How old is this ram?

yotebuster17

I thought it would be a fun pic to post to see what age my avatar ram was. Biologist said 13, there’s one ring that’s right at or below the cape that’s tricky for me to draw out. * Edited to be less of an A hole*

IMG_4899.jpeg
IMG_5091.jpeg
IMG_5087.jpeg

Last edited:
Since SS! says its next to impossible to age sheep, I thought it would be a fun pic to post to see what age my avatar ram was. Biologist said 13, there’s one ring that’s right at or below the cape that’s tricky for me to draw out. That’s what I came up with and that’s what everyone else that’s looked at him says too but maybe they’re all misguided and there’s no way to know how old this ram is?

View attachment 140357View attachment 140358View attachment 140356
Where did I say it was impossible to age sheep?

Nice ram! What guide service did you use?

“Myself, my two brothers and my two buddies guide service”. Look em up. They bust a55 and kill big sh1t.
I’m surprised. I really am. wouldn’t think you could cut your way out of a paper bag. But honestly sheep are some of the easiest animals to hunt so 🤷

Hardest part of most sheep hunts is getting the tag.

Where did I say it was impossible to age sheep?
Still waiting for you to say where I said this?

Also where’s a link to showing the accuracy of counting annuli? Or are you too busy pointing out tooth aging accuracy?

Are you saying counting rings is 100% accurate?

I’m surprised. I really am. wouldn’t think you could cut your way out of a paper bag. But honestly sheep are some of the easiest animals to hunt so 🤷

Hardest part of most sheep hunts is getting the tag.
Sheep are easy to kill. Finding a big one in a unit with 8 tags and killing him before anyone else gets to him is the tough part. We were in there for 8 days before the season, went about it like an antelope hunt since these rams don’t timber up much. Figured I’d put all the effort in finding one first and then hopefully kill him asap on opener. Worked out. Yes getting the tag was all luck, if I could’ve afforded it I woulda bought the gov tag though, just for you.

Sheep are easy to kill. Finding a big one in a unit with 8 tags and killing him before anyone else gets to him is the tough part. We were in there for 8 days before the season, went about it like an antelope hunt since these rams don’t timber up much. Figured I’d put all the effort in finding one first and then hopefully kill him asap on opener. Worked out. Yes getting the tag was all luck, if I could’ve afforded it I woulda bought the gov tag though, just for you.
Sweet! Do you feel like 8 tags is a lot for that unit? Beautiful ram no doubt. Full body mount?

Also where’s a link to showing the accuracy of counting annuli? Or are you too busy pointing out tooth aging accuracy?

Are you saying counting rings is 100% accurate?
Interesting angle and I guess I will stand corrected on the annuli of teeth being moderately accurate vs horn annuli being gospel. Probably both need to be taken with a grain of salt, especially in areas where the rams don’t get winter and rut at the same time.

Sweet! Do you feel like 8 tags is a lot for that unit? Beautiful ram no doubt. Full body mount?
Yeah waiting on a full body mount on him. I only saw one other hunter. He actually had his camp packed in by an outfitter and could have shot this ram with a long range rifle from his tent flap, but didn’t ever see him up there. I found out later one of the statewide tag holders was coming in to get him with an outfitter but their forest permits held them up so they weren’t there on opening day. I saw 2-3 other rams that were old rams, atleast 10. I think they want the average age at 6-7 and older rams keep coming out so they keep raising the tags in response.

Yup,
He's a beautiful old ram.
12-13 from what I see, but pics don't always show it all.
And having two Bighorn tags in one year is still simply outrageous luck!

Yeah waiting on a full body mount on him. I only saw one other hunter. He actually had his camp packed in by an outfitter and could have shot this ram with a long range rifle from his tent flap, but didn’t ever see him up there. I found out later one of the statewide tag holders was coming in to get him with an outfitter but their forest permits held them up so they weren’t there on opening day. I saw 2-3 other rams that were old rams, atleast 10. I think they want the average age at 6-7 and older rams keep coming out so they keep raising the tags in response.
Great ram and cool story. The rams don't usually hang out on that south face from what I've seen but when they're so old their teeth are falling out they probably go there to die haha!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom