Horseback hunt into wilderness areas of GMU 18

bowhuntrJLG

I did not draw this hunt this year, but am considering applying for next. I am looking for places to go to take horses and get away from roads and people. Anyone on here have any experience taking horses into the roadless areas in Unit 18? Not wanting/or looking for specific places to go. Just curious if anyone else has done this and is willing to talk generalities over the phone such as water availability, access, and general deer densities.

I did not draw this hunt this year, but am considering applying for next. I am looking for places to go to take horses and get away from roads and people. Anyone on here have any experience taking horses into the roadless areas in Unit 18? Not wanting/or looking for specific places to go. Just curious if anyone else has done this and is willing to talk generalities over the phone such as water availability, access, and general deer densities.
There’s no “ Wilderness” per say , I have taken horses in there but I do have private land access too. I take my horses on lots of hunts , the deal here that sucks is only so much of it is blm , so you can spike camp there.
The state land is vast and hot! Hard to access and long rides in and out!

Does your horse have a name?

I mean, GMU 18 doesn't seem to me to be typical horse pack terrain. Water and shade are pretty scarce in that unit. A ten minute walk in most of the GMU will put you "away" from roads and people.

Not to be too snarky, but do you really mean GMU 18? and if yes "18", are you sure you mean NM?

(@BUGLEnmIN has way more pony experience than I do but I used to live across the river from that unit.)

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom