Hornady FPB's

jhibbs

I have been trying these bullets in my muzzle loader, a Traditions Pursuit, for an upcoming hunt in Colorado (unit 48). They shoot well, but they are very difficult to load right from the start. They go hard all the way down, even with a clean barrel.

Do any of you have any tricks to make them easier to load? Or do you recommend another type of bullet that is well constructed and is full bore diameter?

I typically use power belts for deer, but in most cases they don't come out the other side of the animal even at relatively close range, so I feel that they might not hold up too well on elk. I typically use the 245 & 295's for deer with a 100g charge of Pyrodex, but plan on trying BH209.

Please feel free to suggest any load combinations that you use for elk, since this will be my first muzzy elk hunt.

Thanks for any advice,
Jody

Maybe your rifle has a tight bore?? Can't offer any tricks to make loading the FPB's easier, but I just got a T/C Omega and clean or dirty (15 rounds) the FPB's go down with the same force, not really easy, but not too hard either, I'd say probably 20-30 lbs force.

I have heard good things regarding "No Excuses" bullets:
http://muzzleloading-bullets.com/

Have you considered Thor bullets? They are a solid coper and available in different sizes to custom fit to your bore if you are shooting .50 cal:
https://thorbullets.com/Products.html

There's only 1 degree of DEAD!

The rear bell on the FPBs are 0.507 and the bullet itself is 0.409. Not sure how your guns barrel sizes out, but it could be a tight bore and will be hard to load these bullets.

That said, if you are not using a short starter, you will have trouble. This is the one I use: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat104701680;cat104436180

You have to also add a loading jag to the end that is designed for pointed bullets. Like this: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat104701680;cat104436180

With the bullet in place on the top of the muzzle, put the starter on top and give it a "whap" with your free hand. May require a couple of whaps. This sizes the bullet to your bore. Then push it one down with your regular ramrod. I use one with a "T" that folds back straight. This really helps push as well: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat104701680;cat104436180

When you do this the first time, don't put in the breechplug and push the bullet all the way through. Then look at the bullet. If there are grooves from the riflings only on the rear section, you are good to go. If there are grooves on the body of the bullet, you may have a bore that is too tight for these bullets.

When I used Powerbelts, I used the 405 gr aerotips with 95 gr of powder. Use a bigger bullet with 100 gr or less and you will be fine.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks for the advice Pikespeak & & Txhunter,

I'll have to try some of those other bullets and a better bullet starter. I have worried about damaging the front of bullets when the go down the barrel hard. I'll try pushing one down through the barrel to see how the rifling looks on the bullet and try to mic it to get a better idea of the actual bore diameter.

I do like the fact that Thor offers their bullets in slightly different sizes. Do they offer a mixed pack to try them out or do you just have to get one of each and experiment?

Thanks again,
Jody

Draw an index line on the FPB from tip to base and after pulling your breechplug, run them down your barrel aligning the index mark with the front sight. I have used a short starter and a mallet to get them started. Push them half way down the barrel them push them back out the muzzle. When you go to load for hunting or the range, just index the mark to the front sight and seat the bullet. Give it a solid firm seating and you will be good to go.

hntbambi,
That's an interesting idea, sizing them to the bore prior to hunting. Sounds like some additional work, but if they load easier and shoot well in the field, it is probably worth the effort.

Thanks,
Jody

LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-13 AT 11:17AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-13 AT 11:07?AM (MST)

Save yourself the money on the BH209 - it won't work in your Traditions Pursuit. You don't have the right breech plug, at least mine doesn't. It has to be a totally encased breech plug.

Which reminds me - I still have a canister of BH209 sitting around too - still waiting for txhunter58 to be ready to do some horse trading! LOL

I haven't tried the FPB's yet, though they will be my next bullet purchase and I am also going to try the No Excuses or the Thors.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Just a quick post about my experience with FPB and a Knight Disc Extreme with BH209 powder:
1. They were hard to start into the muzzle of the gun, as they wanted to tilt.
2. I had more than a couple just go poof, poor/no ignition of the BH209 powder.
3. Once I got the gun to shoot they were pretty accurate.

So, I have some "pre-indexed" now but haven't had time to try shooting them. I also found that if I loaded a dry felt .50 caliber wad between the bullet and powder the load went boom every time. I'm sure if I was using Pyrodex or T-7 I probably wouldn't need the wad, but I do like the clean burning BH209.

Sorry Roy but I will be hunting with either my T/C renegade or my new White this year, neither of which will shoot BH 209.

Will either be shooting FPBs or Bullshop conicals. Haven't had time to get out and try the new bullshops.

txhunter58

I can say muzzleloader hunting is new to me. I been shooting a .50 cal pistol. I been using hornady xtp . it does great. I get extra doe tags and shoot only less than 30 yards and the round has been very great.

Welcome to the sport nfh!

Unfortunately, we can only use full bore conicals in Coloardo, no sabots.

txhunter58

Gotcha. In wyoming our rule is 50 grains of powder. Over a .40 cal firing lead or expanding bullet..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom