering because I wouldn't want to use the SST on any thing other than deer but did the SP's basicaly group the same if so that is a bullet I want to try for the reasons you gave.

Thanks

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

bhunter

The SST's grouped a little tighter, but i was still holding 1 1/4 groups at 200 with the SP's. With the loads i was using my zero was almost exact between the SST and SP. I was using the same powder, but my tightest groups were found about 2 gr's difference between the SST and SP. hope that answers your question

Yes thanks I will experment with them this weekend.

I just bought a box of 154 grn Interlocks. for my 7MM. Does any one have any good loads that they have worked up with good results. my gun is a remington 700. i plan on mixing up a few loads for this weekend to try them out but any advice helps.

i've had great luck with IMR 7828 SSC. I've found it works well with the 154gr to the 175gr interlock SP's for me. I've been very happy with the velocity i get out of it. I use a Winch model 70. I'm pretty sure the hornady manual covers it. i would just start low and work up. i think the min to max is 59gr to 65.5gr. i would check to make sure.

Ditto on the IMR7828 SSC....dang good stuff. Largest group I've had with any caliber using that exact powder was about 1.25". That's the LARGEST grouping from some 7-Shorts & 300 Weatherby's.

>Tapehoser...
>
>Where the hell you bi'n ??
>
>
>Miss your stuff..
>
>Nailed it on Hornady.
>
>L

Lurking, but busy with another forum I moderate.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom