how much snow

elkin44

how is the winter in the gunnison basin, is there much snow?

It seems the entire country is having a extreme winter.....either really warm or really wet. Just curious.

YES, I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN KNOWING THE CONDITIONS AS WELL. I HOPE THIS IS NOT ANOTHER EXTREME YEAR OF DEER/ELK DIE OFF.
HOPING FOR MILD CONDITIONS & GOOD SURVIVAL RATES.....................YD.

A lot of the western Colorado winter range has had a healthy dose of snow and extended cold. The good news is that most animals are going into winter in good health with plenty of fat reserves, and the available forage is in pretty good shape but it would be nice to see the snow cover burn off down low rather than crust over. Here's a link to the Park Service's Web Cam at Elk Creek Campground on Blue Mesa: http://tinyurl.com/jlfbtlh

There's a foot of snow valley wide and temps haven't been above freezing for weeks. Double digits below zero have been the norm, -33 was the coldest so far. A few days of warmer weather sure would be nice.

But its a dry cold! That's what they used to say when it was 30 or 40 below in Gunnison, I lived there in the 1980s. People w semis would leave them running 24/7, they would never restart if shut down. My bicycle always started.

Gunnison trivia: What is painted behind the GBT sign on the tower w the sloped roof, Gunnison Bank & Trust building across from Mario's?

When the current bank building was being constructed (1980ish), the tower portion looked like an outhouse. So someone painted a crescent moon there, 3 feet tall, to represent an outhouse door.

Just wondering how severe the winter is for wildlife in NW Colorado, as in the Craig-Meeker area. We hunted 3rd season this past fall and the grass was higher than I can remember seeing it. The deer and elk should have gone into the winter fat and sassy. We don't want to see another killer winter like 07-08.

Deep snow and consistent temps below zero at night and teens during the day for the past several weeks. This seems yo be the case from Rangely to Meeker, to Craig. Most deer I see are browsing on the sage tops as grass is tough to get too. Elk are much tougher and they seem to be fairing better digging through the snow. However last night we drove the range north of Rangely and no sign of deer or elk not even tracks, small herd of antelope though. Seems the critters have moved to other areas. Not sure where yet.

Over by Maybell the elk are well settled into the winter range with big herd numbers. Deer numbers in this same area is signigicantly lower than 4 weeks ago. Seems the deer have moved on too.

So far this is the most snow on the ground that we have seen in several years.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

As the snow fell this weekend the temps rose to a balmy 24 above zero. A bit windy and snow was drifting along the sage. Inbetween the sage maybe a foot of snow, but light and fluffy. Saw some nice bucks. 3 bucks for every doe I saw. They look good right now, but it could change. Did see a few dead deer on the road. More deer South of the Lake City bridge. Ice jams are causing some problems on the waterways and they are worried about them breaking loose causing a wall of water 5-8 feet high.

Looks like a big storm for the basin for Sun, Mon. Could be a foot of better down low. Going to be a long couple of months at this rate. Fingers crossed.

Well I'm no Wildlife Biologist, but this could turn into a tough one. In Gunni we have had weeks of sub zero weather with typical early season dry powdery snow. Absolutely no base so even in crotch deep snow, snowshoes were pretty useless. From what I could see the critters were doing pretty good paw shoveling for forage in even belly deep snow. However, it warmed up plenty this weekend and now we are getting dumped on. I'm guessing if we get a couple feet of fresh snow out of this and it goes sub zero with out the south facing slopes melting off, it is going to be a real challenge for the critters. Don't know till it's done around here, but we have the potential now for a bad one. I figure the critters burned a lot of calories in the sub zero weeks. The warm up could cause a fair snow base to form. Throw another foot or two of fresh snow on top of that.... We are due for a killer winter if you believe in the 1/10 year cycle around here.

Well we just got to see how the next 3 months go. I have seen some of the heaviest snows around here in Mar and April. Or doubtful and yet hopeful, but maybe the south slopes will burn off on some mild mid to upper 20 degree days with good sun. Just got to hope for the best at this point.

Looked at the Long range forecast for temps for Feb for Gunnison and the average for the month ..... 31.6 degrees for the Highs and 0.13 degrees for low temps. This, if you believe in long range forecasts. Any critter in the Basin is a tough SOB in a normal year..The wildlife amazes me in what they can endure.

Well this one didn't cover ALL the sage tops...Had strong winds from the East for a while this morning...odd. Lots of shed out bucks. Looking at a small two point who dropped one side. He is eating Brussel sprouts that frosted on us before we could cut them. I believe this shed out means they are under stress. I have seen two fawns and one mature buck die so far that were not road kill.

7 day shows the -20 cycle starting again Wednesday AM... I wish to hell HWY 50 was a 55 MPH zone dusk till dawn... But 135 is and they are still cord wood the first 14 miles. Nocturnal traffic is hard on our deer!
Slow the bleep down!!!

14 inches fell in my yard in CO Springs since Sunday night. Some wind, deeper drifts. There was bare ground before that. The neighborhood deer are eating junipers. No antlers shed yet here.

Only -5 this morning warmer then I thought. Plowed snow yesterday, Most we have had since 2008...watched a lot of deer running/lunging to get through it. The Momentum helps them get there but it is energy expensive.

NOAA says,
Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 6. Wind chill values as low as -35. West northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight
Partly cloudy, with a low around -18. Wind chill values as low as -30. North wind around 5 mph.

Thursday
A 20 percent chance of snow after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 12. Wind chill values as low as -30. North northwest wind around 5 mph becoming west in the morning.

Thursday Night
A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -5. Wind chill values as low as -15. Calm wind becoming west northwest around 5 mph after midnight

I say.. The recovery from 07-08 is over, Now we start another one,

Nobody likes the sound of that. Maybe all hope isn't lost, the 15 day forecast does show a warming trend with little to no snow. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Damn, just when I thought global warming was going to kick in and give the deer a winter free ride for the next 10 or 15 years.

Shaping up to be one for the record books I'm afraid (and not B&C records) Not so much as a knife edge of rocks showing thru the white around here, only sage tops showing are the chest high ones. High country has 7-10 feet and it just keeps coming.

Amazing how balmy -5 can feel after those brisk -35 w/stiff breeze days eh Tomichi?? You can go out and fork hay in a heavy shirt and be comfy.

How are those weakly southern midget deer doing physically so far?? (besides the dead ones!)Seeing many ribs as of yet? Ours have amazing food if they can get to it, the bottom of every excavation is a smorgasbord, but damn do they have to paw for awhile to get there. Not many weak fawns yet, saw 2 that were not long for this world so far but the train and cars are taking the dumb ones.

Eagles are smiling way too much, wait till they find out I have a new apple-smoked eagle marinade/recipe... that'll wipe the grin off their yellow beaks... Bout 15 feeding a hundred yards east right now on last night's Darwin award winner.

Thanks for the reports, guys. I've had the Gunnison Basin on my bucket list for a long time. If this comes to be, not sure I'll live long enough to hunt it. It's nice to have MM for reports like this. I respect what you say because you've earned your stripes living and hunting in that great country.

My best to you. Hope Mother Nature cuts you some slack starting now.

We've had winter in eastern Wyoming, but it's not that bad. Thank goodness for our howling winds; it bares off the ridges.

Further north nothing better to report. It was -6 this morning. high yesterday at the house reaxhed 17 degrees. For Rifle that is cold. Luckily the sage is still providing food above the snow level but the deer are really digging as well. The smnall group at work are spending lots of time pawing at the ground but seem to be holding weight. South slopes seems to be melting off a touch and providing the deer with travel routes etc. But in the flats near the river there is 20" of snow and the going gets slow. We are getting a lot of road kill as the deer have started to use the road edges for travel and feeding.

I plan to be out chasing rabbits on Sunday with the kids in areas further north. It will be interesting to see what we find. I have heard that Craig has been really cold and very snowy.

Biggest difference between 07/08 is the last couple of years have had good moisture so there is better feed and the deer were in better shape as well.

It will definitely be an interesting year. A lot depends on the next couple of weeks and the storm track.

A couple more days of moderate cold, than the long term prediction is for warmer days, and no precipitation.

Let's hope for the best, for the sake of our herds. I have the points for the 3rd season in Unit 55, as a NR. I'm hoping to hunt this year. I'm waiting before applying. I live way too far away to scout, but if someone has a couple of tips for me, feel free to pm. I love studying maps and Google Earth, but nothing beats local knowledge.

Martin

2/5/2016

Colorado Parks and Wildlife monitoring severe winter conditions, impacts to wildlife a concern

MEEKER, Colo. - Colorado Parks and Wildlife managers in the state's Northwest Region say the most recent blast of snow and frigid temperatures has created conditions similar to some of the most extreme winters in the state during the past 35 years. With temperatures dropping well below zero and deep, powdered snow drifts layered over crust limiting big game's access to available forage, CPW officials say conditions could lead to increased wildlife mortality in portions of the region unless the weather moderates significantly.

The area experiencing the most severe impacts includes Moffat, Routt and Rio Blanco counties. Eagle, Garfield and Jackson counties have developed severe winter conditions more recently and managers in Grand and Summit counties are also expressing concern.

"I've just returned from a tour of the area and based on what I saw, we will likely see some significant impacts to wildlife," said CPW Regional Manager Ron Velarde. "But people need to understand that, despite how damaging conditions are right now, wildlife has been experiencing and surviving severe weather for eons without human intervention, so it's important to have the proper perspective."

Colorado Parks and Wildlife's Northwest Region is home to moose, mule deer, greater sage-grouse, elk, pronghorn and many other species that may be affected; however, the impact to the mule deer population is a specific concern. Over the last decade, the species has seen a continued drop in numbers in parts of Colorado and across the Western United States due to a variety of factors.

Wildlife officials say that many species, especially deer, were in excellent physical condition heading into winter due to good moisture and the subsequent abundance of summer forage, and Western Colorado had been experiencing mild winter conditions until just before Christmas. In addition, CPW's multi-faceted mule deer management program has been yielding positive results. Although their overall numbers are well below objective, survival rates of adult and fawn mule deer in northwestern Colorado have been very high during the last few mild winters.

Nevertheless a drop in numbers where winter conditions are the most severe is expected this year.

According to Area Wildlife Manager Bill de Vergie of Meeker, the severe winter has led to numerous reports of conflicts, primarily elk and deer entering private land and causing damage to haystacks and utilizing cattle feed lines.

"All we can do is respond as best we can on a case-by-case basis while nature takes its course," he said. "We can usually influence many of the threats to deer populations using a variety of management actions, but we have no control over weather. In fact it has been the the absence of severe winters and drought that has allowed the deer to obtain good health prior to this winter."

Although wildlife managers are using limited amounts of hay and other types of feed to bait wildlife away from livestock feed grounds on private property, the agency has received numerous inquiries from the public suggesting that a large-scale feeding program be implemented to address potential starvation.

"By policy, certain conditions have to be met before an emergency feeding program can be considered and we are not there yet," said Velarde. "But what is very important for the public to understand is that, although we may see short term effects from feeding, our experience has shown that it has had limited long-term benefits overall."

Velarde adds that feeding operations in areas where chronic wasting disease has been detected, including many areas within the Northwest Region, can only be approved by the CPW Commission. It limits emergency winter feeding for mule deer to those areas where winter mortality of adult female deer is expected to exceed 30 percent.

According to Senior Terrestrial Biologist Brad Petch, the agency is monitoring adult doe and fawn survival with several hundred radio-collars. In addition, CPW personnel are conducting extensive visual observations of herds and inspections of carcasses to determine body condition and cause of death. Based on current observations, mortality is less than 10 percent.

"That percentage can certainly change quickly under such conditions," said Petch. "Our personnel are keeping a very close watch on conditions and mortality, and we will continue to do so through the rest of the winter."

Colorado Parks and Wildlife reminds the public that feeding wildlife at any time can be very detrimental to their long-term survival, in addition to being illegal. Some non-natural foods can lead to severe digestive ailments that can cause death in ungulates like mule deer and elk. Feeding concentrates wildlife, increasing the likelihood of disease transmission. In addition, it can lead to a dependency on human-provided foods, change natural migration patterns and attract predators.

"We understand that people want to help in situations like these," said Velarde. "But feeding should only be done by professionals, if it's done at all. If people take matters into their own hands, it will likely do more harm than good, leading to wildlife deaths, and can also result in citations and fines."

Velarde adds that the most effective way for people to help wildlife stressed by winter conditions is to limit activities on winter ranges, where deer and elk are finding shelter and foraging for what food remains available. Human-caused disturbance leads wildlife to expend critical energy necessary for survival during the coldest time of the year, he said.

To learn more about mule deer and Colorado's effort to address their decline, see Colorado's West Slope Mule Deer Strategy.

Seems like I read the same thing in 07-08!! Wait until it is too late!! Takes a solid two weeks just to get the company to start making the special pellets for the deer.. Thought they may have learned a lesson in 07-08 by waiting too long...Not too sure how it will change migration routes since they are already on their Winter range...30% of adult does will probably be met with all the ones getting smacked on the roads trying to find easier food and routes and salt. I believe management of our deer herds isn't standing by and watching them starve..I understand that it has to be done on a limited basis, but when needed it should be done..They were so late making a decision last time that deer made it to the feeding sites,layed down and died right there. You just can't wait on the weather to see if it gets warmer because by then it is too damn late....Fingers crossed on this one!!!

The last storm dropped a lot of snow on the winter range for unit 53. The coyotes were already taking a toll on the fawn population and I can only imagine what the extra snow has made their job a lot easier. Hopefully the forecasted warm weather will show up soon. Either way there is definitely going to be some impact to the herd.

Well the 10 forecast for the area is looking good. We have a huge pressure system heading into the state. Temps in Rifle are expected to near the 50s for a solid week. Further north in Craig highs in the upper 20 and low 30s. Lows in the single digits.

Not great but a good change from the highs in the single digits and lows in the negative double digits.

Finger crossed.

10 day for Gunnison looks pretty good. Above freezing everyday with many days in the 40's and no snow to speak of.

Is the weather as I read on weather website ?
I see highs in the 40s and no snow, for now and the next couple weeks ? That would give the animals a break...

Looks like temps in low 50's in the GJ area this week i'm holding out hope they come through this ok

After much trying I finally had an outfitter in the Gunnison area talk to me. he said the winter was bad and the losses will be heavy. he's not booking hunters at this time and won't until he sees what's left this summer.

Think he's right? obviously there is a problem but I'm not hearing such dire reports elsewhere.

Doesn't make you want to jump right out and burn a bunch of points.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-16 AT 09:01AM (MST)[p]I drove the Gunny Basin the other day. Granted, I was just passing through, but I didn't see near the carcasses along the road as I have in the past (like in 07-08). There were lots of south-facing slopes that were bare. As a comparison, I drove north of Craig to the Wyoming line, and it was terrible, and more snow, as very few slopes were bare, and more deer/elk carcasses than I've ever seen.

Guys who live there will know more, but that's what I saw . . .

Was just there yesterday visiting a buddy. Even with a little bit of new snow there was a lot of open sage. We glassed up quite a few deer off the beaten path doing well (from a county road). Not the doom of 2007

You guy's got me wondering, so a friend talked to one of the head biologists up there....Fawn mortality was a little above average..Adult mortality was a little below average...Adults look extremley well. I think the average Mortality for the area is in the 30-35% range. Hope this helps out.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom