How much Insulation

bamacpl

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-08 AT 02:16PM (MST)[p]Just wanting to know what gram insulation most people prefer in their hunting boots for the winter?

Also, I went with Danner Kestrel 600 gram insulation but was undecided if I should take them back & get more insulation. Northern UT...

That depends on alot of things...Where you are, hiking or sitting, wet or dry, type of socks, your own body's ability to withstand cold. I personally am pretty warm blooded and I only use 400gr when it is cold and or snowing, but I never sit. I am a spot and stalk kinda guy.

Just my opinion though

Aim Center Mass
rifleman.gif

Well, I mostly sit. I currently have a pair of Irish Setter 800 gram & a pair of Cabelas Speed Hunter which I believe are un-insulated...I have wore both during very cold, wet, & snow & have never had my feet cold. I am mainly wanted to see what everyone else uses & also if 1000 gram of insulation would be too much & make my feet sweat & then freeze!

Alot of the will bepend on what style of hunting you do and what the weather is like. I hunt the Southeastern unit in Utah and most of my hunting is done by sitting in the morning for a couple hours then move on to a new spot where I will sit for a while and then move again. I bought the Danner Pronghorns un-insulated along with several types of socks (linners, mid weight and heavy weight minerio wool socks). Depending on what the weather is going to be like will determine what sock combonation I ware. Unless I am sitting for a long time and the weather is realy cold my feet have yet to get cold.

400bull

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom