How big is this Billie Goat?

Twobellyjake

I found this guy on the Beaver unit this weekend. How big is he and is he respectful?

4823img_2957.jpg

Respectable young billy.....given a couple of years, should be a good one. JMO. Would love to see those big old black glands behing the horns that those "old billies" usually have.

I am far from an expert on goats, but given the monster mulemanrack's wife killed last year, I gotta believe his assessment of that billy is spot on!
My thinking was he has nice potential, but pretty thin on top.

No one is saying these are small goats, just not monsters. Yes, the second goat looks smaller. Both are representative goats, but not record book contenders.
Bill

toughest animal to judge for sure... great looking goats.. going by the first picture i am thinking he is young.. i tried counting the rings and i got the base then 2 rings.. the top black growth it a year .. so i got 3 1/2 to 4 years old... maybe right at 7-8 inches long..

Does anyone have any idea how these both would score? Are they 40+ inches or 45+ inches? Would be tickled pink for a 50 inch goat but I would be pleased with a high 40's Billie.
I am planning to bow hunt the first weekend and see how this goes and if not pull out the rifle and close the deal by the next weekend or shortly there after.
Also if anyone knows of a big one back in a ways i'm not afraid to hike in a ways for Mr. Big!!!
Any help is much appreciated!

i would guess a score of 40 to 45 inches on them... getting a 50 inch goat would be a stud

I would say 40 is max. A 50 inch goat is dramatically different in appearance. You don't see book animals of any species on every hillside.
Bill

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-12 AT 05:21PM (MST)[p]That first Goat appears mature, but with mediocre genetics to his horns. I'd guess around 8" long x 4-7/8" bases. The distinctly humped snout indicates he's a mature Goat. The second Billy appears young, probably only a 2- or 3-year old...shorter face, straight snout, small horns.

Here is a 50-2/8" billy for comparison. Horn length 10" on both horns and 5-6/8 bases. Officially scored and entered from CO - taken last year. Pretty sure everybody is right on with your pics...

3753img_2526.jpg

Neither are very close to 50". Just avg nice Billies. Nothing wrong w them but not exceptional. The one is getting s nice hide.

I tend to disagree with the folks that think the billy in the top photo is young. A couple characteristics of "older" billies that stick out to me are the humped "Roman" nose and the faded white of the horns that extends about 2/3's of the way up. I think he is a more mature billy. However, he is not going to make 50 inches. I would not be suprised if he was in the neighborhood of 46 or 47 though.......very respectable on a lot of mountains.

for me the trophy judging of a Mtn goat ties in with coat quality. I would find the biggest goat with the best coat..IMO

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

I also disagree with that first goat being young. He is definitely a mature billy with the roman hump on his nose and large snout. Also, his large head may make his horns look proportionally small. Very hard to count rings, since a lot of times they are only 1/16" apart in their older years.

here is my goat from last year... horns are 9 7/8 long. score of a even 48... i didnt hold out for the long hair but got him sept 1 with short hair and i thought the hide was awesome

100_1257.jpg

Ive been up scouting also and the beav has some good goats ive seen a few in the 48-50 in mark but not alot. the top goat i would guess him pretty close to 41-43 inch. but he isnt a young goat like some have posted. i would guess that goat will be 6-7 years old or close to it. your bottom goat is a younger goat with great potential. look at how well his mass flows clear out to his tips. in a few years he will be a hell of a billy good luck on your maybe we will see you on the hill

www.hightopoutfitters.com

FYI the top Billie was killed on the opener and we had a chance to get a tape on him. He is 10 3/8 inches long and 6 1/8 inch basses. Just from this we think he's pushing 50 inches.

twobelly- congrats to the hunter on killing a true Monster.

Just curious if you were sure it's the same Goat as your first pic?

Here's a comparison photo showing the Goat in your first pic compared to a Goat that measured 9-7/8 long with 5-6/8 bases.

In either case, thanks for posting. I surely enjoy any and all Goat hunting stories and pics.

GoatComp.jpg

Jake, Did you Kill your Goat?? Im heading back into the unit next week. PM Me if you would like.

first off you dont get the roman nose and the necks those two top goats get at 3.5 years old. A big goat will make his horns look small. Id say both photos he took are of good goats in the and around the 46-47" mark. definite shooters. I however dont think they will go over 50 inches.

Can we update this forum so posting with a
phone is easier?

>Jake, Did you Kill your Goat??
>Im heading back into the
>unit next week. PM Me
>if you would like.
2803img_2980.jpg

Here is my billie. I have to say I was really disappointed! I thought I followed all the rules to shooting a big billie.
1. Look for a lone goat or double maybe even a triple could produce a big guy.
2. Look for mass on horns comparied to the eyes.
3. Eye to nose and ear measurements being: eye to nose= 8 inches and ears are 4 inches.
4. Look for a roman nose to be sure he's mature.
5. Look for size of body and cape color (yellow)

He has all of these qualifications and he's only 7 inches after falling off a couple of cliffs and only measures 5 1/4 at the basses. His ears are just over 3 inches long and his eye to nose is 6.5 inches. After falling I don't think he will go 40 inches now. Like I said he isn't that big and I thought I just shot a 45 + inch Billie and was very disappointed when I saw him up close. Oh well!
Hope you have better luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom