How dumb am I?

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
I think I might be one of the dumbest people (at least top 5) on this forum. I have put off buying a truck due to how much they cost. I finally decided to break down and buy something, and started looking.

I have a 2012 F-350 that has been great, 184k miles. I pull my toy hauler with it and really like it. I have a commuter truck has about 200k miles on the odometer. I decided that I really didn’t like replacing the diesel as the same truck I have now would be $80,000 new! I looked at an XLT crew cab (gas) and it’s around $60,000 (or more).

I finally think I’ve settled on a Tacoma; still low $40’s! I’ve looked at used but given the miles, they are bad (worse) in my opinion. Have any of you had sticker shock? I guess these dealers think I am a plumber from Altamont :oops:.

It’s just money

560EC7A2-BCCD-422A-B5FF-577F4F985826.jpeg

Question is will prices ever come down ever again?

We were in the process of buying new. Dealership advice was not to buy a covid year cause they see so many issues. So we decided to wait.

I keep waiting and they are not getting nfh: Yeah, I thought they would come down a few years back. It does not look like that it's going to happen....

I keep waiting and they are not getting nfh: Yeah, I thought they would come down a few years back. It does not look like that it's going to happen....

So it's either buy now at a high cost or in a couple years at an even higher rate. I would only buy new as long as you can get a low interest rate

So it's either buy now at a high cost or in a couple years at an even higher rate. I would only buy new as long as you can get a low interest rate
Plus, if you have a trade in, they'll typically give you more for it in todays market because there is a shortage of used vehicles. We traded in a 2012 Chevy that was probably worth $14,000 and they gave us $17,500.

I will trade my 2012 Nissan Frontier. I was surprised at what a few dealers were offering (estimate) over email. One dealer offered price $7,500 which surprised me. I asked him what the "Out the Door" price was. After making him explain it to me more than once, I finally got it out of him that taxes were not included in his so called "quote". Other dealers that have quoted a price included taxes. I believe I will get the truck in Idaho as they have what I am looking for and will give me a decent price for a trade. It's not $7,500 but still considerably less than the other offer.

I thought sales might slow a bit due to the interest rates but that does not seem to be the case. There are not a lot of trucks to choose from...

Vehicles Are ASS-KICKERS!

I Don't Care How You Do It!

I Drive Them In To Oblivion!

Not Sayin It's The Right Thing To do!

Every Once In A While I Get These Phone Calls Wanting To Sell Me An Extended Warranty On My Vehicles!

So I Lead Them On a Bit!

Damn Strait!

I'll Buy An Extended Warranty From You!

They Get All Excited For a Minute!

Then I Tell Them My Truck Has 374,000 Miles on it & I'm Damn Sure Interested In An Extended Warranty!

I Get an Instant CLICK!

If I Had Woodruffs Money That 2023 F-350 KING RANCH is what I'd Be Sportin!

I suspect prices will coming closer to reality in another year. People may start struggling financially along rates rising and that should curb the demand. Remember those pictures floating around of all the Ford pickups sitting in a lot in Kentucky, waiting for computer chips? I would think they’ll flood the dealer lots eventually. I noticed recently that Doug Smith has more dodge trucks on the lot than I’ve seen in two years. Here’s to hoping.

Really?

I Just Checked Doug Smiths Truck Inventory!

10-Ram 1500 Grocery Getters!

1-Ram 2500!

0- Ram 3500's (Real Trucks!)

I suspect prices will coming closer to reality in another year. People may start struggling financially along rates rising and that should curb the demand. Remember those pictures floating around of all the Ford pickups sitting in a lot in Kentucky, waiting for computer chips? I would think they’ll flood the dealer lots eventually. I noticed recently that Doug Smith has more dodge trucks on the lot than I’ve seen in two years. Here’s to hoping.

I was shopping for a new Tacoma until I saw the $5000 'market adjustment' mark up. I walked out.
I am finding them here at MSRP. I know that is not great, but okay I guess. Hard to believe one of these trucks are only a few thousand less than my Lariat was diesel F-350 was in 2012.

Really?

I Just Checked Doug Smiths Truck Inventory!

10-Ram 1500 Grocery Getters!

1-Ram 2500!

0- Ram 3500's (Real Trucks!)
That’s because you were looking for Rams! Call them what you will but they’re still a Dodge??
Saturday afternoon there were a pile of trucks, most I’ve seen in two years, saw them as I was coming off the freeway.

Not Arguing Shadow!

Weird They Don't Have Them On Their Website?

That’s because you were looking for Rams! Call them what you will but they’re still a Dodge??
Saturday afternoon there were a pile of trucks, most I’ve seen in two years, saw them as I was coming off the freeway.

Prices won't go back down but dealer incentives will start to increase as buying slows. I have taken advantage of these for many years over many trucks. 10-15k off MSRP has been the norm for me. I usually buy the previous years model and use one of the mail in cash offers along with it. I trade every 2-3 years.

Easy Tiger.....we bought a Mini Cooper last year. I was never a fan but when my wifes nail lady said she was selling it and it only had 21,000 miles on it, we were definitely interested. When the lady said not thousand....2100 HUNDRED miles on it. It's a 2019. Gave her cash that day.....$17K. 41 MPG on the freeway and the thing is quick as hell. I love that car.

Easy Tiger.....we bought a Mini Cooper last year. I was never a fan but when my wifes nail lady said she was selling it and it only had 21,000 miles on it, we were definitely interested. When the lady said not thousand....2100 HUNDRED miles on it. It's a 2019. Gave her cash that day.....$17K. 41 MPG on the freeway and the thing is quick as hell. I love that car.
My wife had a Cooper S about 12-13 years ago. Fastest go cart I have ever been in. Blast to drive.

A Mini Cooper? Oh dear…and just when I was starting to think you were one of us, you go and buy a prunie car? ?
J/K, I bet it’s a hoot to drive.

They don’t sit on the lot long at all. I buy a ton of new trucks and my dealer doesn’t expect to ever go back to having much inventory. Ford dealer.
Have heard similar in my neck of the woods. Local Ford dealer was told his F350 allotment for 2023 would be 17. Normal gets hundreds. He was told they are holding back on shipments to dealers due to abnormally high number of quality problems. Source of most problems have been due to sub-standard parts suppliers. C19 lockdowns forced manufactures to go in search of alternative parts suppliers. This lead to a breakdown in quality and high number of recalls and sky high warranty claims. He feels it is all part of the plan to push out dealerships and go to a website approach to sales.

Jives with what new CEO is saying. For the most part.

Wife is selling her Subaru (THANK GOD). It's still stupid out there- people making offers to buy without even looking at it. "I don't want to miss out on another one" is the line.

I think it will be a couple years before inventories catch up with demand. The manufacturers must be going nuts with COVID, followed by insane inflation.

Wife is selling her Subaru (THANK GOD). It's still stupid out there- people making offers to buy without even looking at it. "I don't want to miss out on another one" is the line.

I think it will be a couple years before inventories catch up with demand. The manufacturers must be going nuts with COVID, followed by insane inflation.
The Lesbarus are pretty popular. Was just in Calirado and they were everywhere.

I ordered the duramax….took a month to get. No deposit required for orders…..they said cancel if you change your mind, it would sell on the lot immediately….

We went to a friend who runs the Fleet division at our Ford dealership. Told him what we wanted and took him a few days to find it. He did a dealer trade and we were all set.
He told us the trick with financing that dealerships play and he didn't screw us. Got 2.9% and had it paid off in a few months anyway. Don't let dealerships charge you too much for financing FYI. They add 1% to what banks offer.

I always bring a cashier’s check from my credit union. Cuts the finance speech down to 2-3 mins and out of there.
We went to a friend who runs the Fleet division at our Ford dealership. Told him what we wanted and took him a few days to find it. He did a dealer trade and we were all set.
He told us the trick with financing that dealerships play and he didn't screw us. Got 2.9% and had it paid off in a few months anyway. Don't let dealerships charge you too much for financing FYI. They add 1% to what banks offer.

Ya!

I Know A Guy That Ordered One Right In The Middle of The NEW TRUCK SSHHIITT STORM!

Took 9 Months For It To Show Up!

They Called Him The Day It Came In & He Couldn't Go Get It Until The Following Day!

The Following Day He Goes Down To Get His Truck!

But When He Gets There He Can't See It Anywhere On The Lot!

So Now He's Thinking They've Got It Inside Giving It A Cleaning!

WRONG!

They Didn't Wanna Admit It But They Sold It To Another Guy The Day It Came In!

F'N Eh He Was PISSED!

No Paper Work Had Ever Been Signed!

No Down Payment!

No Contract Of Any Kind!

Then He Found Out Later The Guy That Bought It Offered The Dealer 5K More Than What My Friend was Quoted!

Just Goes To Show That Peoples Word Means Nothing Sometimes!

WAFJ!

For The Almighty Dollar!

I ordered the duramax….took a month to get. No deposit required for orders…..they said cancel if you change your mind, it would sell on the lot immediately….

Ya!

I Know A Guy That Ordered One Right In The Middle of The NEW TRUCK SSHHIITT STORM!

Took 9 Months For It To Show Up!

They Called Him The Day It Came In & He Couldn't Go Get It Until The Following Day!

The Following Day He Goes Down To Get His Truck!

But When He Gets There He Can't See It Anywhere On The Lot!

So Now He's Thinking They've Got It Inside Giving It A Cleaning!

WRONG!

They Didn't Wanna Admit It But They Sold It To Another Guy The Day It Came In!

F'N Eh He Was PISSED!

No Paper Work Had Ever Been Signed!

No Down Payment!

No Contract Of Any Kind!

Then He Found Out Later The Guy That Bought It Offered The Dealer 5K More Than What My Friend was Quoted!

Just Goes To Show That Peoples Word Means Nothing Sometimes!

WAFJ!

For The Almighty Dollar!
Car salesmen are like Real Estate Brokers....oh wait......

Nothing in writing means shame on the guy buying the truck. However, I would blast the hell out of the salesman I dealt with and let the public know just how I was treated. Gotta have some integrity if you wanna last in the sales biz.

My local Ford store is small. Same 3 salesmen have been there 8-10 years at least. All on salary. Sales model there is invoice on everything except Raptors now. Those went up to MSRP. They sell 150-200 new trucks a month. Great folks to deal with and ZERO BS. I am north of 20 new trucks from them for myself and my business. Never had a bad experience there.

They don’t sit on the lot long at all. I buy a ton of new trucks and my dealer doesn’t expect to ever go back to having much inventory. Ford dealer.
Ford is really going away from the overstocked-inventory business model and towards a custom order model. My last four vehicles were all custom ordered; they each took anywhere from 4-11 months to get here, but they're exactly what I want and I get them at a better price than I could've ever bought off the lot. Also, the dealer likes it because it helps their allocation and they never have any flooring costs. It's a win/win.

A good relationship with the dealer goes a long way.

Not a cummins!

22 years and never been in a repair shop!

22 years and never seen a check engine light!
Yes, those older cummins motors are hard to beat!
My mechanic does do quite a bit a work (at least he talks about it) on the newer ones (injectors).
Those older cummins start very well in the cold. They are definitely the most popular ranch truck up here.
With that said, The Powerstroke 6.7 is as good as it gets. Never any issues with it and it runs like the day I bought it new. My older 7.3 was decent but did not do nearly as good in the cold.
But, proving which truck is best is like me proving which gun/caliber is best :)

Still looking for a Tacoma. I have found that will work. However, they already have people on a waiting list so they have to ask them first. Go figure......

Agreed on the 6.7. Have the new high output 6.7 ordered. No telling when it will ever be built.
When you do, let us know. I would be really interested in seeing what you think about it. Wonder how the MPG is. Mine is about 19 MPG and 11 MPG pulling a full load.

Don't get tricked by the proclaimed mpg. I drove from the west coast to Wyoming and back and I was lightly packed not pulling anything. I got 14.3 on the way there and 14 on the way back. That's going 78 pretty much the whole way.

Pulling our 32 foot 5th wheel I get 8 mpg. It's never cheap having a truck and there is no best of both worlds.....ever.

My last tank on my 2022 F-350 was 21.5.

Going through Yellowstone at a steady speed in the 50s I got over 31mpg, but that's easily the best mileage I've seen.

20211002_215844.jpg
20221221_114755.jpg

Pulling doubles with my triple-slide fifth wheel and a SxS behind it, I get about 11mpg.

Fill it up and divide miles by gallons to fill. Guaranteed dash cluster is lying, never seen one that was right yet.

Fill it up and divide miles by gallons to fill. Guaranteed dash cluster is lying, never seen one that was right yet.
I use the fuelly app so I can see trends, the truck is typically within 1mpg. I do best with BP and Chevron diesel.

im more impressed with the 817 miles to empty it says. how big is that tank?
34 gallons, if I recall correctly.

I believe the "Miles to Empty" uses a longer-term average MPG to calculate that number than just a snapshot in time.

You can see I had just refueled when I took that picture, so if you divide 817 miles by 34 gallons, it averages out at 24mpg.

That seems to correlate with my average economy of 21mpg, but the fact that I had just driven through Yellowstone and had gotten over 31mpg so it had pulled the "Miles to Empty" number up a bit. As I mentioned above, the 31mpg has only happened once and was easily the best I've seen.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom