How do you guys choose an outfitter

Elkextreme

Question is how is an outfitter choosen, what do I look for, so far I've talked to 4 different outfitters and they are all good about selling themselves as being the best , most experienced, and successful. But I look at their pictures Of their clients harvest VERY nice. Price can be a factor, but I'm willing to pay a bit more for a good outfitter, so looks like I'm a bit trapped. Any suggestions out there?

Talk to clients that have taken animals, and those that have not. Use Google and check them out. Call Fish and Game and see if there are any complaints or problems reported.

About the best thing is getting a good reference from someone that has been with them.

LAST EDITED ON May-27-15 AT 06:06PM (MST)[p]And check all the hunting sites to see if anything is being reported on them

The advise above is right on. Don't assume that if you pay more, you are some how getting something that is better. Also, don't assume everyone harvests the size animals that are on their website. The best outfitted hunts I've had have been with small operations that are in it to provide a great experience, and not out to get the next monster animal for their website. Look for someone who will provide the type hunt that you want. I personally am not after the biggest, highest scoring animal at all costs, no matter what, but for someone else, that may be VERY important. I would rather have a really fun trip with a good chance of getting a "representative" animal. Anyway, that's worked out for me and I have some decent trophies and incredible memories. Good Luck !!!

Be careful with some of the pics on outfitters website. Not only could they be 3-10 years old, but they may not even belong to the outfitter. I have seen the same pictures on 3 different outfitter websites. Its comical...

Also calling references (that the outfitter recommends to you) who were successful on the hunt, wont tell you as much information as a client that was not successful.

First thing you need to do is figure out what kind of hunt you want. Some outfitters specialize in packing in, some have better amenities than others, if "size matters" you may need to look into outfitters that are regular in an area that has the potential you want. This will narrow down down your choices for you and will usually leave you with a choice that you will be happy with. I know this may seem very obvious but it help to figure out what type of hunt you want and narrow everything down. You could shoot a monster but still be left wanting if you the expirience of an back pack hunt is what you really wanted.

Always check with that states outfitter and guide association. They can verify they are correctly licensed and have the correct permits to be outfitting in the state. They have a lot of useful information.

I've been on 13 guided hunts and I wish I knew how to pick a good one. I've had some good ones and some bad ones.

All of the previous posts have good information. References from 10 years ago aren't of much value. The outfit could have new owners, different guides or in the case of private land they could have lost leases. Talk to references that are hunting the same species that you are. An outfitter could be good at deer and not at elk or vice versa. When you talk to a reference ask about how the other hunters in camp did. And he may have information about the week before or the week after he was there.

In cases where tags are available every year like, Wyoming general elk or New Mexico private land with land owner tags they should have repeat hunters. Try to talk to one of them. I know guys that go back to New Mexico year after year. But a lot of hunts that take preference points or Alaska/Canada moose, goat or sheep hunts are once in a lifetime hunts for most people and these outfitters aren't concerned about repeat clients. They just go to all the shows and get a new group of suckers by displaying impressive mounts and photos.

If you call an outfitter in July and they have openings in October that is probably a bad sign. Some good outfitters are booked two years in advance. But some bad outfitters are also booked two years in advance. If an outfitter goes to Dallas Safari Club, Elk Foundation convention, Eastern Hunt Show, SCI convention and a few local shows in order to sell their hunts that may be a bad sign. Although some of the good outfitters do go to a few shows some can sell their hunts without going to any. Outfitters that are paying $5,000 for a booth at the SCI convention are doing it for a reason. There will be more African and Canadian outfitters there than there will be Western US.

I have always thought that where you hunt is more important than who you hunt with. With a good outfitter in Colorado in an over the counter unit the success may be 20% on small bulls. A marginal outfitter on a New Mexico private ranch may be 70% success on 300 class bulls.

My 13th hunt was one of the worst ones I've had so that shows you how much I've learned.

Good luck with your search.

I recommend Antler Addiction Outfitters. AAO

I can honestly say I have never hunted with Richard Baca or his group. But I have followed him for years on Facebook and have met him. I haven't seen or heard of anyone that has been disappointed with the effort that crew puts into you having a successful and enjoyable hunt.

BHB

Is their picture in the post office?LOL
Check G&F website too and check for history,you'd be amazed.Check the O&G coalition for info.
I rarely post pictures anymore online or send them to many folks and the good outfitters I know only show me their cell shots and they are careful.
I was shocked to see a buck posted by another outfitter on his site than the one who guided the hunter a few years back,but I guess that is common now.
Checking local stores ,shops,motels,etc and talking to locals about them can give you some great biased opines too.
You can find low key quality reputable guides and outfitters too.
I know a few great ones and lots of the others..............

A couple of weeks ago, I narrowed my outfitters down to 2 outfitters. Both are well known, however my #1 was supposed to have sent me a contract but never received it.
My #2 choice was in my neck of the woods for a graduation party about a week and half ago, he called and asked if we could meet, in which my wife and I did. This man seemed like a straight up man very humble and respectful and brought a contract with him and his daughter good family /business man so he seems like.
Today my #1 guide called and asked if I had received his contract 2 weeks ago, I replied NO, he said oh I gave you a hell of a deal on a guided hunt. Which he did verbally but no contract. but he did not follow ip to ensure his contract had been received. No emails, texts or phone calls until today.
To me a person is only as good as their word. So I guess he has helped me make my decision who I'm going with after all.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom