How big, Desert Ram?

greatwestern

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-14 AT 05:56PM (MST)[p]Old computer finally crashed...while going through the backup drive I found probably way too many pics from past years that I'd forgotten I'd taken...this nice sheep place seems a bit slow lately, so here are a few more...never before released! :)

so, what do you guys think, how Big?

Enjoy!

83406730.jpg

70006731.jpg

79506747.jpg

64776748.jpg

89256750.jpg

Cheers

Adam

I'll poke my neck out and venture a guess: 177 4/8" maybe more but I'll bet not less than that. (I might be a couple eighths off)

When you asked "how big?", I was simply going to reply "enough".
I see that I got beat to that punchline.

He's a helluva ram, GW. Thanks for sharing with us lowly folks who have never seen a desert ram that huge!!!!

That ram must be related to the Missouri River Breaks desert sheep! LOL. That ram cannot be related to the rams we hunt in Utah.

Zeke

Thanks Z, that's what we're lookin for, some numbers! Yes Punchliners, we can see that he's quite large, but HOW large now, say? ;)

Shoulda been more clear I guess, its just a good ol Guess the Score game...good fun!

Old Ram's score has been carved in stone; so its not just speculation...step right up and take your chances if you please!

Shucks, maybe Brian will even donate us a prize for the winner! :)

Cheers

Well GW, if no one else decides to play the game then I'll declare myself the official wiener!
It will be fun to see how far I missed the score on that toad.
Hearing someone shot that ram, and we know the real score, makes me still pretty happy with my guess. I'll hold....for now!
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-14 AT 05:50PM (MST)[p]OK,
I will expose my ignorance. Based on the fact that GW assisted Mr. Hens with a 195" monster this year, I will go with the premise that the NM sheep have some mass. The pictures aren't real clear to see, but I will postulate that the ram in question is bigger than Sir Zeke is guessing. My "pie in the sky" estimate is 180 1/8.

By the way Zeke, I have heard several folks refer to you as a "weiner"! LOL

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-14 AT 06:39PM (MST)[p]When I first saw the pics I thought to myself that ram is every bit 180. So I will throw 180 dead on as my guess.

I think Deerslayer is the closest, so I'll say 186.

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

Alright, cheers guys...keep em coming!

A couple more shots for ya...really sorry that it looks like we're underwater in all the photos, just too far away, and too crap of photographer

Anyway yes! He does have plenty of mass...but he may have even more length! Well, certainly no one could never call him Shorty :)

49106744.jpg

72376740.jpg

39066743.jpg

Still workin on a prize for the winner...so step right up, if you please!

Cheers and Thanks

Okay I am going to take it back...my new guess is 185. Now is this Gross or official score???? Looks like his left horn is longer but not as heavy as the right horn...those deductions can add up quick....

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-14 AT 04:31PM (MST)[p]^AW, Boone & Crockett Official Net Score...even though I believe nets are for fish, we will go with the accepted standard to assure against any fishy business going on...ironic, I know! :)

And yes, second guesses are welcome! Only most recent will be considered when game concludes.

**edit---for everyone's info, deductions/drying totaled 1 5/8" with over an inch from deductions alone...also, right horn is the long

Cheers and Good Luck!

Adam,

I so agree...WTF why should they penalize for minor differences...just stupid....

But please don't want to hijack this cool thread....so lets let this issue die....

Hmmmm Adam.... better check my old emails...you might have sent me these pic's and the score...ha...

Nope not gonna cheat......

^No brother, not these! Just found em in the murky depths of crap hard drive the other day...but you might discover some Harvest Shots of this same ram in the old email

still kinda surprised that nobody's recognized him...many of you likely have seen him before, if maybe from a slightly different aspect ;)

Anyway, NO CHEATING! :)

RE: Prize

Great book!
The reading is pretty heady and heavy for a country bumpkin like me yet I've plowed through it over a dozen times and refer to it often.
I love it and prize the information contained within!
Zeke

My original guess is now tormenting me, given the the attractive carrot you are now dangling Mr. Simms! I now guess 181 5/8, but not knowing his horn drop by only exposing us to fuzzy views from above has me wanting to add 10". Oh well, I am crap at guessing anyway! I'd love to borrow the book after the winner reads it!!

So just to throw my name into the hat I'll say 188 3/8.the length is incredible and highly complemented with the mass. Who cares as long as the guy who ended up with him has a giant smile for the rest of his life.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-14 AT 09:57PM (MST)[p]Nice! some good guesses guys, keep em coming!

I again apologize for the crap photo quality; the pics were taken from 1680 yards...too far for my primitive techno skeelz

We'll shut 'er down tomorrow evening!

Will put up harvest pics and final score

Cheers and Good Luck!

**edit---NO 3rd guesses allowed! :)

And the winner is.....

TSX!! Nicely done! Please pm your mailing address so I can send you the Arc

Z-man wins honorable mention for breaking the ice and getting the scores rolling! :)

Old Salty's final score is 191 0/8 B&C Official, just a true Desert Monster...he was killed in 2012 by our young hunter Chase Willis on a general draw permit.

Chase and his tremendous ram
17642835.jpg

94982837.jpg

I weighed the head as pictured at 39.8 lbs!
15205859.jpg

http://wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation/hunting/documents/records/NewMexicoBigGameRecords.htm

Thank you all for your entries, I hope you enjoyed the game and seeing some somewhat crappy pics of this Hammer of Hammers! :)

Cheers'

Adam

RE: And the winner is.....

GW, thanks that was fun...Old Salty is a big old cranker for a desert, I forgot about him and low balled him by 7 1/2" but then again 183" desert is a true giant anywhere. NM is pumping out some Giants for sure. That first pic shows it all.

That kid is spoiled for life!!!!

The Ram looks bigger in these shots...usually fuzzy pictures make them look bigger...so because of your crappy camera...that is a four inch penalty and I nailed it dead on at 187...!!!!!

You already have my address....!!!!!!

That was fun.....

I really did want to add those 10" but that score is so "gaudy" and beyond my imagination, I just couldn't bring myself to it.
As I said initially. BANG!!!! Now where did I put that tape?

So GW, are there other 190 rams still cruising in those NM desert hills, or has that cream been skimmed? Obviously you found another this year. Just wondering how long that wild ride in "the land of enchantment" will last?
Cool stuff and nice prize!

Adam, I think you should send me your copy of that book too. I knew the score & didn't play beacuse you would have known I was in the loop. Besides, I really need that book to learn these damn things.....I really want a tag now!!

Congrats on all your hard work...(very earned)...you are the only consistant one in the (as we say) debacle in the desert. Red solo cup, salute!

Holy cow, I have one word for my guess: LOW-BALL! What was I thinking?

It's obvious that I know the least about scoring sheep of everyone on this thread. I just couldn't believe my own eyes on that ram.

I need to get out more. Haha

Super fun game GW. He's a tremendous ram and you're nice to share!

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-14 AT 06:28PM (MST)[p]Cheers guys, glad it was fun!

Ha! Thanks for not sandbagging Little Buddy :)
Gimme a ring, I've killed at least 4 phones since we last talked and don't have your number anymore

Thanks again Zeke for getting it going! Which also reminds me, I utterly spaced on sending the book I wanted to loan ya, will send out first thing in morning when I send TSX his prize...sorry for delay!

Anyway, thanks again to all who participated, and a nice congrats to our winner!

Cheers

Adam

See GW, it's your fault I lost the guessing game. If I'd have read that loaner book I would have been a bunch smarter with my guess. Live and learn.
Hey, that was loads of fun. The real treat was just looking at the pics of that hammer!!!! Thanks again,
Zeke

PS: LBH better not say anything about me being a sheep "nut" or anything about my left nut!!! That's another story and there won't be a guessing game about that one.
There, I beat him to the punch.
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-14 AT 07:13PM (MST)[p]Ha! Don't think this particular book would've helped much Z, but its still a pretty good read :)

Zeke,
I was going to leave your Low-Ball comment "hanging"!
But since you opened up that can, I will just say, I am glad the doc left it in tact. I am afraid if he would have taken it out, you woulda invite me over for a taste of Zeke oysters! eeeyaahhh.

Perfect GW!
I'll take good care of her and return it in like condition.
You're nice to share with me and TSX won a fine prize!
Zeke

Solo Cup.....you still got the same nutty email address?

Otherwise PM me your number......no writing, just a beer amongst friends. I got a goat pic to send to you anyway.......unlike these, a dink!

Sorry for the slack guys, meant to put up some breakdown numbers but have just been super busy...anyway, ol Salty's official dry measurements are...

Right horn:

LOC 42 4/8
Base 15 6/8
1st 14 7/8
2nd 14 1/8
3rd 9 7/8

Left Horn:

LOC 40 6/8
Base 15 5/8
1st 15 2/8
2nd 13 6/8
3rd 9 5/8

Official SCI measurement is 192 1/8

Red Solo Cup, its really too bad about that dinky 90" goat you killed...poor little dude, you prolly shoulda let the the wee small fry bugger grow up a bit no! :)

Jeez bro, good golly!

You kno me.....not lookin for a "high-five".

Just a dink.....no more, no less! Pretty heart shaped horns, though

PM me your email!

Ha! yeah D, it ain't about the hi fiver, but congrats anyway ;)

I just think that seeing beasts of such magnitude is enjoyed and appreciated by all us "nuts" and "freaks" out here and there, and that dinky little nipper of yours is, well, pretty mind blowing!

I know you prolly won't, but still think you should make a thread :)

You want to put it out there, have at it. Pics aren't worth a darn......that's what you get when a rookie goes to AZ & hunts by himself.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom