How big is this antelope

A

amby

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-14 AT 09:07AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-14 AT 09:05?AM (MST)

I took some pictures of this buck the other day and I'm wondering how big he is. I thought he was a monster when I first seen him but now I'm second guessing.

188img_1317.jpg

7260img_1319.jpg

1754img_1322.jpg

Those weak cutter will kill the score...good length (15 1/2), good top mass, average lower mass...75-78 net. Very nice buck, but no monster...shooter though for most all areas.

Tall but no mass. I would say he is a shooter but not a monster.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

I agree with 30Hart, he pretty much nailed what I thought when I first saw the pics. He just needs some big ole cutters and it would push him to high 70s if not to 80, but he has very small cutters which pushes him down to 74 75 or so.

Pass this Buck ? You found this one, a better Buck will be over the next hill ... make this hunt a good experience and have some Fun ? Good Luck ... Bruce & SilverGrand

I agree with 30Hart also.
Very nice buck but not a jaw-dropper for me. Now, add big ole prongs and he'd be taking a dirt-nap.

I just returned from moose scouting and along the way I looked at a bunch of antelope bucks and your's would rate near the top. I saw one, maybe two better. Both bucks were right on the edge of moose country. Man they are way up in the mountains! Maybe that's a tip for some of you guys who have a tag???

Great pics BTW.

Zeke

Thanks for all the input. With all the responses it goes to show how hard speed goats are to judge. I wish he had bigger cutters but this is by far the biggest I've seen this year scouting. I've got an archery tag and I hope to connect with this one but I still got a few weeks to find a bigger one. Thanks again!!!!!

Not 80 for sure. No prongs and they are low on the horn. In addition, the "mass" look is the black of the ears blending with the horn.

I think he won't go over 15". Great top mass! Good but not great mass up to prongs, and like others have said, no prongs. I'd say low 70's.....72.

In many units you would shoot him, 70 is not an average score in most hunts.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-14 AT 05:46PM (MST)[p]There is one on the wall I am looking at and he looks at like him.Same height,but mine has better cutters and more mass scored 84.Was 15-1/2 and 7 plus on the cutters,this one will be under 80.

He may be under 80, but not by much. At 15"-16" in length, and great mass above, he'll flirt with 80, but probably top out around 77-79. So hard to find a goat with mass, length, and prongs. 2 out of 3 ain't bad though, and if he's the biggest you've found, that makes him #1 on the hit list. Hunt him and kill him( unless you find a bigger one :)).

I do not see fifteen inches on that fella. He probably will only break six inches of mass on one point. When judging pronghorns mass is the number one thing to look at if you want a high scoring buck. Second is the prong and third is length. A fifteen inch tall usually will have to have eight inches from base to the top of the prong and this fella doesn't have it and he has even less above the prong. His third mass measurement is pretty decent above the prong.

Might touch 15...maybe...the prong of course will hurt...nice third mass...lower mass average I would say...I say 77ish.... But A pretty cool buck...I like his looks

Well guys I got him!!!!! I always read these posts hoping for an update so I figured I better put my money where my mouth is. I rough scored him before I got him to the taxidermist. I shot him not about 400 yards from where I took the original picture. That's my boy in the picture. Thanks for all the responses!

Right
Length 15.5
Mass 1 6
Mass 2 6.5
Mass 3 4
Mass 4 2.75
Prong 5

Total 39.75

Left
Length 15.5
Mass 1 6
Mass 2 6.5
Mass 3 4.25
Mass 4 2.75
Prong 4

Total 39

Final Score 78.75

3016img_0401.jpg

Lucky to break 70 huh tristate? LMFAO

That's a great goat man and even better bonus it was with a bow congrats!

hornkiller.jpg

Nice stuff Mr amby!
Thank you for sharing your great buck with us.
You're right, updates like your are always the payoff for being part of MM.
Congratulations on a great trophy!
Zeke

That buck would have been a tough one to judge from long range. Had I seen that buck way out there I probably would have passed on him due to his short prongs. What a mistake that would be. If he had bigger cutters he would be B&C!
Congratulations amby!

NRA Life Member

Lefties are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

Great buck Amby congratulations! Great you had your son there with you he will never forget it.

Any more pictures? Would love to see a side view if you have it...

Horniac

and this is a perfect example of how you can totally botch a score from only a picture or two. I would have guessed him at 74" from your pics. Now video on the other hand I think you can do much better at estimating a score, but only a picture or two is tough. Congrats on a great speedgoat!!

+1
I just took a bunch of pics of antelope from my scouting trip and the bucks looked WAY better through the scope, with them moving around, than the still pics!
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom