How old

bulls1

At what age did you take your youngster to hunter ed? I have an 8 year old who is begging to go hunting. When I was growing up back east you had to be 12 before you could hunt. I just am on the fence about starting him to early?

Jason

Just Do it.

You are a great father with good ethics & the right type of person to start a kid that is young, especially your own son.

What are you waiting for?

Get him in a hunters ed class, it will take years before he draws a tag anyways!!!

you can always put him in a hunters ed class again later if necessary.

My son was 10 when he started. I felt that was the right age for him. You'll know when your son is ready.

4.5 years

My boy has been out scouting and camping with me. I let him bring along one of his toy guns to carry. I haven't made him carry a pack yet. We usually hike away from the truck until he's tired enough that I can't stand his nagging, which stops as soon as we turn around. He now insists on having a tailgate lunch which he apparently thinks is the correct ritual. He also gives me grief if the sun is already up when we get started. I'm already teaching him about "deer season" and "licence" (he used to think we could kill whatever whenever, and talking about "black angus tags doesn't help).

Start him with little steps, early.

When its time for him to add the killing part to the hunting depends entirely on the boy's disposition.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-11 AT 05:04PM (MST)[p]My dad and I are Hunter ed instructors in Taos. There is no age limit but we recommend the age of 10 just because the student is more mature. The more mature they are, the more they pay attention in class and get better test scores. If they get a 100% on the written test the first time they take it they get a slip signed by one of the instructors for a chance to win an antlerless elk hunt in the Vermejo. Chances are pretty good on getting a tag if they get a 100% on the written test. We have noticed in the past that the younger students tend to get low scores on the test and do not pass and have to take the test over again until they pass, but the age of these students tend to be around 6 years old. My little brother and I both took our hunter ed when we reached the age of 10 and so will my little sister when she becomes that age.

70% on the written test is needed to pass.
and
75% on the Proficiency test is needed to pass.

The choice is entirely up to you. If you feel he is ready then do it.
Hope this helps.

If your son thinks he's ready, then sign him up for hunters ed.

There could be an age cut off to be able to take the class.

Good luck to your son.

Eldorado

8 years old was age my son got his hunters ed and shot his first deer and pig.

It makes a big difference if you can get him out shooting a lot before it.

Both my daughters took it at 10, with my oldest taking her oryx that same year.

As mentioned by Elksniper ( a heckuva model for youth hunters in this state ), 10 is about right.

I found it helped that they had a STRONG grasp on reading. Though new mexico is really good about working with the students that are younger, even reading the test to those younger than 11.

As said by 1Fast and NMPaul, GET HIM IN THE FIELD as soon and as often as you can. Being exposed to firearms so they aren't a "Big SCARY Deal" but rather something he knows about, respects, and knows he can ask you about, rather than something that seems like a mystery, and he feels he has to "sneak" to see/touch.

Remember how much our parents saying "STAY AWAY FROM BEER!" worked with us?

The youth are our future, and you are an awesome dad bringing him into this lifetime passion of yours/ours.

NM is such a great state for youth and hunting you are in the right place!!

Look at the NM Hunter's Ed page for the online training ( a great place to test the waters on his comprehension/absorption of the subjects ), this is the first step in getting in the classes anyway, and then sign him up!

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/education/hunter_ed/index.htm

Know that they fill up fast!!! Today I logged in the young man that is mentoring with me, for the class Nov 12-13, 30 slots, and they had to be filled in something like 15 minutes. I am so thankful we got a seat ( we have been trying since May, but with school, sports, life... )

NMYB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom