How far with a double lung

cabinfever

Very Active Member
I arrowed a buck last week and got a perfect double lung pass through.Both lungs were center punched! Broadhead was a 100 gr Magnus Stinger buzzcut. I was surprised the buck ran uphill 160 yards before expiring. Only a small speck of blood where the arrow passed through.

How far have you had a double lunged animal go before expiring?

I understand the broadhead did the job, however, in your experience, what broadheads do you think leave the biggest blood trails, or should I say the shortest blood trails?

10 point whitetail went over 500 yards across a flat corn field.

~Jason Peterson

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."~Jack Kerouac

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-13 AT 09:43PM (MST)[p]Double lung 2 antelope and some whitetails. All less than 40 yards. I use a Crimson talon broadhead. Leaves a nasty entry and exit hole and wont allow the animal to clot.

Ever since I switch to crimson talon broadheads I have harvested around 8 animals and nothing has gone further than 40 yards. But the down side is the company no longer exist {at least no website} so I bought a bunch off ebay to last me 10 years.

But there are a lot of good broadheads. I just found something that works for me kinda like selecting a truck

I shot a bull elk last year with a Snuffer ss 100gn. double lung and watched him go upside down within 30 - 40 yards.

Stingers are great broadheads and I have killed several animals with them. That being said most of the blood trail were weak at best. Maybe try a different head?

I reposted this from bowhunter223 link. Makes a lot of sense and coincides with this buck making it 160 yards with a poor blood trail.

"Speaking as a medical surgical nurse let me say, ahh NO, that is not why doctors use straight edged scapels. They use them because that's what cuts flesh better. Serrations have a tendency to tear as well as cut flesh. And before you think that is a good thing when it comes to deer, think again. The more you tear, crush or rip flesh the more enzymes you release into the blood stream that actually recruit the bodies clotting factors to the site. Jagged rough cuts also leave pockets where blood can pool and they can cause blood to run an indirect course to leak out. A clean, uninterupted, surgically sharp slice through an animal will consistently product wounds that bleed well and keep bleeding the longest. But hey the serrations do look cool and that goes a long way towards selling products these days.

That said, both will kill a deer and produce enough blood for you to find it, if you put the arrow where you should."

I agree with Cabinfever. I shot a buck with 4 blade muzzy and had a great blood trail 80 yards to the buck. I heard the death roll or crash about 10 seconds after I shot him. I have had 2 buck go less than 20 yards with a right side quarter away shot.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom