How about a western outlook forum page

quest

Very Active Member
How about it founder a page that just predicts state by state hunting outlook. Like they have in magazines in one forum. It gets tiring going to a one state forum and read nothing but political views. A break down state by state by someone who has knowledge/information that they want to share.

It's a good idea. I think that sort of content would be great, but I don't think we need another forum for it. That really is what the state forums are for. There might be a few political opinions in the state forums, but I certainly don't think it's, "nothing but political views".
Maybe I'd need a better idea of what you're thinking...???

I’d like to see it as part of state (forum). It could be great source of information past and present. I hardly ever buy hunting magazines anymore except when they come out with their outlooks for this years upcoming hunts. You know they break it down unit by unit but I wouldn’t expect that on here… just an overview.

I will start. Here is the outlook for Oregon.

Mule Deer: Population in huge decline, low fawn ratios, terrible buck ratios and very few mature bucks, same season we have had for 50 years despite the massivedeclines, no plans or attempts to improve things.

Rocky Mountain elk: population in decline, low bull ratios and calf ratios, thousands of anterless tags. Very long seasons, elk are hunted from august through april. A very small number of quality bull hunts that require 20 plus points to draw, and are basically a once in a lifetime tag going forward. Success rates declining, although the stats are misleading because landowner tag success is included in the general hunt success rates.

Antelope: Populations and hunter success declining. Don't have any statistics to back this up, but people I trust report a big decline in truly mature, big bucks, including on hart Mt, which is a crime against humanity in my opinion. Very hard to draw tags and most hunters are settling for young, average bucks.

Blacktails and Roosevelt elk: who the hell knows? that country is so stinking wet, steep and brushy, I don't know how you accurately measure herd dynamics. I know ODFW goes out and counts a couple of hundred deer in a unit, and then claims there are 20K or 30k deer on the unit. What a joke. If you want to hunt those things, go for it. Nothing but respect for those who are consistently successful. They are better hunters than i am.

So, how did I do? Are you excited to come to Oregon? I do think we charge a little less than other states for non-resident tags. That is about the only good news I can come up with.

Scoutdog

The "political" views are a hell of a lot more important than a forecast. Whether is year round cougars, 90:10, etc, those things do far more to shape your success or lack there of in hunting.

Further. And I bet I speak for the majority, those forecasts, and previews lead to hot spotting. Most guys are pretty pissed when their areas get mentioned, because next year, they get new neighbors.

The genius of the PM is that folks can ask about areas, or animals, and guys who know can reach out, if they feel comfortable, and it's done quietly without being the Eastman's.

I’d like to see it as part of state (forum). It could be great source of information past and present. I hardly ever buy hunting magazines anymore except when they come out with their outlooks for this years upcoming hunts. You know they break it down unit by unit but I wouldn’t expect that on here… just an overview.
I think you mean like a sticky post that stays at the top of each state forum sort of like the one in campfire.

I will chime in here for what it is worth, which probably isn’t much.
I did a little recon in the deer creek, Provo canyon area today for a couple hours. Saw a couple hundred deer altogether, quite a few dead ones around Wallsburg near the road. Around sixty elk, five or six mature bulls at the mouth of Provo canyon. Maybe a couple of the deer were last years fawns but can’t say for sure. All I know is it wasn’t a 100% deer winterkill in the Heber valley area. Take it for what it’s worth.

New Mexico:

*Deer populations will begin to suffer due to the banning of trapping and large-scale coyote hunting as a result of lawyer-led wildlife management practices. Add years of drought for low fawn rates and high predation (see previous sentence) and, well, you get the picture.

*Elk is fairly stable, except for what impact past drought conditions will play. Anecdotal evidence suggests that numbers will slightly decrease due to the absence of calves with cows when wintered up in larger herds, especially in the NW part of the state.

*Oryx - increasing.

*Antelope - stable?

*Barbary Sheep - stable?

*BHS - stable

*Javalina - stable

Coyote, bobcat, fox, etc. - increasing. See comment about deer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom