How heavy is your tripod?

Rob

anyone using a lightweight tripod that is stable enough for your spotter with some wind and tall enough that you can use it while sitting or kneeling? I've looked at some tripods and they all seem to be 3 lbs or more. There are lighter ones but they don't feel too sturdy.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-11 AT 09:53PM (MST)[p]I have a Manfrotto that is very light,maybe a little over a pound if that. And can be used standing,tho I rarely do. I just lower it down in the wind,I'm as likely to move around as the tripod in heavy wind.I opted for very light weight with my Alpen spotter and very glad I did, great backpack set up.

For those with a lower budget I use the Vortex High Country. It is 2lbs with the included head. I wouldn't call it overly steady, but the more wind there is the lower I go. I use this with both a 3Lb Swaro spotter and a 1.5Lb Bushnell Elite. It has a hook and I fill a sock out of my pack with rocks to weigh it down. The legs are fragile and bend easily, as I found the hard way. At $75 it is a very good option.

So I checked out the Sliks online and they are light but it looks like those advertised weights do not include the head. Plus they are rather spendy.

I've also looked at the Vortex and it looks like a good value, but I prefer a pan and tilt head as opposed to a ball type head. Maybe I will consider one at some point.

Right now I have a Nikon full size tripod with a pan and tilt head. It weighs 2lbs 15oz. Not sure yet if I'm willing to spend $200 to drop a pound or so in weight.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-11 AT 11:12AM (MST)[p]Rob, Check this set up out. The best thing that I could find for the money. I use this setup for my Swarosvski 60 and have used the 80 on it as well, never have once had a problem in the wind or anything else. My total weight is just a little over 1 pound I think, either way it is light as can be and fits in my pack awesome. Well worth the money!!!!!!!!!! You will not regret it. If you are in the SLC Area shoot me a pm And i will let you look at it to see if it is something that may work for your set up.

My total cost was $39.95 for the head and $195 for the tripod.

6063capture.jpg

45052.jpg

YOUR FAT!! DON'T TRY AND SUGAR COAT IT OR YOU WILL EAT THAT TOO!!

In my search for the perfect tripod I landed on the Slik 613cf as well. But unfortunately they don't make it any more. It's been replaced by the 624cf which weighs 3oz more but still reaches the same height.

I went with the 634cf because its much taller for not much more weight.

I bought the Promaster T525P carbon tripod after comparing it to the Outdoorsmans and others.
Compared to the Outdoorsmans, it is lighter at 2 lbs, 3 oz, shorter folded length at 14 3/16", taller extended height, quieter because it is carbon and not one metal pipe inside another(legs), has a weight hook, and handles a heavy spotter.

Another +1 for the Vortex high country if you are on a budget. I got one and it weighs in at 2lbs. I do most of my glassing sitting on the side of a mountain and for that it is perfect. Its only 14" tall which is a plus because it takes up less room, and at 2lbs you cannot complain for $79. word to the wise like a gentleman above said... i wouldnt put to much faith in operating at full extension.

I use a Slik carbon fiber with a Jim White head and bogen quick release. I think the head and quick release weigh more than the tripod but it is a good light setup.

LAST EDITED ON May-22-11 AT 10:03PM (MST)[p]+1 on the outdoorsman. My set up ran $700, but it is rock steady in wind. I love the trigger grip and the dual mount system. There are lighter tripods (by a little), but none more bulletproof.

ETA: 2.8 pounds (it is more if I am using the dual mount)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom