How good are Vortex Optics

bayside

So, I'm looking to seriously upgrade optics for next year. My question is should I just bite the bullet and pay for swarovski, or are vortex comparable?

I would try the Razor HD by Vortex; Excellent optics for the price and half the price of Swarovski.
I have the Viper HD Binos 10 x 42 and they are very good too. They beat any Bushnell, Leupold, or Nikon in the same price range. If you hike alot, and glass alot; then you don't want a heavy pair of binos! The Razor and Vipers are super lite. Yes Swarovski are still one of the best binos out there, and yeah maybe if you hunt a ton, or guide, then its probably worth it.

I have a Vortex Skyline ED spotting scope (they don't make them anymore) I love it! I have looked through swaro optics and they are a little better but I don't think that its worth the difference. My Skyline retailed for $900 or so and a new, comparable swarovski model would be around $3000. I can't spend the extra $2000 to get something that is just a little better. The only difference that I have seen is that my spotter is not crystal clear at full focus (60x) With the swaro that is not a problem. I can get to 50x without any problem but the 60x is just not perfect at long distances. Here is a specific example, I couldn't tell if a bedded deer was a spike at the edge of a mahogany thicket (brush all around it's head) during the middle of the day (heat waves were too bad, swaro may not have been any better) My little brother had to sneak closer to be able to tell. (it was a buck and it was his fist deer). To me the extra quality you would get at the top edge is not worth $2000, mostly because I can't afford it. If I had a ton of money, maybe, but even then I still may not spring for the Swarovski.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-12 AT 00:26AM (MST)[p]You should gulp the bullet and do it right the first time. If you want a Toyota then don't buy a Nissan. Look at the post regarding Kiabab and those are Vortex's top of the line bino. When is the last time [if ever] have you read a post about an unhappy Swarovski owner?? Look at it this way 5 years from now your bino/scope will still be worth three-fourths of the retail price. Used Vortex are a dime a dozen. And I have owned both brands. To compare the two isn't even apples to apples IMO.

I have never understood why a guy will spend $1500 on a rifle or bow, 5K-15K on a quad/sidexside, 50K on a diesel truck, 6K in wheels, and then cheat themselves by going with lower quality optics?? It is the most important piece of equipment a hunter uses.

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-12
>AT 00:26?AM (MST)

>
>You should gulp the bullet and
>do it right the first
>time. If you want
>a Toyota then don't buy
>a Nissan. Look at
>the post regarding Kiabab and
>those are Vortex's top of
>the line bino. When
>is the last time [if
>ever] have you read a
>post about an unhappy Swarovski
>owner?? Look at it
>this way 5 years from
>now your bino/scope will still
>be worth three-fourths of the
>retail price. Used Vortex
>are a dime a dozen.
> And I have owned
>both brands. To compare
>the two isn't even apples
>to apples IMO.
>
>I have never understood why a
>guy will spend $1500 on
>a rifle or bow, 5K-15K
>on a quad/sidexside, 50K on
>a diesel truck, 6K in
>wheels, and then cheat themselves
>by going with lower quality
>optics?? It is the
>most important piece of equipment
>a hunter uses.
>

Very well said.I think if people have to compare to Swarovski all the time there is a reason for it. If someone said almost as good as Vortex that would be another story.

Maybe we should clarify what optics you are looking at buying. Spotting scope or Binos. If it is a spotting scope, I still say there is no need to buy a swaro, lecia, etc. There may be an exception if you primarily hunt by glassing but not for the average hunter. A top end spotting scope is only to impress people.

Binos are another story, I would definitely go with the best that you can afford. Swaro, lecia, zeiss can't go wrong, but high end bruntons, steiners, and kowas are close (in fact I prefer my steiner peregrine HDs to my friend's set of swarovskis). I wouldn't drop down to the leupold, vortex, etc. level for binoculars, you lose too much even though they are cheaper.

I posted this on another site, the only way people can think Vortex are close is because they can't judge glass.

The reason people say that their binoc's (non Swaro, leica, or Zeiss) is because they can't properly judge glass.

To judge glass, the first test is to map the glass. Pick an object with a lot of detail and focus on it, from there move your glass up/down and left and right. Notice the point where the distortion start, on the cheap glass about up to 40% of the lense will be blurry.

Why does this matter? Imagine hunting with no peripheral vision, when you use cheap bino's you loose it. Also the distortion causes headaches and eye fatigue over time.. Look though a pair of nikons or vortex's all day and you will have a headache and eye strain.

Next look at the color, good color distinction allows you to pick the brown of a mule deer out of a dirt patch of sage, or an ear tip out in a clear cut.

Also scan with the binos and you'll notice distortion when you do that as well.

Most of them look good in the center but fail in the details.

Minox HG BR's are the only glass I've ever looked through that comes close. In my eyes they out did Zeiss and were every bit as good or better than Swaro Slc's. Never looked thru Leica so no idea there. In half priced glass I wouldn't consider anything else but Minox made in Germany.

just my .02

>I posted this on another site,
>the only way people can
>think Vortex are close is
>because they can't judge glass.
>
>
>The reason people say that their
>binoc's (non Swaro, leica, or
>Zeiss) is because they can't
>properly judge glass.
>
>To judge glass, the first test
>is to map the glass.
>Pick an object with a
>lot of detail and focus
>on it, from there move
>your glass up/down and left
>and right. Notice the point
>where the distortion start, on
>the cheap glass about up
>to 40% of the lense
>will be blurry.
>
>Why does this matter? Imagine hunting
>with no peripheral vision, when
>you use cheap bino's you
>loose it. Also the distortion
>causes headaches and eye fatigue
>over time.. Look though a
>pair of nikons or vortex's
>all day and you will
>have a headache and eye
>strain.
>
>Next look at the color, good
>color distinction allows you to
>pick the brown of a
>mule deer out of a
>dirt patch of sage, or
>an ear tip out in
>a clear cut.
>
>Also scan with the binos and
>you'll notice distortion when you
>do that as well.
>
>Most of them look good in
>the center but fail in
>the details.

You have apparantly not looked through a pair of high end Vortex such as the Razor spotters and rifle scopes or the new Viper HD binos. I used own Swarovski. Used them extensively while guiding. I use all Vortex now. Absolute fantastic glass. I totally understand the people that don't want anything to ruin their justification for spending $3000 on a spotter or $2000 on a pair of binos. I had to come to that realization myself. I use their rifle scopes on my competition rifles as well as my hunting rifles now and I don't regret the move for one second. Of course, everyone has an oppionion and this is mine so take it for what it's worth. If you end up going the Vortex route, you won't be disappointed.

It's always an adventure!!!

I have, the vipers have a ton of distortion on the edges.

I haven't looked through the spotting scopes or rifle scopes muh though.

Map your glass and you'll quickly see the difference.

Yeah, Viper HD has too much edge distortion. You probably won't notice it when first looking at it. Once you have compared them to better glass, you will notice what Viper cannot deliver. I still cannot understand why people spent a grand on Vortex binoculars while Zeiss, Meopta has better glasses for the same price range

As far as binos there is absolutley no reason to spend anywhere near $1000 on a vortex bino when you can have a light use or demo Zeiss or Swaro for around the same price.

In the $500 and up range save your money and get a Zeiss conquest HD or Meopta meostar HD instead of a $550 viper hd. Spending $500 on a bino like the viper HD is a waste of $500 IMO, I would rather spend more for something better or if not then just buy a decent cheap bino like a monarch ect.

The Vortex razor hd spotter though is in its own nitch in its $1400 range and is a good spotter for the money.

dont get caught up in the vortex hype, they are alright but not close to the good ones.i thought i needed the vipers hd,find my self using the leupold pinnacles that i already had more than the vipers

i wish i would have bought swaros when i was younger, i would have more big heads one the wall. you can see so much better an pick out stuff in brush better.im 58 wish i had them in my 30s. can't cover as much ground now.now eyes not as good as when i was younger.i see stuff now other's can't see.go for them an never look back you will be glad you did.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-12 AT 01:28AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-12 AT 01:11?AM (MST)

i did alot of research on optics and personally compared the two side by side. i started out with a cheap pair of orions, upgraded to leica geovids. looked through my cousins el swaros and decided to upgrade. i literally did hours of glassing through swaro and vortex. the difference to the untrained eye may be minimal, but with actual use you will find swarovski to be the best optical decision you can make for hunting. while glassing hillsides with the razor hd and el binos day after day i found myself naturally going for the swaros at low light. i would scan hillsides first with both and found that i always found that i never missed deer with the swaros compared to the vortex. as far as the spotting scopes are concerned. same story. if someone wants to tell you that theres no difference in high end spotters i highly disagree. with swaro you get more light intake sharper edge to edge clarity and i actually find myself glassing with my spotter due to such a wide field of view. having these optics is as if i was once blind and now have the beauty of full vision. there isnt a better feeling in the world! i went ahead with a huge investment and purchased a pair of EL range 10x42 and the new modular 95mm 30-70 swarovski spotter. though pricey it was the best 6500 dollars i have ever spent. the quality of my glassing time is unbelievable. at the low light hours you gain a good 5 to 10 minutes of glassing time due to exceptional light intake, perfect color and edge to edge crystal clarity if your making an investment to last a lifetime, go with swarovski
"I've hunted almost every day of my life, The rest have been wasted"

Interesting how some say others have to justify spending more on alpha glass. It could be some need to justify settling for less as well. Get the best you can afford. Look through as many different binos/scopes as you can. There are other small details such as eye relief and ergonomics that may play into your decisions. I own a pair of Swarovski binos (ELs), as well as Nikon ED50 and a Vortex Nomad spotters. I've no regrets on any of the purchases. The binos are just fantastic. The Nikon is high quality. Because of the size of the objective it doesn't have the really low light gathering ability that would be ideal but was purchased for compactness and weight. The Nomad is great glass for the money. Clearly not the quality of glass as the other two, but it is not sold as being in the same class.

A few years ago, when shopping for binos, I had settled in my mind on Leica. I compared Leica, Swarovski, Cabela's Euros, Leupold, and Nikon. I didn't have access to Vortex and some other brands or would have compared them as well. Leica and Swarovski seemed pretty much the same to me as far as optical quality was concerned. The others were great glass, but not close to the other two. I went with the Swaros because they were just more comfortable for my eyes and hands.

I own one Vortex optic, a Viper HS riflescope. I am supremely happy with it, primarily the ease of use and the adjustments when I am shooting over 200 yards. The optical clarity is very mediocre though. This is fine on a rifle scope as I only have to see well enough to place the crosshairs on the critter, but it needs to hit where I am aiming, thich it does well.

I have two Zeiss riflescopes that are MUCH clearer, both mid-level conquests. My 6.5x20 is the clearest glass I can imagine.

I have 3 Swaro bino's and 1 Spotter and they are both clear and well built. Swaro's warranty and customer service set's it above all others when combined with it's quality as Leica and Zeiss can match here.

So I think Vortex has a solid nitch, they clearly focus on what hunters need: good value and great features, but they are a good GMC or Toyota, but no where near the Mercedes/BMW of optics world.

If you want the best and something you can literally plan to hand down to the next generation, go with Swaro...

We all have our opinions on optics, a lot of good ones have been shared so far. Let me add mine.

For me it's really hard to compare optics to each other side by side. Not saying it can't be done, but I think my eyes try and adjust/compensate when switching from one to another. Let me give you an example.

A few years ago when I first decided to spend more than $100 dollars for a pair of binoculars I upgraded my Bushnells for some Minox HG. I bought the Minox sight unseen from cameraland at their recommendation. I was disappointed at first as I was having a hard time seeing any difference. I guess I thought at $400 more in price the difference would be clear and jump out at me, it did not.

It wasn't until I had used the Minox for a couple of months that the difference became very clear. I had left my Minox binoculars at my parents, so I grabbed my Bushnells as I headed out in the hills. With the first look through those Bushnells in a couple of months I could not belive that I was ever able to use them in the first place. The difference was definitely now noticeable.

I now own Swarovski EL and am heck of impressed with them. The down side is that they make looking through anything else a chore.

Vortex does make some good optics at a price that is more reasonable for most. I've owned some Vortex riflescopes and spotters and have been impressed, but up until I bit the bullet and upgraded my bino's and spotter to Swarovski I was always left yearning for more.

Buy once cry once as they say. The nice thing is is that you can find used Swarovski optics at a good price.

I have a nomad spotter, the only complaint's I have is at it's highest zoom setting you cannot get a clear focused picture to assess the details of animal in most and especially low light settings. In addition the field of view is comprimised near the edges.RIP Lil Bro' "Huntnfever"

> I have a nomad spotter,
>the only complaint's I have
>is at it's highest zoom
>setting you cannot get a
>clear focused picture to assess
>the details of animal in
>most and especially low
>light settings. In addition the
>field of view is comprimised
>near the edges.

Zoom sucks, edge clarity sucks, light gathering ability sucks. What more could you want?..

<Zoom sucks, edge clarity sucks, light gathering ability sucks. What more could you want?..>

I would love to have the german glass... friends have it.. to me the comparision of the big 3 to the other's is like taking Pamela Anderson to the club but going home with Roseann Barr. Not quite the same quality..

But for now unless it is on it's highest zoom it does what I need it to do find and spot game, then work in closer. I knew when buying it that it was a good but not oustanding mid $$ range scope.

RIP Lil Bro' "Huntnfever"

To answer your question on how good vortex optics are is there good. Ive owend both swaro and vortex binos and spotters. This is just me but i tell everyone if you are the guy who gets out a couple weeks a year at hunting season time dont waste your money on expensive swaros because you WILL not tell the difference if your out 4 months out of the year you will tell the difference i can look through all my swaros for hours where my eyes feel like there gona come out of my head with my vortex. This is just my 2 cents and i recentley sold my vortex setup to my buddy who said theres no difference and where both happy

>To answer your question on how
>good vortex optics are is
>there good. Ive owend both
>swaro and vortex binos and
>spotters. This is just me
>but i tell everyone if
>you are the guy who
>gets out a couple weeks
>a year at hunting season
>time dont waste your money
>on expensive swaros because you
>WILL not tell the difference
>if your out 4 months
>out of the year you
>will tell the difference i
>can look through all my
>swaros for hours where my
>eyes feel like there gona
>come out of my head
>with my vortex. This is
>just my 2 cents and
>i recentley sold my vortex
>setup to my buddy who
>said theres no difference and
>where both happy

And I believe, if a guy has limited time off work/limited time in the field, he better have the best equipment available to make the most of his precious time.

depends on what you can afford. id say the razor top of line vortex are amazing. however probably one notch below the swaros. if you have the money id say swaro. But i am a big vortex fan and although i dont regret buying my vortex never have never will, i wish i could have got the razors. That will be my next purchase vortex razor hd binos, and razor spotting scope. I would say buy the best optics you have the money for, yes vortex will put a smile on your face id suggest getting the razor hd binos and spotter and it will be around 2700-2900 but you will have a complete package of awesome optics, you could only buy 1 swarovski for that(new) or try to find a nice set of used swaro.

you will be happy with either one. best thing to do is see if you can find someone that has both adn compare them in low light.

WillyOutlaw's test is dead on.

I have a pair of Swaros and vortex.
There definitely is a difference. It all comes down to what you can afford and what you are willing to give up for the extra money.

I bought my son a set for his b-day. I compared the vortex across the board with everything in IT'S price range. I was surprised it was better then Leupold. (And I own a pile of Leupold scopes). We bought the Vortex for him. What I don't like is the objective caps dont stay on very well (fitment sucks) but they are good glass compared to others at that price. Yes Swarovski is the bomb(and is what I use) but comparing apples to apples you wont be unhappy for the price you'll pay.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-12 AT 09:50AM (MST)[p]>depends on what you can afford.
>id say the razor top
>of line vortex are amazing.
>however probably one notch below
>the swaros. if you have
>the money id say swaro.
>But i am a big
>vortex fan and although i
>dont regret buying my vortex
>never have never will, i
>wish i could have got
>the razors. That will be
>my next purchase vortex razor
>hd binos, and razor spotting
>scope. I would say buy
>the best optics you have
>the money for, yes vortex
>will put a smile on
>your face id suggest getting
>the razor hd binos and
>spotter and it will be
>around 2700-2900 but you will
>have a complete package of
>awesome optics, you could only
>buy 1 swarovski for that(new)
>or try to find a
>nice set of used swaro.
>
>
>you will be happy with either
>one. best thing to do
>is see if you can
>find someone that has both
>adn compare them in low
>light.

I disagree, look at the Mepotas, Minox, Kowas, or even the new EDG 7 nikons at that price point. I work in the optics industry and have tested most the brands side by side. The majority of the Asian glass is junk. There is not the clarity on the edges or resolution on the Japanese glass (except maybe the High end EDG nikon glass)

If you are going to spend more than an hour a day looking through your glass, I feel its imparitive to have the best glass out there. I personally would reccomend saving your money to buy Swaro's, Leicas, or high end zeiss. The low end Zeiss are severly lacking IMHO.

i have the swaros and if i loose them tomorrow it will be the 1st thing i buy again.
my dad has the new hd vortex for 1200. i still havnt looked through them to compare

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom