How Is the NM Deer heard Looking?

BuckBuster

It seems like the deer hunting has been kinda tough this year. Are the deer numbers down? From reading MM post it looks like the areas that usually have held large numbers of deer seem to be hurting. I went on a youth hunt to 2b in Oct. and was surprised at the low numbers of deer we saw. Could be migration. I have a tag in 30 for the Jan. hunt which usually has an abundance of deer. Reading these posts it looks like it's been tough down there too.

Poor deer management, extreme drought, too many tags....

Whichever one you want to blame I'm sure they all factor in. The area I know very well and have hunted for yrs (unit 21) is struggling. Deer are few and far between and I've seen nothing but tiny tiny forkies...barely distinguishable forkies this year on scouting trips.

34's deer population didn't look too grand either.

I have a few friends that know unit 30 fairly well. Same story in that part of the state. Dry Dry Dry, not seeing many deer.

All in all I bet they've moved to food and water locations and are still ok. My thought is that the fawn crop over the next yr or so may be pretty bad...which will make things worse. Who knows though...i'm no biologist so this is all just speculation.

we hunted 30 for the muzzleloader hunt and it was pretty bad. we did get a little forky, but we only saw 2 bucks both forkers

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom