How many gallons of gas???

Bocephus

Went for a ride last night on a local unit. I went because I was bored and wanted to see how much pressure was really on the rifle hunt. It's been 25 years since I have tagged along on the general rifle hunt. The thought occurred to me, how many gallons of gas do all you rifle hunters burn driving every two track in the unit you hunt? From what I saw, you all only need one pair of boots in a lifetime that only get wear and tear going from the brake to the gas and occasionally opening a gate. oh ya and from the snack aisle at the gas station back to the truck. Over or under 1000 gallons if you hunt the full hunt??? Might bet is over. Just curious

My son and I spent the last 4 days chasing general bucks (boot leather style) so we spent just enough gas for the wheelers to get us to trail heads, maybe 5 gallons. I hear some folks use fancy electric bikes to get them where they want to go as well! :)
The reality is, there are plenty of ways to enjoy an adventure, and if driving a rig around is how you choose to do it, then so be it.
My observation, during our 4 days was, most hunters burning petrol where older folks who can't get around, or guys with kids in tow, which is way better than staying home and playing video games. If all road hunters were burning up boots instead of gas, then where I go wouldn't be so great.
So maybe we just buy stock in Halliburton! :) :)

Haha I can vouch for the validity of your post. I did watch an old fart grease a two point from the road. I ran into them on my way out and "it was the only buck they had seen all hunt." You are right to each their own, and that's what is great we can all hunt how we want the way we want. I hope you and Spence had fun!

PS dont let the cat out of the bag on ebikes, the ethics police will find a way to regulate them as unethical/unfair advantage.

So I tend to agree that there is excessive pressure around roads. However, I am completely fine with this hunting behavior as it benefits my style of ?boots on the mountain hunting?

But, there are many reasons why folks hunt from the road. Some legit reasons are health and older age. I'd be happy to road hunt from a truck or wheeler at the age of 80. Hoping I am still alive at that age to attempt it!

It seems like the road hunters get luckier than me and my leather hunting. Maybe I need to switch. seriously

Driving around and glassing can be a lot more effective than hiking in somewhere. Especially if you're new to the unit and are not sure where to hike in at. It's a good idea to drive around glass and figure out where the deer are before you take off hiking.

In all seriousness I hope everybody had a fun safe hunt regardless of how you hunted. I've heard it was the best year in a long time to it was terrible. Hopefully either way it was fun!

Bocephus my nephew can't thank your dad enough on his recent adventures. He put them on the animals. They had to get a loan on the 123 barrels of fuel they went through before he came down. lol

Who cares at least they don't crowd the rest of the areas let them congregate push the bucks back to the rest of us.

I say we should ban almost every form of hunting or transportation including but not limited to e-bikes, quads, optics compounds, trucks, trail cameras, feeders, bait! (pick any 3 or 4 from that list and my bet is you use them)

All we do is takes sides and look down our noses at the other guy just because we do it "right" and he obviously doesn't.

We all complain when folks don't do it our way but then we squeal like a mashed cat when our spot gets invaded by like-minded hunters.

Silly post Bo.

Zeke

#livelikezac

Oh, and congrats on a successful hunting season so far and good luck on your Colorado hunt!
BTW, I'd take a truck! It's a long ways to walk even for you.

Zeke

#livelikezac

But but but you banned my truck and and my bow and my ebike, and you get to keep your toys??? Rude. I guess I have no other choice but to walk and use my recurve. Dont get your knickers in a knot, I've heard legendary stories about you and from you!? Just killing time until I get to go again.

>But but but you banned my
>truck and and my bow
>and my ebike, and you
>get to keep your toys???
>Rude. I guess I have
>no other choice but to
>walk and use my recurve.
>Dont get your knickers in
>a knot, I've heard legendary
>stories about you and from
>you!? Just killing time until
>I get to go again.
>

Yes Bo, I'm a legend.... in my own mind. LOL

The helluvit is, you'd probably kill a fine buck doing it that way too. Okay, go ahead and take the truck and your weapon of choice.

You've got a couple more fine trips so have fun and enjoy your time with ole dickndirt. He's a keeper and usually floats under the social media radar but he still has true legendary status among those of us who know him!

Zeke

#livelikezac

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom