Horse people

chasendeer

Anyone ever cross state lines without the coggins paper work? My friend do not want to spend the money, i think that they are not thinking to clearly. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Jay

If I understand right, they will quarantine your animals until they pay a vet to get the test done. This would take several days. Looks like a good way to ruin a hunt. I would guess a fine would be in order as well. Never been checked, but always have the papers ready as well.

That is what I say we have been 4 yrs never had then look at, they think we can get away with them. If they do not get them I think I'll say home.
Jay

Here in Texas the law says you cannot move/trailer a horse without a valid coggins test. My vet only charges $25 or so and you only have to do it once a year. IF, and I know it rarely happens, you get checked the cost will be much higher than $25.

Phantom Hunter

Just because you have never been stopped by the state police in any particular state does not mean that you will get stopped any given time, date, or place. The necessary lab work requires time and there is no short cut to it. Be on the safe side and get the horse's blood work done plenty early or do not take horses that have not been tested and proved negative. Common sense is the rule here.

I have been going from Idaho to Wyoming every summer for years on pack trips. We always get Coggins tests AND brand inspections except one year. That year we had brand inspections but no Coggins. We were pulled over by the State Patrol and asked for both papers. We had to go to a local Vet and have the blood drawn and were then allowed to continue.

We went to utah from cali several years ago and we were asked for the paperwork at one of the truck-check points. I don't remember where but I would get it done for sure.

>ktc is right. Your saving
>will prove to be rather

I would listen to 1911 if I were you. (Something tells me he knows a bit about law enforcement in Utah) Tell your friends to get the paperwork in order.

If you asking your average Utard, just obey whatever rules you see fit. Hunter orange, unit boundaries, brokered vouchers, ATV rules, those pesky season dates that get in the way of killing big bucks, the "no" in "no trespassing" really means "yes" right?.

Save yourself the grief and do it right.

$70 now or $1,000+ later and no hunt. That is the gamble. I have hunted out of state almost every year with my ponies and always have the work done. I have been checked 1 time and our health papers were expired by 1 day (even though we had been in WY for the prior 2 weeks). The Inspector let us go, but said he could fine us $175 per horse (8 horses). Life is too short to not get the tests done.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

when i had horses ,,,, thanks X wife number 3 lost custody of three beauties anyway we were comming from Idaho thru montana then home here in utah ... got stopped was pulling my morgan and was asked for the papers i did not have them i was lucky just got a ticket and a but chewing he said he could have taken the horse quarantined it made me get the test pay for the test boarding feed transportation could have been a several thousand dollar nightmare heck the horse wasnt worth that anyway get the papers done do it right becuase there watching ....they have to make that state revinew you know

They got there head out of there arsh and got the blood work done today. It was only $45 a head well worth the money for piece of mind.
Thanks again
Jay

That pretty cheap Mine was 80.00 X 2=$160 paperwork will be ready to pick up monday. That works out to 2 boxes of shells. LOL

Our vet here in Idaho pulls blood for the Coggins and we get all our paper work done for $30 per head and that includes the general health papers that have to be filled out.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-08 AT 08:00PM (MST)[p]

I charge $25. Not sure how someone could justify $80 each. His rent must be way higher than mine.

Bottom line is that anyone would be crazy to risk it. Also, it is a good law. EIA is a disease that I would wish on nobody's horse.

How much are you paying in gas to haul the horses there? Next to that, the cost of the test is negligable.

If the horses are not yours, but you get the benefit of them, offer to pay the cost. Pretty cheap rent.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

can I just send you some Blood, LOL
My niece is Vet in Clark South Dakota.
I know that California real estate is high, Hope in 5-10 years in moving your way, brought some land north of Dallas in the Greenville area.
But we do have a limited amount of BIG animal Vets in this area most of them head for that small cat and dog thing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom