How Many RobinHoods???

O_S_O_K

A previous post got me to thinking about how many times I have had that "bitter sweet" experience of robin hooding my arrows (un-intentionally of course).

I have had it happen 5 times in the 20 years or so that I have been shooting a bow.

How about you guys?

I have kept all of mine hanging in the garage. Do you keep yours?

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

I've done it twice and my wife's arrows to mine three times. she's a pain to shoot with at times. So I always use the terms ladies first now and try to return the favor but Im a crappy shot.

I have had three.It was within six weeks of picking up a bow for the first time. All of them were at 30 yards. One of them my dad thought he had bumped his sight and wanted to me to shoot it so I did two times and got a robin hood, he was not super stoked about it. LOL I did keep all mine as well as the one I shot with my dads bow they are also in my garage, I was told it is super uber bad luck to take them apart.

I have done it a few times, but never kept them. After a few broken arrows you learn to spread the shots around.

Nine times for me, lots of ruined arrows. It has been a few years since I have gotten one but then again I don't shoot nearly enough as I used to.

9 times for me....lots of ruined arrows. It has been a few years since my last one but then again I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to.

Never have gotten one, got close once back about 15 years ago when I was still shooting aluminum arrows. Broke the nock off and left a little nick near the tapered point. I was less than 1/16 of an inch of getting a robin hood. Now I shoot spots cause carbon arrows are too expensive to be try to get robin hoods frequently.
WVBOWAK

You wont believe this but Ive actually done it on purpose a few times! Carbon arrows are pretty easy to robin hood.

First off I have to set the stage for one of my best robin hoods. I had an old dozen pse arrows I wanted to ruin. I did this with a witness. When i'm in good shooting shape I can blow the x out of a vegas 3 face target with my hunting bow with vanes or without vanes. So for a joke I wanted to take a dozen arrows and jam them all into the 10 ring at 20 yards and ruin them all just to do a robin hood post on archery talk with a dozen smashed arrows. The first shot was center x. The second shot you guessed it robin hood. Third shot broke the second shots nock off. So almost got triple! I decided to save that dozen for a rainy day.

Ive also done it several times on purpose to competitors arrows. LOL If there in the 12 ring im aiming at there nock.

I dont aim at the same spot any closer then 50 yards anymore unless im using pin nocks. Way to expensive!

swbuckmaster, Im curious, how do you aim at the nock?? What I mean is where do you put your pin? Are you covering the nock with your sight pin or are you putting the pin just under the knock?

GBA

Thats awesome SWBuckmaster!

I have to say I still like "Nock Hunting" and whenever we get into a friendly competition of it we always seem to ruin a few arrows :)

However, I can not honestly say that I have ever done one intentionally and I have never done it to another shooters arrows.

I have split their nocks, ripped their fletching, shot through their fletchings, creased their arrows, etc., but I have never been good enough to robin hood another archers arrow.

MSY - Yeah it is a good idea to shoot at different spots each time (thats why targets typically have multiple spots to shoot at) but every now and then I get lazy, so to speak, and more times than not I regret it, especially when I am shooting good.

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

I have come close, but I don't like ruining arrows. Now days, I do like others and do not shoot at the same spot on the targer under 50 yds.

twice. But have also ruined a few nocks as well. Our range has multiple stations for each target and we used to shoot one angle and move until my buddys arrow went right through the side of mine.

I got my second Robin Hood over the weekend. I have both of them. The first time was when practice with broadheads.

Ive got three. Two with my 101st Airborne and just a few weeks ago I got one with my Ovation. I keep the front one on my wall but the rear one is still shootable and I cant afford to put two arrows out of commission so it goes back in my quiver.

I've been shooting for about a year and a half and have done it 3 times. The first time I did it I was pretty excited but the 2nd and 3rd time there were some unfriendly words after the shot.

"Elk dont know how many feet a horse had" - Bear Claw

I have done it twice...learned my lesson after that...arrows can get expensive.

GBA
The one I did on purpose at 20 yards I just aimed at the 10 ring. My pin covers up the ten ring so I don't see the other arrow in the middle. I was intending to just wreck a dozen of arrows and got luck on the first shot. I wanted to robin hood or wrec the arrow I just got luck and actually did it on the first attempt. The cool part was I did it in front of people and they knew what I was trying to do it and they still think to this day im a better shot then I really am. LOL

The ones I've done on competitors arrows I've just aimed at their nock. Once I see their arrow is in the 12 ring a bright colored arrow is easier to aim at then then the 12 ring. It doesn't happen all the time but you do wreck a lot of fetching, nocks and shafts. This is the reason I always use pin nocks when shooting any competition where you will impact other arrows or have your arrows hit. when They bust your pin or nock you just take a pair of pliers and pull the pin out and stick another one in and go back to shooting. No arrow loss.

Right now I try and not let my 10 year old daughter shoot at the same dot at 20 yards. She just wrecks vanes, nocks ect and I hate redoing arrows. She has done it twice so I put pin nocks on her arrows. I do catch her every now and then when shes shooting with the other kids trying to robin hood their arrows. She just doesn't know its isn't going to happen with the pin nock.

I've done it twice. First time was at a bow shop. I was shooting two different bows either had sights and did it.
I looked at the guy and said "man these are some damn accurate bows". The second was my own arrows. I thing I enjoy doing it with some one else arrows than mine.

I shot for 8 years without getting one. Hit nocks regularly, but could never get it done. Changed from IBS 400's to Gold Tip XT's and I fletched them with Quikspins. Shot 3 Robin Hoods in 2 days, and almost had a 4th, but it blew the arrow out about 3" down the shaft. Must have been something in the air cause I haven't gotten one since.

Heck ya I saved those arrows!!!

Robin hoods stop being cool after a couple, then you realize it's expensive to shoot at the same spot multiple times.

I've done it once at a 3D shoot to my buddy's arrow, then the wife stepped up and one upped me by Robin Hooding mine...still have it hanging in the house.

9832rinehart09_004.jpg

?The bugle of the bull elk echo?s through the pines, the north wind moans her lonesome lullaby, he hungers for the freedom of an eagle as she flies?somewhere beyond the great divide?

Just like MuleyMinor the first 8 weeks I picked up my bow for the first time i robin hooded 3 times. All with carbon arrows. Now that I shoot aluminum/carbon core FMJ it has not happened. I've damaged a lot of nocks & fletchings but no RH.

JR

I was at the bow shop and robinhood two arrows. Went and got the shop owner for a tag. Went back shot my next arrow and he came out. I filled out the tag w my name and date and shot my 4th arrow while he was standing there and robinhooded those two! So two robinhoods in 4 arrows and haven't done it since! By the way it cost me $130 for arrows before I left....the shop owner still has them I wish I would have kept them. Didn't realize the odds.

got my third Robin Hood last night. It was bittersweet. first arrow was dead center in the X at 40 yards. Second arrow split the nock down the center and the bull dog collar split but kept the nock in place. never seen one with the nock still present. I'm over the fascination of Robin Hoods. It cost too much money.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom