How do hunt dates move?

TheOneRidgeRunner

Dont know if this will make any sense, but here it goes.
I've read in different posts where people were talking about the ruts being later/earlier in the season. Although the hunts began on the same calendar day in different years.
My question is.... What makes this change? Is it a different calendar, lunar phase, or what??

I guess it depends on the state... For example Colorado structure is not set on a specific date to start, however most season date are set by wording that state something like this... The 3 rd season starts the firsts Saturday of November and will run a total of 9 days. So some year the first Saturday maybe the Nov. 2nd. And other years it might be the 7th. My example is not accurate but it gives you the idea.

In other ways you are correct about lunar phases and weather. How it all works, I am not sure. This year we saw a ton of true rut activity the 1 st week of November in out unit. Some years it is good other years the same time it is very slow. Moon phase, temps, pressure, all play a part....

>moon doesn't affect the rut
>flyingbrass
>cold dead hands
>NRA Life Member

***It's actually been studied and biologists claim that a full moon phase does effect the rut to some extent in certain years. The reason is that the estrus period of a doe is determined mostly by photoperiod, which is the amount of light entering their eye. In a particular area that usually doesn't vary by more than a few days from year to year and thus the moon phase in certain years is claimed to be what causes that variance.

You can say the moon phase doesn't affect the rut BUT during the dark of the moon, THEY RUT LONGER INTO DAYLIGHT, AND THAT'S WHEN I HUNT!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom