How much do the later seasons really change success?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
So with the later dates this year, how much do you guys really think it'll change success rates overall? And, success on older age class bucks?

I hunted the second season and didn't see any difference from the past. Certainly no early rut action. Did bucks seem dumber this year during the 3rd than in the past? Did it seem like more rutting action was going on?

By 6th season and 3 months of continuous assault, everything is pretty well shot out around here. Same as every year. You can see it quite easily if you sit here on the porch every day.;)

Put me down as thinking length of seasons matters too. But the number of hunters matters most.

I think if we had healthy deer populations it would make a big difference. We don’t have good deer populations.

The state hunting Facebook page looked like 3rd season did some damage. And like bean said, we didn't have much to start with. CPW's plan to put a dent in mature bucks looks to be going well.

Yep i said it numerous times this year and next will be the demise of our quality. I cannot believe this was CPW's plan to curtail CWD.

3rd season hammered the deer in NW Colorado. Was out all 4th season elk hunting and seen multiple groups of does every day without a buck and if there was a buck it was barely a buck.

Just got home last night from hunting in the eastern plains. Hunted dec 1-10, all day every day. Saw 8 bucks total, none big enough to put a tag on.

I used to think the Game Commission was to protect the herds but I think all they learn in school nowadays is sell tags and get money. It is so hard to get the youth to hunt anymore.

From what I saw this year it’s gunna a crap shoot from now on. Later season, better tech, better equipment. The area I hunt is basically ruined now. Still deer but man I actually felt bad for them.

I think the factor this year was the previous bad winters in the last 5 years and the lack of fawn survival. Age classes are missing in some areas of the state. Doesn't matter when the hunts are if that age class is missing or there are very few of them left.

If you continue to have the late dates like in this 5 year structure the bucks will be thinned out. I hunted a very well respected 3rd season unit that takes a bunch of points this year and most tagged out on 140-160 bucks when they couldn't find a 180 in the first few days. I did see lots of fawns this year in all of the areas I hunted in Colorado so that bodes well for the future.

Founder, watched your video and I think I know where you were, or at least the general area. I could be wrong, but that area has an age class issue from the winters past. I did enjoy your video even though you didn't pull the trigger.

Rich

3rd season was a slaughterhouse in the area we were in. Was the in a neighboring unit during 4th and would see 50-75 does a day and didn’t see a group that had a buck over 140” all season.

10 years. It will take 10’uears before Colorado has any decent deer hunting again. At least in the NW.

It is a double whammy. Late season dates with massive increases in quotas.
No way around it this year every 3-4 year old buck was shot and a lot of 2 year olds. Next year all the 2 and 3 year olds will be shot. Unless they change the quotas immediately, it will be a decade before anything is worth hunting...

Overall, success rates will increase. Average size of bucks will also increase the first year. Then pretty fast drop on average size of bucks after next season. Will probably always be enough dinks around to fill out success rates.

I’m interested to see what state the big Muley crowd migrates to and proclaims as the new big buck state.

Man all this talk has me second guessing adding colorado as a place I want to hunt. Never hunted there. I would imagine in a area with heavy cover some decent bucks would survive

Just got home last night from hunting in the eastern plains. Hunted dec 1-10, all day every day. Saw 8 bucks total, none big enough to put a tag on.

I don’t think eastern Colorado really compares to the western slopes deer herds. At least where I hunt, they have the same seasons as last year and did not increase the quota of bucks. I hunted Dec 4-6 and got a nice buck. No, not a 180” but mature, big bodied deer and I am proud to have gotten him. Will take a deer like that any year.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom