How much land does it take

Gator

Long Time Member
How much land does it take to be able to get landowner tags in NM. I heard that a few have only have like 5 ac. Ranches, that kind small I would think.

I know back home it like 160 ac to be able to apply for a landowner tag and then they only give ya doe tags.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-14 AT 08:46AM (MST)[p]Last year a Unit Wide landowner tag went to a person who owned 0 (zero) acres. http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...73&forum=DCForumID34&archive=yes#.U2EGffldV8E

Might have been a misprint, but there have certainly been tags for <10 acres.

Edited to add:

The Private Land Allocation Statue does not mention acreage under minimum qualifications-- just that the property must provide "meaningful benefit". There is likely much variability and discretion involved.

"19.30.5.8 PARTICIPATION REQUIREMENTS:
A. Minimum qualifications:
(1) Private lands that lie within core occupied elk range.
(2) Private lands that provide meaningful benefits to elk, at least occasionally, as determined by the
appropriate district officer or game manager.
(3) Only landowners or lessees who agree in writing to accept elk on their property will be considered.
Any landowner that files a depredation complaint regarding elk or takes action pursuant to Section 17-2-7.2 NMSA
1978 shall have automatically elected to become ineligible for continued participation in this program. Exceptions to
this may be allowed when short-term or unusual circumstances that are typically not associated with the normal
presence of elk using land and forage on the property exist. In these instances, if the landowner desires to continue
contributing to elk, the department may allow the landowner to continue participating in this system while seeking
resolution to the short-term or unusual damage pursuant to the depredation program. Evidence of depredation may
be used as documentation of elk presence to ensure the appropriate ECR has been assigned.
(4) Landowner must agree that participation is voluntary, is based on annual variation in habitat and
elk populations, and there is no guarantee of a specific number of authorizations issued each year.
(5) All participating properties annually will be subject to the requirements found in this Section.
(6) Private lands that lie within villages, towns or recorded subdivisions with covenants or ordinances
that prohibit hunting and/or the discharge of firearms will be ineligible to participate unless part of a combined
property choice under Paragraph (8) of Subsection E of 19.30.5.9 NMAC.
(7) Private lands that if hunted, would result in safety concerns as determined by the district officer
will be ineligible to participate unless allowed pursuant to a specific agreement containing provisions for minimizing
safety concerns.

Per the following I think it depends more on who you have as your local district office or game manager than anything else.

"Private lands that provide meaningful benefits to elk, at least occasionally, as determined by the appropriate district officer or game manager."

If you are good friends with your local officer you are good to go; or if you have something they want, burritos, beer, access, or a hot daughter you are good to go. There doesn't seem to be any consistency or peer review as far as I can tell on how the allocations occur to ensure proper management. I guess you couldn't expect much more from NM.

So finding the right 10 ac in the unit you hunt and getting the F&G to sign off is the ticket to a tag every year.
I wonder if you can get the F&G to pony up the "you can have a UW MB tag before you lay down the hard cold cash.
Hell if you sold the tag it could make your land payment in some units.
EXP:
Unit 10 40ac for $32,000 right smack in the middle of good elk country selling that tag for 7 years and the land would be paid off. Anyone looking for a partner.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Like I said it depends on program,etc.

Rabid,you sound like you spend too much time around Espy,or Albacrackie. Couldn't get that to work where I live.

And the places you spoke of Bulls1 are in SMALL contributing ranch program.

I believe that those few do need to be reevaluated. If the elk are eating their berries or crops they need a fence.

The program does need to be refined, but all in all it benefits elk and all hunters.
Sounds like sour grapes from some,IMHO.

Small Contributing Ranches (SCRs) have to be in the COER (prime habitat, Core Elk Range?) or the authorization is ranch only. So don't bother doing the paperwork on a 5-acre "ranch" outside the COER.

Some game management units (GMUs) have lots of SCRs signed up for the program and so authorizations are distributed by lottery, with greater chances going to larger properties. Other GMUs have very few SCRs signed up, so the chances are higher.

If the property has not been signed up in the program, and NMGF doesn't know the property, they they may schedule a walk, so yes there is some subjective evaluation being done.

I looked long and hard at a property in GMU 51 which was about 80 acres, in the COER, with water, and prairie. That property would likely recieve an authorization in nine years out of ten.

The authorizations are still limited by weapon and antler content, so your winnings may very every year.

The NMGF web page holds the data needed to evaluate your chances of getting a tag based on the property's location and size. I believe that there is also a size limit that can bump a property out of SCR status into "guaranteed every year" status.

Note also that accepting a "Unit Wide" authorization allows free trespass on your property for other hunters.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom