How I Blew Up My New Mathews

M

Montanahunter

I eagerly awaited the arrival of my new squeeze - a Mathews Ovation 32" left hand. When it came in I picked it up from the dealer along with a new Trophy Taker rest, went home set the rest to center shot, nocking point level, peep in place and out to shoot I went. 30 or 40 shots later the bow is sighted in arrows are flying straight so I head in the house to attatch the arrow cradle that came with my new rest to the bow shelf. I take off my shoes and go inside ,now you might be wondering what the hell this has to do with any thing but just wait. I sat down on the front entry bench got that arrow cradle just right then while still seated bow canted about 45 degrees I start drawing an arrow back to see if it will lay back in the cradle when I let down. Just before full draw KA-POW shell shcked with parts flying around the room my foot is telling me not all is well. Socks getting wet, the little lady hollers what the hell was that and meekly I tell her that my new bow just blew up. The whipping that bows cable gave my foot would have made Sadam proud.
Here is what I think happend, drawing the bow from an awkward angle the riser torqued enough that the string rolled off the cam causing it to dry fire. 32" draw coupled with a long riser that looks like swiss cheese and mabe not pulling straight back might have done the trick. What do you guys think? Have you heard of this happening before? The cam is a little wobbily but that may have happend during the wreck.

Sounds like Mathew himself should hand deliver your new bow! What happened to your foot? My brother had a Browning Nomad blow up in 1983 or so. It seems like the limb bolt pulled out of the riser. I remember the limb hit him in the forehead, the string somehow wrapped around his neck. Knocked his ass out. My dad had to cut the string off of him. We drove to Morgan, the rep was very apologetic to say the least. He got a new bow and a few other peace offerings. Talk about product liability!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-04 AT 08:09AM (MST)[p]Since the newest "shorter is better" craze, I've seen quite a few bows come in like that. Your summary is probably correct as to why it occurred. Furthermore, the cam was probably damaged during this accident, as the bow performed well prior to. Glad you weren't seriously hurt. Looks like you'll be making a trip back to the pro-shop for some repairs. Good luck and hope you're flinging some sticks soon.

BOHNTR )))------------->

that sucks man. I bought a bowtech mighty might in 2001. I was really excited and couldnt wait to shoot it. Got home set up a target at 20 yards pulled her back and snap. String broke got 6 stitches in my arm and a big a** welt across my face. If i was you I would call mathews and tell them where to put it then make them give you a better and more expensive bow.

I've witnessed similar results while checking bow weight on a pull down scale. Guys will torque the riser while pulling down and the string/cables will come untracked. Fortunately, in these situations no bow damage occurred because the tester had a good hold of the riser and the string was secure in the scale. Still quite an eyeopener. Always use open hands while using a bow scale!

Seen such a thing happen in a tree stand.
nearly kicked the guy out of the tree,
the arrrow came back after it jumped off the rest and spun out and cut the top side of his forearm to the bone.
had to tie a turnicat using his string off his bow and rush him to the hospital.
I had a string pop, it scared the hell out of me,
fortunatly only blew out by cable slide sleave.
but for the rest of the season i was woundering would the rest go.
and yes i just got my insurance back I did save money by going thru guyco.

Hey I posted earlier but ive got another one. My cousin turned 14 last year and for christmas his moma and dad got him a new pse nova. He took it to his uncle to turn it down so he could pull it back he turned it down all the way and put the bow scale on the string. When he went to pull it back both of the limbs pulled out because he had turned it down way to far it was pretty funny cause it scared the crap out of him, he thought he had just broke my cousins new bow.

Last year I was out shooting the day before I went on a javelina hunt and had a string break on me. The top limb shot off and hit the roof of the shooting range and came back and hit me on the arm. So I ended up with a nice welt and a big scrape on my arm. Under the roof it sounded like a bomb went off. Scared the crap out of me. I don't think I'll wait as long to replace my string this time.

The "wonderful" roller guard may have also played a part in it. I've heard of lots of problems caused by the strings coming out of the rollers.

I bought my son a new Alpine extreme impact the other day . before I gave it to him I drew the bow and heard a strange noise. I looked and looked but couldn't figure out the srange sound. So me being about as sharp as a bowling ball, I decide the noise is coming from the cam and to get a better listen I had better turn the bow upside down and get that cam a little closer to my ear and then draw. well I did and saw that one of the string anchors was rubbing on the riser as the cam rotated. so I let off slowly, and kapowy $hit starts flying everwhere. Well the bow is fixed but at the odd angle the string jumped the track and nocked the dog water out of me, any way don't pull the string at odd angles or it will jump off the cam track. Steve

I saw a new Mathews LX do the same thing. Blew up right in the guys hand. Better to go with a bowtec...

jeremy

Be thankfull that it sounds like your ego suffered the most injurry. I think it would be of the utmost interest to just about everybody, if you will please post after all is said and done, how well Mathews stood behind their bow.

I also once witnessed as it was being drawn back, a bow literally explode about six feet away from me, peices and parts flew everywhere!!!

After the parts and explatives ceased flying about the room, I came to discover it was a PSE bow that the owner had the original factory suplied limbs replaced with a new set. Thankfully all he hurt besides his pride was the inside of his forearm, where he had a welt that was rapidly changing from the prettiest shade of bright red to a lovely shade of blackish-blue.

ARTJR338:

That must have been the incident where PSE's name began........(P)arts (S)cattered (E)verywhere. :) Oh yeah, welcome to the archery section of MonsterMuleys!

BOHNTR )))----------->

I couldn't help laughing when I saw this post. It just happens that last night I got home from the range and had a wild hair to build some new arrows I recently recieved. I was reading the Gold Tip package and it said cut shaft 2" ahead of forks at full draw. So I drew back an arrow and made a visual mark to get me close, then let down and marked it with a grease pencil. I drew back again to confirm my mark, it looked good, but as I let off, the string slipped out of my hand and off the arrow went. Without a tip it went through a 2x8 floor joist above the garage floor, (just missing my wifes land rover by a few feet. Wouldn't that have been a fun argumnet.
This isn;t the first mis release I've had. When I was much younger, I knocked and arrow and drew back with my new release. I aimed safely at my gun cabinet, and you guessed it, accidently touched one off. It stopped after it went through the door and hit the back wall. I crack up when people ask, "what's that hole from"......

By the way, I shoot a Matthew's LX....It has been a dream to shoot and set-up.

(Now all you thrid graders can tell me that I shoulk have bought a chevy, oops I mean , hoyt, bow tech etc.)

0info4fAnimation.GIF

Take er easy
five_point_buck *

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom