How many of you use an arm guard?

Utahelk1

Just wondering......I keep catching my arm when I shoot and I've turned it red. I find myself flinching (I don't know if I spelled that right?) when I shoot. Is it bad to use one? I've tried bending by elbow and standing different but I'm not as accurate. Just your thoughts??

Maybe your draw length is too long??? I dont use one and have not hit my arm since I shortened up my draw to what it is supposed to be.

If you could post a photo of yourself I could work you through it or figure out why your bow is hitting your arm!

check your draw, if your draw is long you will smack your arm!

check your bow hand placement. your index finger and your thumb should touch lightly. the other fingers should be at a 45 degree angle to the bow riser and they should not be touching the riser. this is important and you can see why its important if you put your bow in your hand "dont draw it back" then look at how much clearance you will have switching back and forth from all fingers on the grip then back to 45 on the grip with only index and thumb lightly touching. you will have almost an inch more clearance between your bow and your forearm.

You could also be shooting with a high shoulder. you want to be shooting with a down and back shoulder placement. this will open up some more clearance with your forarm. Go to a door jam and lean on it and focus on your shoulder while you rotate it up and down and back. you will find it is easier to hold your bow when it is down and back.

If you have fixed all of the above problems and you don't have huge forarms or are shooting an unusually small brace height bow you shouldn't have any problems with the string hitting your arm.

Last but not least bandaid is to put a string stop on your bow!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

GO BUY ONE NOW. After archery hunting for 4yrs I never used one until this year.I missed the biggest buck of my life cuz of my sweater rolling up in my strings. I stalked up on these hugh mulies within 31yards and wham 0 right in the left arm. Hit the buck right in the nose. So if you see a buck with a messed up nose. It was me :(. I use a 14in or so arm guard. Had the same problem with my new bow. I have always shot a 27dl. But with Mathews it started nailing me in the lower left arm.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-10 AT 11:01PM (MST)[p]arm guards are fine for clothing contact issues but you dont need a 14" one. that would go 2/3 the way up your arm. I will use a small arm guard in winter time to keep the string from hitting the big fat coat sleeve.

also saying mathews bows hit your arm and hoyt bows don't is nonsense imho. The bow is not the problem especially if you are dealing with the same brace height bows.

I teach so many kids to shoot and deal with contact issues with every kid at one point or another. I tell you it is defiantly form related and can be fixed unless you have massive forearms.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

When I'm shooting my longbow with its 6 1/4 brace height, yes I wear an armguard otherwise I get hit. When I'm shooting the wheels with a 7" brace height and an sts, nope.

I don't hit my arm when I shoot but I do use one when hunting to keep my jacket sleeve out of the way.

Mark

Shooting with, or without the arm guard makes no difference to my arm... But it makes a HUGE difference in whether or not my long sleeve camo gets in the way...
I always have, and always will use an arm guard to keep clothing out of the way of my string... And they are really cheap.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

+1, saw my brother miss a deer at 20 yards because of his long sleeve shirt finding the string...He takes sh** every year because of it. I wear the guard to save my shirt sleeves...

just go and get one. i only use my armguard half of the time, and i dont see a differance in my shooting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom