How does the Utah General Deer Draw work...?

Slayer

Can someone explain or point me in the right direction to understand how the General Season Deer Draw works...? I have seen the descriptions on the DWR website, but it is not crystal clear to me. Below are some sample questions that I have about it (and I'm sure I'm not the only one).

When they look at your unit choices in the draw do they consider all 5 choices at the same time to see if a permit is available, or if you are out of luck on your 1st choice do you get thrown back in the pot and have to wait until they look at everyone else's 1st and 2nd choices first?

Are you assigned random numbers in the draw or is it strictly based on who has the most preference points?

What happens when the number of applicants exceed the number of available permits on the 0 preference point level?

Seems a little confusing to me... Thanks for guidance.

They look at only first choice for the first round of draws. The if there are tags left they go back. So limited entry hunts pretty much never need a second choice cause u won't draw it. But most put it on there just in cause. General deer is possible sometimes to draw a second choice. Usually when it's archery for 2nd choice.

A computer assigns u a random number for each point u have plus this years application. So someone with 0 points still has a chance to draw.
However half of the tags go to the high point holders. So if there are 6 tags for the unit. 3 of the tags will go to the people with most points in the case there are more than 3 high point holders they will be given a random number and whoever draws draws. The rest of the 3 tags will be at random for any point level.

For instance I drew a moose tag with one pt. that means I had to random numbers assigned to me. My point from the previous year and my current application.
I got extremely lucky to draw but things like that do happen. So it makes people with less points still have a chance at drawing yet people with more points or max have the best chances. I think it's one of the fairest systems out there cause let's face it if u can't draw a tag without max points most people wouldn't even put in for certain areas and that's not fair to up and coming hunters.

Hope that makes sense

For General Season Deer, they look at the highest point holders first. They look at all of the applicant's choices before moving to lower point applicants.

It essentially works out that a guy with 2 points can draw his 5th choice before a guy who applies with 1 point for the same unit as his first choice.

And the guy with 2 points earns another point because he was unsuccessful in drawing his 1st choice-- so he stays ahead of the lower point holders until he draws his 1st choice.

And once he earns a couple points he can carry others to tags-- Someone with 4 points can apply with 3 people who have 0 points. They average at 1 point and can draw 2nd-5th choice permits for lower demand units AND they all earn a point so they can stay at the head of the line in the future.

>For General Season Deer, they look
>at the highest point holders
>first. They look at
>all of the applicant's choices
>before moving to lower point
>applicants.
>
>It essentially works out that a
>guy with 2 points can
>draw his 5th choice before
>a guy who applies with
>1 point for the same
>unit as his first choice.
>
>
>And the guy with 2 points
>earns another point because he
>was unsuccessful in drawing his
>1st choice-- so he stays
>ahead of the lower point
>holders until he draws his
>1st choice.
>
>And once he earns a couple
>points he can carry others
>to tags-- Someone with 4
>points can apply with 3
>people who have 0 points.
>They average at 1 point
>and can draw 2nd-5th choice
>permits for lower demand units
>AND they all earn a
>point so they can stay
>at the head of the
>line in the future.

That^^^^^ my friend is true...and most don't realize the impact.
Zeke

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom