Hornady FBR field results

Yakatak

I took a spike bull Elk last week with my Omega shooting 300gr Hornady FPB bullets on top of 90gr BH-209. I shot 5 times hitting him with 4 bullets. 1st shot was right behind the front shoulder but only 3-4 inches above his chest line. 2nd shot hit him in front of his shoulders effectively slashing his throat about 6 inches that only damaged the hide. The next 2 shot's hit behind the diaphram, one about centered in the abdomen and the next right below the tenderloins.
Upon skinning I was surprised to see the exit hole appearing the same size as the entrance wounds. It's a 50 cal rifle, which leaves a pretty big hole in an animal as it is, but I was expecting to find expanded bullets on the "off" side just under the hide. But all I found was complete pass through's of all 4 bullets with no appreciable expansion.
I'm not sure if I'll use these bullets again because of these results but thought I would bounce the idea on a post here to get some opinions? This is the main reason that I quite using Powerbelts after 12 years or so.
All shoot's were taken from an "estimated" range of 180 yards.
Regards, Yak

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

He actually only hit the bull 4 times, and one of those was totally nonlethal. If I understand the description of his shots, sounds to me like the first bullet was the actual kill shot. From what he describes, the neck shot missed all the vital areas and the last two shots were through the abdomen, neither of which would kill an elk very fast with any bullet

Not sure you can say they didn't expand since you didn't find the bullets. Were the exit holes slightly bigger than 0.5 inch? After all, if it expanded some, it still would not be much bigger than 0.5. I would be real surprised if the chest shot didn't expand some. Abdominal shots are notorious for not much expansion due to passing through only soft tissue.

And with 90 grains of powder at 180 yards, there probably won't be that much expansion, but I suspect they did expand some. Here is a good write up on the FPB's and how they expand: http://www.chuckhawks.com/hornady_FPB.htm The bullet at the right is probably what your bullets looked like. Some expansion, but not a lot. That is the rub of all bullets: Expand at ALL distances/velocities is what we are after!

So, no I don't think you should give up on the bullet. If you plan on shots of 100 yards and under, your bullet/powder combo should do fine. If 180 yard shots are more likely, they you need to up your powder charge to the 110/120 gr area to get better expansion. The FPB should hold together pretty well even closer (much better than powerbelts anyway). I also use the 350 gr for elk.

All that said, there is probably not a better/tougher bullet out there than the Thor. Can't speak to the expansion through all ranges/velocities as I have never killed an animal. You might want to give them a try. If they shoot accurate in your gun they would be a great elk bullet.

However, if FPBs shoot better, I would up your powder charge and maybe use the 350 gr and never look back. I have killed two elk with 90 gr of BH 209 and the 350 gr FPB. One at 80 yards and 1 at 120 yards. Both one shot kills.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

The first shot was the deal maker of the 4. I have lost only one big game animal in my +30 year hunting career due to my arrogance of the "He isn't going anywhere" one hit is good enough theory. It was also a spike bull which taught me a lesson in "keep shooting till their down". So, I keep shooting until i'm positive of a full recovery.
I couldn't get my Omega to group well with 90 plus grains of BH 209. I started with 110gr then worked my way down to 90 to get satisfactory results.
I'm looking forward to the day I can buy Thor's at my local sporting good store. Until then, I'll keeping working with what I have available. I was although, Very impressed with the ease of loading with the 209 powder on consecutive shoots.
Thanks for the link TX, I'll check it out.
Yak

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-11 AT 05:45PM (MST)[p]I agree with you, keep firing until you know for sure he is down!

I too had trouble getting the FPB to group with above 95 gr of BH 209. But then I limit myself to 120 yards, so it is not really a problem for me. I would probably feel uncomfortable shooting at 180 yards with that load though. That said, it sounds like you had plenty of penetration though. As much as I love BH 209, if I were going to shoot long distances, I might have to go back to trying pryodex or 777

You also may get better accuracy with the 350 gr FPB, at higher powder charges. Might try and see?

And Thors are pretty easy to get. First you call him and he sends you a "sizing" group of bullets free to see what size your barrel is. Then you call or email him and order the right size and he sends them with an invoice. When you get them, you mail him a check. He doesn't take credit cards.

He doesn't keep up with his website, so you have to actually ask him what he has and how much they are. I have even ordered a couple of boxes and they turned out the be too small/big. I sent him the unused box back and he sent me the size I changed to and didn't charge me even for the postage. Great guy!

Also, here is an interesting thread I started on another site about what I did to my Omega: http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=157859#157859 .

txhunter58

Here are two different bullets used to kill two different elk, the one on the left was a cow killed at 247 yards the bullet entered the last rib and was found just under the hide behind the opposite shoulder. The bullet on the right was used on a 6x7 bull at 90 yards, bullet entered dead center of shoulder blade and was recovered just under the hide behind the opposite shoulder. The cow made it about 6 yards and the bull went about 45 yards. Both elk were shot with a tc triumph and 95 grains of bh 209 and 350 FPB

9369dscn0786.jpg

When shooting the FPB bullet,do you shoot from a clean bore or a fouled bore ?I see the instructions say to foul the barrel to get better accuracy. I have never done that though.

I always foul my barrel. Since I use BH 209, I don't worry about the fouled barrel having much of a rust problem. If I don't, my first shot always hits slightly different than a fouled barrel, and since I practice with a fouled barrel (except for the first shot, I want things the same for the hunt.

However, once I foul it, and load it, I will hunt for up to a week without reloading and have had no problems.

txhunter58

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom